Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

How was the oil pressure? Usually a bad rod bearing is accompanied by a noticeable drop in hot idle oil pressure.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sound you described sounds like weak spark, how old is your coil, plugs, and wires? Did you feel loss of power and stuttering going along with the sound?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:11 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
How was the oil pressure? Usually a bad rod bearing is accompanied by a noticeable drop in hot idle oil pressure.

I was having oil pressure problems..... Traced it to the 24mm bolt with the valve in the oil cooler, changed it, got pressure... 40-50 miles later.......lockup. I am hoping its not too bad, but I'll know in a few hours.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by hot-J
I was having oil pressure problems..... Traced it to the 24mm bolt with the valve in the oil cooler, changed it, got pressure... 40-50 miles later.......lockup. I am hoping its not too bad, but I'll know in a few hours.
Oil pressure problems...as in lack of oil pressure?
Rod bearings get damaged pretty quickly that way...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Ok, it was a # 2 rod bearing.... Alittle sand paper to the crank, and a used bearing, and I am up and running again!....... That is until it goes again, and oh boy I know it will......
Old 10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Ok, it was a # 2 rod bearing.... Alittle sand paper to the crank, and a used bearing, and I am up and running again!....... That is until it goes again, and oh boy I know it will......
Sand paper! Good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

??? how is your oil pressure??? if your motor locked up (seized?) ?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
ooooooooo yes... just learned something new that makes a lot of sense... more chance for detonation in the cold... methinks I'll go turn down the boost controller now...
Make fun of it if you will, some boost controllers don't regulate boost between large changes in ambient temp very well. Some OEM turbo cars also will pick up knock on cold days because of a lean condition, or because of shoddy OEM tuning.

My friends 951 did exactly that one night the temps dropped down into the 30's. High load in 4th gear, turbo spooled very early and the engine started to ping rather loudly. Checked the peak boost value and it was hitting 1.2 BAR, turned it down some and the pinging went away.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Sand paper! Good luck.

He is kidding, he didn't run the engine for more than 10 seconds.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
He is kidding, he didn't run the engine for more than 10 seconds.
Thats cool, I feel better now.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Nope not kidding.... We used diffrent grades to almost buff the crank to get the ridges out until it was smooth, installed a used good looking bearing, and viola, the car runs. I know this is the ultimate Ghetto Fabulous way to fix it, but whatever... I need a new motor anyway..... So the countdown beguins, how long before it goes again? And guess what, the knocking went away! And I had ZERO perssure for a few startups until I solved the perssure problem, so I am sure thats what did me in, in the first place.... So Chris, How buisy are you this winter?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Nope not kidding.... We used diffrent grades to almost buff the crank to get the ridges out until it was smooth, installed a used good looking bearing, and viola, the car runs. I know this is the ultimate Ghetto Fabulous way to fix it, but whatever... I need a new motor anyway..... So the countdown beguins, how long before it goes again? And guess what, the knocking went away! And I had ZERO perssure for a few startups until I solved the perssure problem, so I am sure thats what did me in, in the first place.... So Chris, How buisy are you this winter?
Hmmm...it does sound like you will need a rebuild...soon...
You can get away with smoothing out the ridges with a little emery cloth - anything more aggressive than that and you will have issues.

Also – with cold oil you can get almost anything to soound OK, I have seen some pretty hideous rod knock go away with a quick oil change and running the engine cold.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:53 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris White

Also – with cold oil you can get almost anything to soound OK, I have seen some pretty hideous rod knock go away with a quick oil change and running the engine cold.

Yeah, Today I will be running the car on the highway relativly hard to see if it goes...... I also switched to 20-50 grade, so hopefully that will help too...... It wasent too bad, as it seized right off idle at about 1200 RPM...........

Quick Reply: How loud is knock?