Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...

Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Man I want this so bad it's not funny - finally be able to mess with the Bosch box instead of having to change to aftermarket.

So here's the golden question - what kind of price point are you trying to hit?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maciek
Russell,

Great idea, I just wish you had posted this a few days earlier. I just threw in your chips on Saturday and am very happy! Thanks!
I hate chips, I really do.

I am very glad to hear you are happy, that makes me happy!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by facboy
i'm going to ask a stupid question...i take it it will only work with 951max files etc? i'm thinking of getting a vitesse maf (and turbo) etc, but i'd be better off getting a vitesse chipboard to go with that wouldn't i? it'd be cool to be able to use it with any vendor's chips/maps - i hate pulling apart the dme...but i don't really know if that would be possible?
Actually no, that's not the case at all. I'm trying to expand the market, not restrict it. The device can be loaded with any chip file by any vendor. I'm not going to lock anyone into using my products.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
He stated that in his link....

Rogue
Old 11-13-2006, 10:25 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by sharky47
Man I want this so bad it's not funny - finally be able to mess with the Bosch box instead of having to change to aftermarket.

The break-out box I'm targeting at 250.00. The tuning software is something I've yet to develop, but will probably market in at about 200.00 bucks. As for buying my chip/software for it, if you are a new client it's the cost of the box plus retail chip, total 499, it comes pre-loaded with the chip for your car, and any needed adjustments are made live online for you. You then just download a new file and plug it into the car. If you're an existing customer you'll get the box with your chip file pre-loaded on it, and access to free version upgrades as they become available, and new tunes for 100 upgrade just like the chip when you add mods, only you download it online and plug it right into the car.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
Actually no, that's not the case at all. I'm trying to expand the market, not restrict it. The device can be loaded with any chip file by any vendor. I'm not going to lock anyone into using my products.

Regards,
Russell
my apologies, i should have worded that better - it will only work with maps that have been put into the correct format i assume? i don't know much about the vitesse chipboard but i thought that it functioned a little differently to a 'normal' chip, ie it isn't a map lookup per se, instead it does a calculation using a transfer function. obviously at the end of the day the output is the same format. is that something that this device could support?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

my apologies, i should have worded that better - it will only work with maps that have been put into the correct format i assume? i don't know much about the vitesse chipboard but i thought that it functioned a little differently to a 'normal' chip, ie it isn't a map lookup per se, instead it does a calculation using a transfer function. obviously at the end of the day the output is the same format. is that something that this device could support?
Sounds like its going to support the standard motronic binary file format.
You can adapt an EEPROM to work in place of the dme EPROM which could then be laptop programmed etc, maybe something along those lines. Nice product. Brian (beab) has posted about EEPROM conversion in the past.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I'm not aware of the Vitesse chip-board function. A chip or image thereof must be in a format the DME can read, if it is not, the car won't work. The transfer function in the stock software is an array of values that convert the AFM voltage signals into plot/load data to correspond to the fuel/timing maps in the software. Actually it's not the actual voltage, that is an analog value the computer can't understand, so it goes through an analog to digital converter which transforms it into a byte value. The AFM transfer function in the stock chip is an array of modifiers that act on these digital voltage values. A MAF chip is one in which the AFM transfer function has been modified to accomodate the MAFs voltage/load/plot points. I am working on MAF chips now as well, and that software change will have no bearing on the function of the break-out box. It will hold data just as if it were a chip, and the DME computer will see it as a chip. So loading software into it is the same as changing chips, only easier.

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Russel, this is a great way of minimizing the need to go plodding around in fragile 20 year old electronics! If I were keeping my DME and KLR on my build, I'd definitely be going to you for electronics, paired with a Lindsey Turbo. If I were to build another Motronic based motor I know who I will be calling. Keep up the great work - developing new products for old cars is a labor of love and many of us appreciate it even if we aren't going to use the product.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Russell,
Let me start off by saying fantastic idea. Anyone who has pulled open their footwell more than once knows how valuable this will be. With regards to the ability to customize the code for a particular car, what sensor log data would you need/want to make recommendations for changes for a custom tune? Could you walk thru how you envision this being used by your customers with regards to optimizing the code in the DME chip for their particular car?

One of these days I'll have to take a picture of all the stuff crammed in my footwell. Pulling the EBC module, HD radio module, sat radio module and opening just accessing the DME box in my car is major PITA!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Russell,

YOU DA MAN!!

I may just have to keep my 951 now...........lol
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by RK951
Russell,
Let me start off by saying fantastic idea. Anyone who has pulled open their footwell more than once knows how valuable this will be. With regards to the ability to customize the code for a particular car, what sensor log data would you need/want to make recommendations for changes for a custom tune? Could you walk thru how you envision this being used by your customers with regards to optimizing the code in the DME chip for their particular car?

One of these days I'll have to take a picture of all the stuff crammed in my footwell. Pulling the EBC module, HD radio module, sat radio module and opening just accessing the DME box in my car is major PITA!
Aside from being a PITA as you mention, I grit my teeth every time I pull the two boards in the DME apart, just waiting for that fatal SNAP! I hate getting into these things, I know everyone else does too.

Currently customers send me a myriad of data ranging from dyno files/print-outs, mafterburner logs, zeitronix logs, etc. And surpisingly enough, butt-dyno info. You'd be amazed how effective the butt is in tuning. I take all the input I can and do the best I can with it. Currently if someone has an oddball setup and it takes more than one attempt to get it right on, it's time consuming and a PITA, for me and the customer. This product will allow me to essentially dial your car right in remotely.

I tend to create a lot of work for myself by not being satisfied with my customer's car running 'good enough', I have to make it perfect or I'm not happy with it. This product will make my life a lot easier, and my customers a lot happier. And one day, I may even have some time to spend on my own car!

Regards,
Russell
Old 11-14-2006, 02:48 AM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

Russell, this sounds great! How about creating some files without fuel or spark tables as an anti-theft measure. That way when you down load that file if someone broke in and tried to hot wire the car it wouldn't even start. Just don't forget to take your laptop with you or they'll steal it with your "running" program.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that you'll be shy of testers or mules, but if you need another, let me know. Just a note on those chips you sold my friend: he was not very familiar with the piggyback, he is now, but we had him up and spot on in 5 datalog runs. It would have been 3 I think, had he put his foot in it in the same spot each time AND keep his foot down. Good job!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Thanks Bret, he said he wasn't that familiar with it. I told him he would learn a lot about it Thanks for helping him out, you're a good guy.

Regards,
Russell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAXTRONIC, sooner than we thought...