Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1-piece vs 2-piece crossover - pics/explanation/links???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1-piece vs 2-piece crossover - pics/explanation/links???

I'm still confused about this 1-piece vs 2-piece crossover thing. I've stared at the '86 vs later year systems in PET and can't see the difference. From what I've read it has to do with a separate piece of pipe to the wastegate? Why would one have to remove the intake only if this is the case? I'm thinking about removing the intake anyway just to get to the turbo bolts to drop the crossover, which is necessary to change the clutch ... correct?

If anyone has some pics, or can point me to a link with some pics, I sure would appreciate it.

I'm supposed to (and believe I do) have a 2-pc, but it looks like some work may have been done to the system along the way here (it appears I have sections of 2.75" pipe, and maybe downtube was re-worked to be 2.75"??
Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=crossover
Old 10-06-2006, 05:55 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

I got some picts this is a 2 pcs x-over vs a 1 pc crossover
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:09 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Man, you guys are quick!!! Thanks for the link, Ted, and the pics, lart So why does one have to remove the intake manifold only if you have a one-piece? And, if you have a one-piece, couldn't you just remove at the flange to the wastegate, so no biggie? There has to be something I'm missing here .... It's looking to me like I might want to take off the intake manny to get to the turbo bolts anyway, but I'm going to try with intake on first. Thanks!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you have an 89, then you have the 2pc crossover. You do not need to remove the IM to do a clutch job. Pull the wastegate by unbloting that triangular flange. That will make enough room to slide the bellhousing off.

Had you been dealing with a 1pc x-over, you would need to completely remove the x-over pipe. In order to do that, it is easiest to remove the IM to get to the bolts. I have heard of people doing it from underneath the car with the IM on. . . but I would think it would be easier/faster to pull the IM.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

So I don't have to remove the cross over pipe at all? Just the wastegate? and the little section of pipe to the triangular flange? I see the big difference then ... Do I need to remove any more of the exhaust - like to drop the torque tube or tranny?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This site has a nice 'step by step' that you should check out:

http://clarks-garage.com/

PS--Be sure to replace the rear main seal 'while you are in there.'
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

I'm reading thru both the Clark's procedure and the Paragon procedure's as I'm doing it now. It just wasn't clear from them - both procedures lead me to believe I should take off the entire exhaust from the end of the headers back, including the crossover. Maybe I'm just being dense ...

I crawled under there again and I think I see what's going on. I can leave the crossover, just take off the wastegate and that section of pipe to the crossover. I'm taking off just the cat-back part of the exhaust system, correct?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:57 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

I guess I was being dense ... I can leave the crossover, take off entire exhaust from downpipe flange and from crossover/wastegate flange back. Got it.

Quick Reply: 1-piece vs 2-piece crossover - pics/explanation/links???