Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

After six years....I broke it....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, Joe, what did the autopsy reveal? was it 2nd gear? Pinion gear?

Turbo S's have hardened 1st and 2nd gearsets and a treated mainshaft - good "economy" route relative to a full-tilt competition trans. Powerhaus will have some good solutions for you but will be considerably more $$$.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see the advantage in putting used gears in a high-performance car.

New gears are expensive, but at the going rate to rebuild a tranny I think it's cheap insurance. In my case, I paid 137 Euros for one sprocket and 253 for the other, but they were new from Porsche. Labor was 18 hours at a pro shop. YMMV.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see your point, Luis. I was speaking of finding a decent S tranny in complete form and swapping. I dont think Joe nec. needs to pinch pennies, but that's how my mind works.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

por951turbo, thanks for the tip on Kevin. I've heard him mentioned on the boards before. I'll shoot him a message.

Matt, haven't taken it out yet and may not for a few weeks. I'm almost positive it's second gear. I appreciate the tip on the 89 S tranny. A penny saved is a penny earned. I do believe that with the price of a rebuild Luis de Prat also makes sense. I'm going to weigh all my options and take all the tips I can and decide what to do. Keep the suggestions, opinions, tips coming. Thanks guys.

Out of curiosity. Does anyone, I don't care if it's custom, make a clutchless tranny for our cars or one that would fit like Aston Martin, Ferrari? If you know of anyone I will look into it.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
por951turbo, thanks for the tip on Kevin. I've heard him mentioned on the boards before. I'll shoot him a message.

Matt, haven't taken it out yet and may not for a few weeks. I'm almost positive it's second gear. I appreciate the tip on the 89 S tranny. A penny saved is a penny earned. I do believe that with the price of a rebuild Luis de Prat also makes sense. I'm going to weigh all my options and take all the tips I can and decide what to do. Keep the suggestions, opinions, tips coming. Thanks guys.

Out of curiosity. Does anyone, I don't care if it's custom, make a clutchless tranny for our cars or one that would fit like Aston Martin, Ferrari? If you know of anyone I will look into it.
Theres the 968 Tiptronic, it can be adapted to have paddle shifters apparently. If it can handle your kind of power....
Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

The 968 Tip is basically a glorified Automatic IIRC. NOTHING like the BMW SMG, Ferrari F1, Audi DSG boxes.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:01 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

!!! Hmmm...lets discuss this a bit more. Anyone have any experience with them. I don't like automatics but to be able to shift manually with paddles and shifts only taking milliseconds to do, I'd really look into it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

The 968 doesnt take milliseconds, it's very similar to the early BMW SMG's/auto boxes. It's more of a suggestion lever, you can tell the transmission what you'd like but it'll either take a second to comply or just wont cooperate. It's nothing like the Audi/Ferrari/BMW(SMG 2 or 3) boxes that blip downshifts, shift lightning fast and actually have a clutch.

F1 Style Manual =! Auto with a shift mech.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what I'm interested in hearing and learning about Mike-F1 Style Manual=! Auto with a shift mech.

Is that even possible to fit up to our cars?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Anything is possible. With that said, you should really get a full sequential 5 or 6-speed box.
Fast, cool and strong

But it may require $15-20K though..
Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I would stick to a manual with custom gears, maybe a 968 6 speed tuned to your requirements. The SMG type boxes are still not as good as a manual, I have played with the BMW one on a late M3 for ages on the track and I still dont like it. Yes you can adapt your driving to suit the gearbox but thats not the way its supposed to be. In the end a manual does everything you need, when you need it. Job done!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:37 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to backtrack a bit, if you bust a turbo s tranny can you even get replacements for 1st and 2nd any more? my understanding is that the part numbers are all the same now, so either the 'old' pre-S parts have been superseded, or it's not possible to get the hardened gears any more.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Well, worst case you could always do something like a C6 transaxle swap, or possibly a 928's. I don't know enough about the dimensions of either, so I'm not too sure if those are feasible alternatives. I'd strongly recommend looking at modifying your existing gearbox. There are lots of processes out there, such as cryo treating (what most people refer to as "hardening"), to treat gears, the input shaft, etc. If it's the gears themselves that are the issue, custom gears really aren't that big of a deal.

Here's a really nice SAE paper about one of those types of "treatments" available PowerhausII It's pretty interesting stuff, at least to me. Sorry, I don't work for these guys or anything and have never done business with them. They are just the only ones I know of off hand with a website.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Judging by the 928 board you would not want a box from those cars.

But why not a G50 6-speed
Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Duke
Judging by the 928 board you would not want a box from those cars.

But why not a G50 6-speed
I'm not too up to date on my 928 info.

As for a G50, I had considered mentioning it though that's opening a whole can of worms that I'm not too sure about. You'd have to have the case machined to flip the ring gear around (otherwise you'd have either 5 or 6 reverse gears), then you'd have to design a custom coupler for the input shaft on the gearbox. I guess it could be done, though it's a pretty good size tranny so I'm not sure if there'd be enough room. The G50's have been proven to hold a hell of alot of power even in stock form, and more than any 951 will likely ever make.

Quick Reply: After six years....I broke it....