Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X-Post: Who wants to show me around Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Post: Who wants to show me around Houston?

Hey Houstonites,

I'm headed to Houston next weekend (Thursday, October 12 - Saturday, October 14) to visit an employer who recently gave me an offer. I'm not totally sure what my itinerary for the weekend is, but I land at 6:07 pm on Thursday and fly out at 6:50 pm on Saturday. Anyone interested in meeting for beers and to show me a little glimpse of Houston? I've never been there before and want to know a little bit about what it's like. Thanks!

*Note - I also posted this in OT
Old 10-04-2006, 01:01 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

i used to live in houston, you'll regret everyminute of it!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in San Antonio... and your thinking of moving to houston? I would think twice but thats just me. Dallas or San Antonio would be a better option
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Heh, everybody always tell a different story. I've been told by tons of people to look at Houston way before Dallas. What are your reasons for disliking Houston?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

dont make me laugh....
the bad traffic, the bad drivers, the bad weather, the huge bugs, the fact that anywhere halfway good is atleast 100 miles away, and everywhere else is 2 days drive away!!.... the humidity.... its great... if you dont have a life...., they cant even make those lame "come visit" commercials, it sucks that much!
theres way too many people there, for what it is, for how urban it can be youd be surprised at how congested it is. I guess its just alot of nothing, and I mean ALOT!!
and the bad thing is, once you move there, youre kinda stuck, and you get fat and lazy, because no one wants to go outside... and then its pretty much the end of your life..... then you get old....

Glad i escaped!!! took a long time but I made it out !!!!
Save your self!!!!

But then im from NYC! (and I hope to get a place back there someday)
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

We've got tons of women. Nice ones
Old 10-04-2006, 02:51 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

TON's is right!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eclou is right about the women. Dallas women want a %&*#@ resume and a look at your bank account. Houston women just want to be happy.

Houston traffic can suck but you learn back cuts and the TIMING is everything. I dated a girl there for several years...I liked it. Insurance in Harris county can suck and downtown is coming back in a big way.

Good access to Texas World speedway, another new track in/around Houston too, Clear Lake, Galveston, Lake Conroe...***k Dallas.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hate the summer weather, the horrible traffic, the lack of natural scenery, but I stayed for the women (married one), low cost of living, and excellent food. I've traveled to Rome, Florence, Madrid, Barcelona, Nice, San Tropez, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Geneva, Vegas, Honolulu, San Diego, San Fran, OC, L.A., NYC, Vancouver, Montreal. DFW, Scottsdale, and northern Italy comes close as far as women, NYC edges us out on food. No one can top Houston on both.

Last edited by eclou; 10-04-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Fastcar944
Advanced

I agree, tex mex is great, women are great,lots of outdoor activities, and Where else can you get a beautifull big house for under 250.000
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fastcar944
I agree, tex mex is great, women are great,lots of outdoor activities, and Where else can you get a beautifull big house for under 250.000

I'll attest to the homes. HUGE houses for next to nothing. (Can you say CHEAP labor?) I did mortgages for 7yrs. There's just so much money here. That seems to be the main and almost only reason to come. The humidity is difficult, and the scenery is non-existent. Go straight 20 miles. turn. Thats it. We have to drive to Austin for anything like scenery. (I lived in Pittsburgh for a long while.) Quite different.

But. It's not so bad. The Car scene down here is extremely strong. 3 tracks and more on the way.

I'll be here. by the way, to greet you. PM me and I can meet up and show you some really cool stuff. Maybe ECLOU and friends can meet up with us? Maybe have a small 951 meet that Friday or Saturday?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:43 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Been to Houston several times and if you have kids, it's not the place to be. It's been mentioned before that you don't go out in summer so the kids are pretty much cooped(?) up all day as it is unbearably hot. You have a short window as the day closes but that's it. Plus side is I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in Feb a couple of years ago when my buddy (been in Houston >10yrs) was wearing a jacket. He says that after a while you start to get cold during thier "winters".

Food = Great
Women = Good (I have european tastes myself).
Housing Market = FANTASTIC...as FastCAr stated, the amount you can get for under 250K is mind bogeling. Heck for 150K you get more than most!
Driving = UGH!!! Don't get me started.
People = Very cool.

Not to harp on the people or anything but no one went for walks there. We were very disappointed that this wasn't common practice. Our friends live in Katy which is supposed to be one of the better areas and they just didn't go further than 20 feet from thier own front lawn. Of course, they showed us the website with all the registered sex offenders living within a three block radius and my wife and I knew we would never live there.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Fastcar944
Advanced

Katy, I always thought people inside the loop were a lot more cool. I live in Fl now and am outside all the time , biking ,wakeboarding, working on porsche.playing with kids ,you get used to it
Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

When you talk about the summer heat, is it worse than Florida's?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will be OOT that weekend unfortunately, but I would recommend:

Thurs: eat at Uptown Sushi - very swanky. Go afterwards next door to the Belvedere if you are into chic lounges or to the Red Door in midtown for an excellent rooftop bar and more relaxed atmosphere. For totally casual go to Woodrows in midtown or the Flying Saucer in downtown.

Fri: get some great Tex Mex at Pappasitos on Kirby, afterwards head into Rice Village to bounce around the pubs there - Gingerman etc or go to the Bar at Benjy's nearby for a more upscale martini type lounge, or Chrome (a kool club nearby)

Sat: hit downtown starting with a great steak at Vic and Anthony's then prowl through the downtown clubs and bars. End the nite scarfing down some food at Mama's Cafe on Westheimer at 2:00am and watch all the exotic dancers come in for a snack before bed.

Oh the days of youth.

Quick Reply: X-Post: Who wants to show me around Houston?