clutch & P.P. to hold 400 plus rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch & P.P. to hold 400 plus rwhp

Hello All,
Yes I have searched and found some valuable info. I will be re-installing a 3L turbo engine in my track car shortly and would like to replace the clutch and pressure plate. I am running a lightened stock flywheel currently with a cup clutch set up. I noticed one of the springs is loose. I think it is time to step up to a solid center. The search seemed to indicate people like the kep p.p. and then various types of clutches. I am looking for confirmation on this from actual users and or additional recommendations on both clutch, p.p. and where to purchase. My last dyno befor refreshed eng. was 386 hp and 400 tq. I assume this number will go up with new eng. This car is dedicated to the track. Are there any issues with going straight to the dyno and then to the track (related to clutch/ pp break in)? Last, any thoughts on the SPEC stuff, e.g. stage four with six puck?
thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-23-2006, 06:12 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Here is a dis that will do the job Racing 6 Button "E-Z LOCK PRO" ™ Sprung Hub from http://www.clutchnet.com/make/prodDesc.html#6bEZ
Use with a Kep pressure plate stage1or 2
Old 10-23-2006, 07:02 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pk951
Here is a dis that will do the job Racing 6 Button "E-Z LOCK PRO" ™ Sprung Hub from http://www.clutchnet.com/make/prodDesc.html#6bEZ
Use with a Kep pressure plate stage1or 2
That's a great setup, but if you going to do a lot of daily driving with heavy traffic, I will suggest the same Kep Stage I and a 930 clutch disk.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Thanks, guys. Curious why you are recommending the sprung center rather than the solid center? This car is not even close to drivable on the street. I would not mind protecting my driveline a bit (springs) but not at the expense of one of the springs dropping out (my concern on the 930 disk)
Kevin
Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KEP I, with a bronze 4 puck for the track - maybe a II PP if shifting minimal times at the tracks you attend but if shifting a lot, ie second, third,fourth, and into 5th I'd get the KEP I PP if I was driving it.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely go with a KEP for the pressure plate. I suppose I would lean towards a solid hub as well on a track-only car. For 6-puck metallic discs try:
Karl Poeltl
Racer's Edge
www.racersedge-inc.com
865-675-8285
865-675-8249 (fax)
He has them for $199 and they are made by ACT.

In the first pic which is a PowerFriction hub from Vertex Auto with Feramic metal facings riveted on by South Bend Clutch Co. Note the side covers over the springs...I don't think they will fall out with that design.
The second picture is of a 951 Cup hub and Feramic facings.

The KEP I is rated for 530ft/lbs with a stock organic disc and the KEP II is good for 600ft/lbs with the OEM type organic disc. The metallic disc will yield more holding capactity yet...approx 20-30% more over stock.
I run a KEP I and the Cup disc with Feramic and 10lbs OE flywheel.
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

here is a pic of our 4 puck - 350+rwhp
Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Ski,
Any issues with getting the car into or onto your trailer with the solid center clutch? Why did you choose a four puck over the six? What four puck did you end up using? Was there any type of break in involved with the new clutch and pressure plate?
thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problems getting into the trailer, it can be a little bit finicky when cold launching the car to grid but after it's warmed up, it's just fine. This disc was part of the package that we got from a car that I parted and it was only an "enduro old" when the car was totalled. We were talking to the owner of the car and he chose, and we chose it - to eliminate the springs and it was recommended by Chris Cervelli. It's a Porsche RSR disc, with a Cup Car PP. However, next clutch, we'll use the same style disc but with a KEP I PP.

Quick Reply: clutch & P.P. to hold 400 plus rwhp