Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X-Post: Who wants to show me around Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dime1622
Heh, everybody always tell a different story. I've been told by tons of people to look at Houston way before Dallas. What are your reasons for disliking Houston?
I lived there for 1 year, not far from the Galleria (affluent area). I am comparing from where I live in the N.E to there. Huge disparity, but here goes.

Pros:

You can buy an modest to a big size home for nothing even in this market, especially if you live in a town called Humble, about 45 min from downtown.
People are very, very friendly!
Most, not all, everyday items seemed to be a "bit" cheaper (groceries, etc)
Taxes are peanuts compared to where I am now.
Can't say a thing about the race tracks, I hear good?
Food is great. Especially if you go to Papasittos. Excellent/cheap Mexican
Eating out is cheap. Im not kidding, most people out eat 4 to 6 days a week. People dont like to cook, plus, they cant grill due to the heat
Overall quality of life? Excellent.
Houston as a "city", as they call it still has a small-home town feel to it. Not that fast-paced rat race stuff

Cons:

Job opportunities? If you arent into the Energy industry, it's pretty much retail. Very, very limited industries down there.
Traffic? Depends on what roads. If RT 10, major Rd. during rush hr? Dead stop!
If youre single? Women are so so looking, but excellent, down to earth women. A lot are divorced where they husbands left them with kid/s. Be prepared. And sorry Ski, as far as looks? Dallas BLOWS them away!
Since it's hot often, a lot of people don't do stuff outside. Hence, fat city! It has been rated as the fatest city now year after year.
The humidity? If you think Florida is bad, Houston will blow that away like no tomorrow between July, Sug, Sept. I mean, unbearable, like 100% humidity.
Pay scale, unless you are with a major corp, or negotiate a good deal is low. Again, there is a correlation of income to any size of a city. Dallas, cost of living is more, but they pay more.
If you are single and like a fun night life, Dallas is the better place to be. Rated in the top 10 places to be as a single. Very happening.

Overall as a single, I'd choose Dallas. As a family man, with family costs, and more so quality of life for everyone, I would choose Houston.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Fastcar944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends that visit me from Houston always say its more humid and hot there,if i ever went back i think Austin would be the best.Its hard to leave the beautifull water here.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

I would imagine, Fast. I'm also looking at West Palm Beach. There's about 6 different locations I'm looking at moving to.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Yeah florida atleast has a breezze, oh and when it rains in houston its wet for days, and lots of localized flooding. I used to live on the north side, i wouldnt live anywhere else, maybe some nice neighborhoods, but when you have to go out of them.... well.....
as for the women....eh... so so.... And rolex, um the people arent THAT freindly, maybe more so than jersey, but here in Denver People are certainly nicer.

I wouldnt move anwhere south of fm1960!!!!!!!, the riff raff tends to move outward, and towards the center of the Counrtry (usa that is)

Im not sure whats considered cheap but i didnt think the houses where that cheap, People would say Denvers cost of living is alot higher, but i havent found that to be the case. But houston has Neighborhoods poping up left and right, all these cookie cutter developements.

austin is the only halfway decent place, but im not sure WTF they do there.

H-town is a big town, because of the job market/imigrant labor

lets put it this way, NO one who ever yelled out "I want to live!!!!" ever followed it by, "Im moving to houston!"
Old 10-04-2006, 05:07 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I have relatives all over TX.

Houston. Nice place to visit(and sweat) but I would not live there(not even Friendswood which is much better). Think petrochemical when you think Houston. Though their Ferrari shop has a real good rep.

Dallas/DFW. Traffic and money. That is what makes Dallas/Arlington/Fort Worth go round. Get something outside of those cities and you might enjoy it.
Settle for nothing less than an acre.

San Antonio. Nice retro charm. Slower pace.

One thing Texas has in spades and that is Culture!

Me I live in Crowley- small town south of Fort Worth near Burleson(Where Kelly Clarkson came from . Nice cool breeze(ok not in summer) but I got land and live in the country with the cows...and that is how I like it! (I was born and raised in Arlington, TX-glad to be gone)

Don't forget we can carry concealed handguns legally here
Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Well, it sounds like several of you are interested. I'll get together a list soon and check my itinerary and we can set up a little Renn-meeting.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by testarossa_td

One thing Texas has in spades and that is Culture!

So is that what they call it?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:12 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by M Danger
So is that what they call it?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Don't forget we can carry concealed handguns legally here

Ohh ya, make sure if your really gonna have some road rage that you got something to back it up besides your fists. I tend to just let people cut me off and go but boy do those people doing 60 in the fast lane really **** me off.... owell At the end of the night its just better to ---> then get mad for something dumb
Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Cons:

Job opportunities? If you arent into the Energy Industry, it's pretty much retail. Very, very limited industries down there.
That hasn't been my experience. I came here for the economic opportunities, and it's been good to me. You just have to network better than that.

I wouldn't live in Dallas at gunpoint - which is probably what would happen, given the amount of gunfire I've heard while visiting.

The problem with Austin is the people there think their **** doesn't stink.

The humidity is real. It doesn't cool off much at night in the summer. That said, people in my neighborhood walk a lot. There's a bayou and a walking trail right in front of my house, and it's always got dog walkers, joggers, kids etc on it. It didn't get any higher than 1/2 full during Allison, so we're in a good place to handle serious water. Take note, when looking at houses find out from the neighbors if they had high water problems during Allison.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 PM
95ONE
Race Car

So. lots of people from Houston. I'm a fairly new Rennlister, so I don' t truly know the answer to this question. Have any of you guys met up? Doesn't have to be Every SAT. night with our own jackets or anything, (Laughing deep inside on that one) A small get together might be fun. How about an Autocross? Something that we know we can all enjoy.

Wait... Sorry, I think I just Hi-jacked this thread. How 'bout this weekend when dime comes down? (As he suggests above.) Anyone in?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Fastcar944
Advanced

I dont live there anymore as you guys problobly gathered,but try to visit twice a year. Usualy i make it for the cart/ALMS race weekend,that would be a good time also for a 951 getogether.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
bigred1001
Pro

I lived in Friendswood for a year or two. I loved the food and the things to do, hated the freeway traffic, the smell, and the lack of good employment in the sales sector. For food I'd recommend

Trulucks on Westheimer near the galleria. Excellent steaks.

For entertainment
Heartbreakers in Dickenson, south of Houston, lots of pretty things to look at.

Stay off I 59 and I 10 between 4-6 and you get around ok.

Patrick
Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
So. lots of people from Houston. I'm a fairly new Rennlister, so I don' t truly know the answer to this question. Have any of you guys met up? Doesn't have to be Every SAT. night with our own jackets or anything, (Laughing deep inside on that one) A small get together might be fun.
Yes, there are several 944/951 guys in town that have met up from time to time. We're overdue for a GTG.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove by HeartBreakers the other day going to Gavleston from Hobby - it broke my heart that I couldn't stop.

Quick Reply: X-Post: Who wants to show me around Houston?