Old 10-16-2006 | 07:51 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fun at Hallett

me

Jim

Great weekend. You couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather although it was pretty chilly Friday morning, but warmed up by 2pm. The car was great, even hurt some feelings of a new turbo and and older GT3. There were two very fast Cup Cars there who actually lapped there field three times in a 20 minute sessions. Met some great people and Hallett is so laid back, I wish they had more PCA events.

We had a couple of small issues: the boost line to wastegate got loose and made it's way over to the exhaust manifold, replace that and extra tie wraps. We had a fuel pump leak from around the edges where it has the little curly cue edges!! I mean spew fuel! The second one did the same thing - now we're thinking our day is done. Well, we found a third pump in our spares, changed that one and we were back in business. We took the pumps over to a water hose connection, fabbed a couple of hoses and clamps; yep they were both leaking around the outside edge.

Have you ever seen a power steering reservoir get so hot it would smolder the rag around it and then melt the top? Me neither until this weekend. A red 944T, car 132, sprung a leak, came in and the reservoir was smoking. He put a wet rag around it and within 10 minutes, the rag was smoldering hot. It melted the top and about the first inch down of the reservoir. He fired it up, put it on the trailer and water was pouring from somewhere.

Met a couple of very nice women who were driving a 911sc and one had an RS America. The RS sheared some rear axle bolts and went straight off into a tire barrier.

I spun the track car on the last lap of the last session. Going up hill, before the downhill into the Bitch, a 911 in front of me hit his brakes before he should have, I lifted right at the top of the hill where I was in a bit of a right hander - where I always stay on power - the car spun so fast all I could do was hit the clutch and the brakes and hang on. Luckily, I didn't even crack the front splitter when the front went just off the edge of the track. The Toyo RA 1 tires were excellent all weekend.
Old 10-16-2006 | 07:56 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

951 always looks like the right man for the job on the track....
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:24 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet! It's only the bare hands in the second picture that gives the pic away. Otherwise it looks like a full blown racer

We had some fun in Sweden too, I joined Puppan in his Turbo Cup to a track event with lots of different cars (turboed BMW's, drifters etc)

And this is the turbo cup chasing down, and passing, the rest of the cars

We datalogged a full session and the intake air temp never exceeded 22 deg celcius, and EGT never exceed 880 deg C
Boost was only 0.9 bar but it was enough to be one of the fastest car of the day
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:43 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

You guys are awesome!! Btw did you guys passed any 928's on the track?
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:47 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Ski, it was a GREAT weekend...and probably the most fun I've had at the track in a long time. All-in-all, the car ran flawless and fast despite the vac line and fuel pump issue. Two days, four session each day, back-to-back run groups....I gotta give it up to the #186 951

The only thing tough was the living conditions
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:51 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

There was only one there, SHE was in a 928GT and smoked something on the first hot lap after of first session - BUT, she was a good looking girl too. There were no novice allowed this weekend since they had a club race. I saw her go through turns 1-6 and she looked real good but something happened in 9-11, not sure.

1 more shot, 3rd gear through turn 1, just getting ready to start to putting the throttle down in a nice smooth fashion.
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:57 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ski & JWL: You guys suck!! Bet you had fun. The one time I was there, they ran that track backwards, which was cool. Did they run it the normal way, counter clockwise? It's a short, tight, but fun track. And yeah, the living conditions looked horrible. You know, you guys have just waaay to much time on your hands and toys. Especially you Ski, dammit!

Duke: Sweet looking car. Puppans car is a 3.0L, right? I think so. A 8V or 16V? And Duke, you need to get that hot green monster car of yours back together. What time of the year is it there now?

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:59 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Hey Bret, did you see Dave Lindsey there? He said he would probably go.
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:03 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The track has a lot of new pavement, a few more garages and open covered spaces. They have a lot more camper/RV hookups but still no water, although it is available over by the bathrooms and showers. The Finish Line Cafe, has good cheeseburgers, great bar-b-que sandwich and some of the best onion rings I've had.

The Cimarron Region is just so cool, great friendly people, who put on a wonderful event and then have some fun. The dinner they hosted, under the hospitality tent was a family atmosphere and we all had fun with everyone there.

Russell, no I didn't and I know he would have seen the car and come by but if he was there, I missed him. He may have been planning on coming over Sunday for the club race but hell, it was pouring down at 5am when I rolled out. I took the track car home this time so I wanted to get an early start.
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How was the weather? Isn't it usually very windy there? And I know you run Big Blacks on the car now, right? What pads did you have on, Pagid Black or Orange? Feel any fade at all, since I know you were pushing the envelope trying to set the fastest lap Shuey!

Old 10-16-2006 | 01:22 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Duke: Sweet looking car. Puppans car is a 3.0L, right? I think so. A 8V or 16V? And Duke, you need to get that hot green monster car of yours back together. What time of the year is it there now?
Yes indeed, a 3.0l 8v with basically all the goodies except headers.
Hehe yes I do need a kick in the butt and continue working on the green!! This was the last event of the season so coming up is spending time in the garage season

Ski, what kind of event was it, was it a race/competition?
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:25 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

BTW, ST be careful with that signature of yours... we all know it's just Lart talking about how he want's to race your "uraniun valve" with his "pushrod"!!
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Duke
BTW, ST be careful with that signature of yours... we all know it's just Lart talking about how he want's to race your "uraniun valve" with his "pushrod"!!
Now that's funny. And Duke, bump your thread back up that showed the goodies you were going to put on the car. And has Puppan ever dynoed that 3.L? I don't recall him ever mentioning it on here. Has he?

Old 10-16-2006 | 01:36 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

The engine is just broken in. It is completely new for this season. It was a 3.0l before as well, but now it has MID-sleeves, JE-pistons, carillo rods, custom intake, custom IC, Garrett GTBB turbo, standalone engine management etc. The cassis is a full Leda setup with solid busings etc.. now add those variables to a factory cup car with roll cage, fast turbo cup steering etc. and you got a very fast car on the track!

Dyno is scheduled for the spring when the green car is finished.. no crazy fuel you can't get on a regular gas station. We're looking for good power with regular fuel for everyday use
Old 10-16-2006 | 01:40 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bret/Jim from what I saw (when I was not under the hood of mine) it looked like the JAB car was running great and getting around the track very well. You really have it dialed in. Hope to be out there running as well as you guys next time. And Thanks again for the use of the TPS so I could try tracking down my electrical gremlins.
Craig

Quick Reply: Fun at Hallett