944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ferrari Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006 | 01:53 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Let me just apologize to everyone, including ST and John. I'm very hard headed and set in my beliefs. I'm not trying to start a war. There's no sense in getting caught up with arguing semantics and getting mad over differences of opinion(speaking mainly of myself ). I still stand by my beliefs however, I'll just keep them to myself until I can post some actual results and stop e-thugging it up.

Rolex, I am truly envious of your experiences with Ferraris! I absolutely love them as well. Have you by any chance been able to drive a 288 GTO? That, the 250 GTO and F40 are my all time favorites. Just curious but, what type of motor did you have Norwood build? Was it a v12 or v8?
Old 10-25-2006 | 02:27 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Ferrari List...

Originally Posted by Porschefile

Rolex, I am truly envious of your experiences with Ferraris! I absolutely love them as well. Have you by any chance been able to drive a 288 GTO? That, the 250 GTO and F40 are my all time favorites. Just curious but, what type of motor did you have Norwood build? Was it a v12 or v8?
Norword built back in around 1989-1991 a 308GTS QV with a Haltech system.

As far as the Ferraris I've driven? Where do I begin? How about a short list for now, ok? Starting from the first one that I own.

1978 308 GTS (Tom Selleck's Car)
1962 GTO
365 GTC 4
246 GTS Dino
275 GTS
308- 328 GTS/QV
348 GTS (total dog)
Testarossa 89 -1992 (TR)
1994 512M
312 PB (rare car)
512 BB
512 BB LM
84 288 GTO
87 F40
355 F1
360 F1
550 Maranello
575 F1
Ferrari-Momo IMSA GTP Car - (Had a Cosworth then a 962 Engine)

Dream Cars To Drve:

F430 F1
Stradale
Enzo (I may have a chance)
Enzo FXX (yeah right!)
GT 50 F1 (yeah right!)

Hows that list, enough? Ive been a memeber of FCA and a Ferrari instructor for over 15 years. Hope that helps. And for the record, for me, the F40 is still my favorite in the world! Just wish I could have driven the LM version. BHP ranged from 650 to 900 depending on turbo config. Go to my web site, I have a video of a French driver taking one for a test spin on the track.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 10-25-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2006 | 04:29 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Default Another Ferrari Video

This time, check out who is driving it and HOW the car is being driven...

Old, but never get tired of it

Video
Old 10-26-2006 | 06:35 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
Its not 10,000 RPM - the little kid who posted it on Streetfire originally is retarded.

From the roller time its about 400 at the wheels.
yes the orginal poster of that video is stupid.

it took waayyyyy too long for it to pull the full gear. It sounds like a bolt on f40 to me
Old 10-26-2006 | 11:16 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
For our cars 4th gear seems to be high enough to prevent slipping (except at very high torque). 5th gear could be used with the same or maybe slightly better results, but the dyno equipment will be spinning pretty fast, lots of stored energy, which in case of failure could be quite nasty.

As ST mentioned strapping the car down can eliminate slippage. For that purpose there should really be vertical straps, since the vertical force component is the one needed. Judged by the rear end lift of the F40, there was not much of a vertical tie-down on that car, hence the need for a higher gear.

Laust
-So is the standard for all turbo cars to use 4th gear, unless it makes massive TQ then?

-And 5th gear could be used, but would yield better results with a 944T? Why?

-Wouldn't being in a higher hear, like with our cars, actually show much slower spool up versus 4th gear? I always wondered why we did our cars in 4th gear and not 3rd too?

Thanks for the education whether it be with an F40 or our cars. This is where I don't have any real knowledge of.
Old 10-26-2006 | 01:31 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
-So is the standard for all turbo cars to use 4th gear, unless it makes massive TQ then?

-And 5th gear could be used, but would yield better results with a 944T? Why?

-Wouldn't being in a higher hear, like with our cars, actually show much slower spool up versus 4th gear? I always wondered why we did our cars in 4th gear and not 3rd too?

Thanks for the education whether it be with an F40 or our cars. This is where I don't have any real knowledge of.
4th gear is the closest to a 1:1 ratio. The lower the gear, the less load on the engine, and the higher the gear the more load on the engine. As a result, with a turbocharged application, you will make less power in the lower gears and more in the higher gears, as loading can have some noticeable effects on spool, boost threshold, etc which will directly affect the powerband. The higher the gear, the sooner the boost threshold will be acheived. However, spool will take physically longer than the previous gear as higher gears result in a diminishing amount of acceleration over lower gears as a general principle of physics. That's the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not all cars are the same gear ratio wise of course. Many cars with 6spd gearboxes seem to have 5th as the closest to a 1:1.

BTW, Rolex, what do you think of the 275 GTB/4 cam? I think that is possibly one of my favorite classic Ferraris, maybe more so than even the 250 GTO.
Old 10-26-2006 | 01:52 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

4th gear is the closest to a 1:1 ratio. The lower the gear, the less load on the engine, and the higher the gear the more load on the engine. As a result, with a turbocharged application, you will make less power in the lower gears and more in the higher gears, as loading can have some noticeable effects on spool, boost threshold, etc which will directly affect the powerband. The higher the gear, the sooner the boost threshold will be acheived. However, spool will take physically longer than the previous gear as higher gears result in a diminishing amount of acceleration over lower gears as a general principle of physics. That's the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, Rolex, what do you think of the 275 GTB/4 cam? I think that is possibly one of my favorite classic Ferraris, maybe more so than even the 250 GTO.
Thanks for the education. It helps a bit. The 275? Not my all time favorite, but then again I love modern cars. Yes, I driven a lot of older ones, but I am all about technology. I did see on the track several times different 275 N.A.R.T cars, they were neat.

Personally, I love technology. So out of all those cars, for me, even though some are outdated, I still consider some of them in their own right to be a Supercar. To me, the 288 GTO and F40 paved the way for Ferrari to come into the Supercar league. I remember, and still do love, the Porsche 959. What a fabulous car, but when I saw my first 288 in person, and heard those turbos kick-in, I was in love. My father is more of the old school type, who loves the 62 GTO, older TRs, and beautiful 512M/S cars.

I am actually going to look at a F430 this weekend and a 2004 Stradale. Just shopping, not buying. But I know the owner from our racing days, so I'm sure he'll let me take them for a spin, I hope! I've also been to Italy a few times, and stayed "exactly" across from the Fiorano track. I could literally look out my window and see them testing. I almost crapped in my pants the first time too. Why? They were testing and sorting out an F1 car back in 2003 with Loca behind the wheel, but he started this at 6:30AM! And the town is used to it, loves it, and people go to work and think nothing of it.

Old 10-26-2006 | 11:11 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by special tool
Its not 10,000 RPM - the little kid who posted it on Streetfire originally is retarded.

From the roller time its about 400 at the wheels.
It's about 8200 RPM, and that car is making more like 500whp. The airboxes aren't stock, neither is the exhaust and you can hear the boost increase.

Check the link above and take a look at the red car, it's primarily stock with an aftermarket exhaust. You can hear the difference in boost pressure.
Old 10-29-2006 | 11:01 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Fun with acoustics

Very impressive dyno run. It is actually possible to get a good sense of the rpm by listening to the exhaust, converting the fundamental frequency to Hz and divide by 4 (4-stroke 8-cylinder engine). That assumes the video plays at the right speed. Unfortunately I don’t have time to do the analysis right now.

The run was apparently done in 5th gear, but without knowing the inertia or resistance setting of the dyno, it is impossible to estimate the HP or TQ delivered (based on the rate of frequency change).

Lastly it seems that there is a significant tire growth with speed, although some of the lift could be caused by the angle of the straps.

Thanks for posting, fun to watch.

Laust
I got a little time. Listening to the video at max speed and comparing it to a well tuned guitar, the fundamental frequency is slightly higher than C5, which according to this table is around 530 Hz. Divide that by 4 and multiply by 60 (Hz to rpm) the engine speed comes out to be 7950 rpm. My ears should be accurate enough for a ±2% uncertainty, meaning that the top speed of the engine on this dyno is between 7800 and 8100 rpm.

Laust
Old 10-30-2006 | 01:51 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

top speed of the engine on this dyno is between 7800 and 8100 rpm.
Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
It's about 8200 RPM
Yay. I win.
Old 10-30-2006 | 02:06 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I got a little time. Listening to the video at max speed and comparing it to a well tuned guitar, the fundamental frequency is slightly higher than C5, which according to this table is around 530 Hz. Divide that by 4 and multiply by 60 (Hz to rpm) the engine speed comes out to be 7950 rpm. My ears should be accurate enough for a ±2% uncertainty, meaning that the top speed of the engine on this dyno is between 7800 and 8100 rpm.

Laust
Laust, thanks for the education pal.

Old 10-30-2006 | 05:24 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Hosrom: Oh my F'in God! Dude do you see the rack on her? SHE DID THAT IN HEELS!
Old 10-30-2006 | 08:09 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice try their buddy. I certainly hope you are kidding. In reality, that F40 makes north of 700+rwhp (they make over 400rwhp stock for God's sake!), and that most definitely was ~10,000rpm. I am not 100% certain, but I'm thinking that particular F40 is John Carmack's. He's the guy that created the Doom videogames. If it is, his F40 is built by Norwood and makes 1000rwhp.

These vids are 10x better:

Vid 1
Vid 2

That's a 1 out of 3 F50 Gt1. It has a 4.7 v12 n/a, 750hp, weighs 2000lbs, redline is 11000rpm.
Edit: just saw post #38 I will leave the info up just for interest

I worked at Norwood Autocraft for four years part time
Carmacks F40 was red and was mostly stock and he sold it and bought his F50 and his TT Testarossa made a 1036whp. We TT the F50 with low boost 6-8 psi. Since then he has sold the TT TR and then sold the F50 after the TT were removed. I think he is kinda done with cars and puts most of his time and money into his Armadillo Aerospace projects.
Carmack front and center

Last edited by Apexx; 10-31-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2006 | 07:05 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Laust
For a stock F40 thats about right

Quick Reply: Ferrari Dyno