Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Owner after waiting for so long!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 AM
5speed300
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner after waiting for so long!!

Hey everyone,
I posted a thread up a few weeks ago about a 951 I was looking at that needed some work...well it turns out I decided to get a better one. I picked up my 1986 951 a couple of days ago and drove it to NC from SC. The car was awesome on the highway and I just love it. It has about 180,000 miles (ODO broke at 171,000), but has had alot of work done (new rod bearings and more gaskets than I can count) and the engine runs beautifully.

There are only a couple problems that bother me, when I make tight left turns, there is an awful grinding/rubbing/vibration from what seems to be the passenger side rear. Also, when I accelerate hard that same area squats down alot more than the drivers side, and when I make quick turning transitions to the left at speeds over about 20mph, the front quickly goes where it wants, but it feels like the rear end has to take a minute to set before it follows.

Anyone have any ideas? I used the search feature but didnt really find anyone with the same problem.

Other than that problem I'm in love with the car, and once I get this issue sorted out I will be completely obsessed! Here are a few pictures...

the red one is my friends 83 NA

Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Nice car and welcome to the club. I'll let some of the more experienced folks chime in here about the grinding noises but I was wondering if you have records for this car. Any idea when the t-belt was last changed?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

You may be able to get a handle on your rear end issues by simple visual and manual inspection. Get the right rear up in the air and start shaking and rocking things. Could be rear wheel bearing or trailing arm issues. Probably not the CV as the left generally fails before the right and the symptom is not so much a grinding noise as a popping/clicking sound. But, long story short, a good look at the rear trailing arm, shock and sway bar and a good tug on the wheel/hub and half shaft may be revealing.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Absolutely Beautiful. Do you mind if I ask what you paid? ( I am in the market and am trying to gauge pricing)

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
future
Banned

Does your car site flat i.e. is one side lower than the other when looking at the rear of the car square on when sat on level ground?

If the car is sitting down under hard acceleration then it is probably a case that the rear shocks are past there best and need changing (check the service records to see when last changed). It could also be a case that the torsion bar indexing is different on each side form a poorly equipped mechanic doing some work on the car during its life. Measure front the top of the arch to the top of the wheel rim to get some sort of indication. One the rear hatch and press down on the car hard to see if the suspension is bobbing. It should raise up and then settle on the way down without any additional up and down movement. Also have a look under the rear of the car at the shocks to see if there is evidence of fluid leaking out of one or both shocks.

Lovely car and I wish you many happy miles with your new Porker.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
5speed300
Racer

Thanks guys! Yes I do have many records for the car and the timing was recently changed. All the maintenance is up to date, it even had the headers replaced with the factory updates. One thing I need to check on is the fuel rail recall.

I will put the car up in the air this weekend to refinish the wheels so I can shake/rattle some stuff around then. I hope its not the LSD/gearbox making noises. If it was the LSD wouldnt the problem exist when turned both right and left?

Future, the car does sit flat and both sides are pretty even. My dad has had many porsches and had an early NA 944 and said the squatting problem seems to be related to torsion bars. The car has Weltmeister 250lb springs and Koni adjustables that were installed in 2004, so I dont think those have gone bad, but I guess its possible.

Rogue, I paid $7250. Maybe a little high, but considering how well taken care of the motor is and the extras I got with the car I'm happy. It was owned by a PCA member so I know it was taken care of and really besides this rear end issue the car is mechanically a 9/10. The interior needs a little work but I have a friend who is stripping his 944 NA so I will bum some parts off him.

Im really keeping my fingers crosses its something simle like a blown shock or badly indexed torsion bar, a new LSD/tranny cant be cheap
Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
future
Banned

It would be well worth your time getting the geometry checked at the same time as checking the suspension but the koni adjustables should be in good condition if only 2 years old - The shocks normally last well into 60k miles.

It does not matter what you paid for the car - the important thing is that your happy with it and from the pics it looks like you've got a mint example.

P.S. Whats the sign say on the rear lisence plate?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Fuch'd 951's are cool.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM
5speed300
Racer

Well its not mint but your right I am definilty very happy with it. The plate is just a piece of cardboard I cut out and wrote "Vehicle In Transport" on since I didnt have a plate to drive back home on.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM
allergic2milk
Racer

Nice car
Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 PM
future
Banned

Fuch'd 951's are cool.
Sharky, your right - These wheels must go down in history only second to the famous and original Wolfrace Slot Mags which were seen on so many cars in the 70's and early 80's.

In my opinion you can not beat the exotic looks of super cars built in the 80's like a white Countach, red Testarosa or a 911 with it's huge rubber whale tail.

Super cars have never looked so distinguished since the 80's and that's why I love my 951 - Sorry 952
Old 11-01-2006, 02:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5speed300: Welcome to the 944T club and best wishes with the car!! If no one told you already, a great referance site for our cars is http://www.clarks-garage.com.

Good luck with it, and welcome to the money pit!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:09 PM
5speed300
Racer

Well this is just great... 2 days after buying the car and I find out something is really wrong with it.

The transmission or rear end sound like they are about to fall out and are making aweful noises. The seller didnt mention anything like this to me, just said that it was ready to go anywhere.

So now I might have to get a new transmission/lsd differential and who knows what else. Does anyone know of a place that sells rebuilt lsd differentials or transmissions? I'm not having alot of lucky finding them. The damn thing sounds like its vibrating itself to pieces in the passenger side rear.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Have you checked the tire for abnomalities like sidewall seperation or even out of balance? I doubt it is the transmission if the noise is only on one side of the car. Oh and WELCOME to the sometimes sweet sorrow that is 951 ownership.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trans. I know Vertex sells rebuilt units Vertex Auto I have no personal experience with them though, so be sure to ask around.

Quick Reply: New Owner after waiting for so long!!