Keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless entry

I have thought about getting a keyless entry/alarm installed as i will be moving to the city next year and I had a few ideas.

If i did keyless entry, I thought about buying the handles with no key holes from jaeger - of course, the obvious problem being if keyless entry is lost/broken etc there is no way into the car other than crawling through the rear hatch.

How hard would it be to wire the keyhole on the rear hatch so that it also unlocks the doors just in case?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk, but i think that it would just be easier to climb in through the hatch, or spend 2.99 every year to replace the batteries, JUST in case. it would be a slick operation if you could get it to work though...

just my $.02
Old 11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

I have also thought about adding keyless entry. What kit are you looking at? I dont want to buy a cheapo kit that will break and work inconsistently!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:56 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Keyless entries are very convenient but don't think for one minute they are any more secure than a door handle with a lock. 90% of all break-in/thefts are by breaking the glass. Sorry, but if they really want your car, it's theirs for the taking unless you park it in a vault. Invest in a Club and a kill switch...it's a much effective and visual deterrant than a little flashing LED.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

^^^^
Don't buy a cheapo kit! I made that mistake and regret it greatly. The first remote had it's unlock button die, then the thing that flashed my parking lights broke so they stayed on all the time, then the unlock button on the second remote died. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace the kit with yet though.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This reference to an old thread may be useful.
My 2 year old "cheapo" (lock only) installation still works well.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:38 PM
future
Banned

Lorax - A keyless entry is not something many would consider however if your going to do it then look at the TVR Cerbera...

The Cerbera doors are opened by pressing a button under the wing mirror which is connected to a solnoid which pushes the door open hence you would not need the door handles full stop.

So what in the event of a battery failure you may ask?

Well should this happen in a TVR you simply take a screwdriver and remove the rear number plate which then allows you to open the rear trunk. Once in the trunk there are 2 red handles - One for either side door. pull on a handle or handles opens the door or door(s)

Hope theres no Car theives reading as this has to be the easiest car to take.

The only downside is that the TVR requires it's own ecu for each door as then you press the button under the wing mirror, not only does the door open on the solnoid but the window also drops down 2 inches - Very nice to watch - All this is also connected to a remote for the ultimate look at me factor!

In you case all you need to do is connect a switch to the rear lock and run t back to the central locking - Job done!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Keyless entries are very convenient but don't think for one minute they are any more secure than a door handle with a lock. 90% of all break-in/thefts are by breaking the glass. Sorry, but if they really want your car, it's theirs for the taking unless you park it in a vault. Invest in a Club and a kill switch...it's a much effective and visual deterrant than a little flashing LED.
One thing you can add to your alarm system that will keep potential theives from stealing your car/something in your car is a whole bunch of piezo sirens hidden in various places around the car (in the dash, under the seats, in the spare tire well/cubbies). The idea here is that when the alarm goes off, all of these sirens turn on and create a painfully loud sound that will cause the would be thief to run off. This could even be wired to a small backup battery in case the theif somehow managed to disconnect your battery without opening the hood/setting off the alarm. Obviously this wouldn't keep a thief from breaking your windows, but it would keep them from driving off with your car or stealing your stereo etc.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I followed Laust's procedure and it's worked like a charm for the past two years as well. My $30 JC Whitney remote has by far the best range of any keyless remote I've ever owned
Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i've had a cheap avital system on my car for 8 years with no problems. i have had to replace the remote batteries once.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Add me to the satisfied cheapo list. Mine was $49 from Circuit City -- I hooked up only the two doors, although the unit is designed to operate the hor, fog lights, headlights, hatch, etc., etc...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i hooked mine up to do the doors, rear hatch and to flash the headlights when closing.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice. Honestly I was thinking about the handles without lockholes as an aesthetic peice. Im thinking about getting an alarm, so i would add keyless at the same time, and I might as well update the handles at the same time also.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

At one point Jaeger's site said they were going to offer a keyless remote but I've never seen anything official. Might as them about it if and when you do the door handles.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

anyone know what Jaeger's URL is?

Quick Reply: Keyless entry