Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Victoracers or ToyoRA1 Wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006 | 12:35 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Victoracers or ToyoRA1 Wear

I searced a few threads and maybe overlooked it but....

For those of you running DE, not race, who are or have used the listed tires above, which one has given you the better wear?

The track car you see in the avatar weighs 2550#, 1/2 tank of gas. The alignment for the car has the inside temps about 10-14° warmer than the outside on tire temp on the fronts and about 6-8° warmer in the rear( I think front camber is -2.5, R is -1.5 and I can't remember Toe and Castor - he sets suspension, I tune ). The car goes to TWS, Hallett, Mempis, and will make an event at Barber Motorsports this year and maybe, just maybe Road Atlanta.

The Victoracers performed well, got some great wear out of them; started the pressures at 26 F and 28 R. You could really tell though when it was time for tires, because they would feel greasy when warm and that was it for those.
The Toyo's, just on the second event and started pressure at 28 F and 30 R, I really liked them. They felt really sticky, I think more so than the Kuhmos, even driving back to back sessions in DE, as I share a car. The wear on them, after two events, seemed like they are wearing a bit better to me than the Kuhmos - but it will be time to get another set on the way before spring, so I was just looking for some past experiences to help tip the purchasing power. TIA.
Old 11-04-2006 | 12:40 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I have had both brands and I feel loyal to the kumho tires I have had great success with at least 5 sets over the past 5 years, I usually get a season of autox and de out of my victoracers except for this last set due to rubbing a tire became prematurely corded.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-04-2006 | 01:07 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I run the Toyo RA/1's daily, and have used them in DE's. in a DE setting, if you buy them shaved, they'll last a couple of track days... espescially if you spin the car a lot (like me...) but, in a DD situation, hell, they last a while... I've got about 2000 miles on em, and they're not bad at all... this time they weren't shaved...
Old 11-04-2006 | 01:14 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

2 track days?!? what are you doing at the track, drifting?

I've never heard of them lasting that few days.
Old 11-04-2006 | 01:16 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris luckett
2 track days?!? what are you doing at the track, drifting?

I've never heard of them lasting that few days.
What are you doing in the 951 forums?
Old 11-04-2006 | 01:38 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

trying to stay away from the "can I turbo my na" threads
Old 11-04-2006 | 01:56 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

I like the RA1's much better. They are faster, don't get greasy like the Victoracers after 15-20 minutes into a session, and have better wear. The RA1's also stay sticky up until they cord. Although you're running more spring than me (I ran 400 #) and had to run 2.8-3.0 deg negative camber upfront to get even wear on the RA1's. Run the RA1'a at 36-39 psi hot - once you hit 40+, they get very greasy. The key to RA1's is to have an extra set of wheels so you can run the unitl the cord - it will take longer than you think. Also, speaking with Bob Vilven of Vilven Tire (supplys the pro series that use the Toyos as a spec tire) you are better getting them slightly shaved to 6/32" - they will last just as long and stay stickier. I have always bought them shaved and get 14-16+ days out of them.
Old 11-04-2006 | 02:21 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info all, thanks Skip. I too like the Toyo's better, they were great at Hallett. Skip, did you get them to heat cycle them or did you do it? We did the last set ourselves.
Old 11-04-2006 | 02:23 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

I can't compare to the VictoRacers, since I've never used them. I had been using Pilot Sport Cups, and decided to try RA1's this year. I got some abnormal wear due to a handling issue, but as I dialed out the handling issue the abnormal wear seemed to subside. Definitely keep them under 40psi, or they really lose grip. Full tread I thought they were aweful, big time tread squirm during braking. On their 5th day (from full tread) I was able to get a personal record lap at WGI, so they can be faster than MPSC's. I will probably buy another set when needed.
Old 11-04-2006 | 02:28 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Ski, do a search on the racing forum. I know this has been discussed before on several occasions. I don't remember the race vs DE usage mix. IIRC, the consensus has been that the Toyos last marginally longer than the kuhmos, but they have more consistent performance over their life.
Old 11-04-2006 | 02:28 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I wish that I had remembered to take my Robic to Hallett and our Hot Lap was dead. Not to count your lap times at a DE but the groups at Hallett were safe, fun, and damn fast. There were some "air boys" who spun in front of me several times but there were other times, when I chose to grid last, that I had open track for the first few laps then I started catching and having to pass, but I would liked to have known the lap times on those clear laps because the car felt really good. Hallett, if you go there, to me, it is more fun CCW - you still work but it's more fun than CW.

thanks Chris, I'll do that - sometimes I forget that forum is there
Old 11-04-2006 | 02:47 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I also would say that the RA-1s are a faster tired compared to the victoracer. I had used victoracers for years. Last track event I did in another car (my car has been "down" for at least 1.5 years :cry was on RA-1s. They felt like a faster tire. I have my fuchs in my closet with some victoracers that I need to have replaced when I get my car back together.

Getting to your pm ski. Was down at travis' place last night after we hit some ***** at the range.
Old 11-04-2006 | 03:21 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Where do you purchase ToyoRA1's ?
"Tire Rack" doesn't seem to have them.
Old 11-04-2006 | 03:47 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Never heat cycled them. Everyone I talk to - including Vilven - said there wass no need with the RA1's. I guess I can't compare with vs. without, but I have gotten the best wear by far out of the RA1's, and never had any problems with them getting hard.

As far as race vs DE - if you going to race Hoosiers are still the king , but the RA1's last 3 times longer than the Hoosiers so its a questions of economics. I ran a set of Hoosier Grand Am scrubs this summer after I corded my RA1's. The Hoosiers scrubs were probably 1+ sec faster the first weekend I put them on, but have gotten slower every weekend since. I've had several sets of regular (non Grand-Am) Hoosiers, like the responsiveness of the squarer, stiffer sidewall, and they are definitely faster initially, but they are $300 more and last 1/3 as long, so for a DE'er there is not way they make sense.
Old 11-04-2006 | 03:52 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by tconn
Where do you purchase ToyoRA1's ?
"Tire Rack" doesn't seem to have them.
Vilven Tire - (Illinois) - 800-251-0017

They don't have a website, but are heavily involved in racing, have the capability to shave them (recommended - have to ask to only have shave to 6/32"), and have the best prices of anyone around.

Quick Reply: Victoracers or ToyoRA1 Wear