Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 vs. Maserati & SL 600

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 08:06 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

yeah Todd;
the 951 is an excellent example of good performance package.
On the gearing issue, except for a few exceptions, Porsche does a great job of matching the tranny to the powerplant. They are a pure sports car manufacturer where the cars are born and bread surrounded by german autobahns. They understand that a driver has more of an exhilarating experience if he can cruise at relatively high speed in high gear, and just easing into the throttle rewards him with a little thrust to even higher speeds.

Back in the mid 90s I was ready to buy a fast car. I owned 5.0L mustangs (a good example of terrible gearing) in the past, but I wanted something faster, a little more high end, slightly used was okay. Contenders at the time were: NSX, Corvette ZR1, turbo stealth, the new (at the time) supra, and porsche 968.
I did the usual numbers check in regards to weight and gearing. So even though I knew already that the turbo stealth was heavy and its gear ratios were too tall, my first opportunity happened to be that car; and, after all, I wanted to see if my performance predictions vs 320 hp were inline. Results: the car felt like dog. Especially at highway speeds, it almost felt slower than my previously owned mustang.
Next was an acura NSX. Must admit, it was a sweet ride, but to be honest I expected a little more because of its supposed hp rating; but I'll come back to it, I thought.
Next: porsche dealership. The advertised 968 was sold. Salesman directed me to a 944 turbo. It's an "S" model, he says. 247 hp. It's the predecesor to the 968. I think you'll like it, he says. Besides, they're easy to modify for a little more hp, he says. I shrugged as he's giving me the keys to a red on black '89 with 13,000 miles (of course it would be unheard of to be this casual about a pristine 951 today). Got on the highway with it. I was immediately impressed, the way it accelerated at high speeds, and fell in love instantly. I got back and made a deal on the spot. I didn't care to drive any other car. In fact, I had to make a decision johnny-on-the-spot, because there was another fella ready to buy the car; I paid $1,000 more than the asking price.
I've never looked back.
Old 10-03-2006 | 08:11 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
yeah Todd;
the 951 is an excellent example of good performance package.
On the gearing issue, except for a few exceptions, Porsche does a great job of matching the tranny to the powerplant. They are a pure sports car manufacturer where the cars are born and bread surrounded by german autobahns. They understand that a driver has more of an exhilarating experience if he can cruise at relatively high speed in high gear, and just easing into the throttle rewards him with a little thrust to even higher speeds.

Back in the mid 90s I was ready to buy a fast car. I owned 5.0L mustangs (a good example of terrible gearing) in the past, but I wanted something faster, a little more high end, slightly used was okay. Contenders at the time were: NSX, Corvette ZR1, turbo stealth, the new (at the time) supra, and porsche 968.
I did the usual numbers check in regards to weight and gearing. So even though I knew already that the turbo stealth was heavy and its gear ratios were too tall, my first opportunity happened to be that car; and, after all, I wanted to see if my performance predictions vs 320 hp were inline. Results: the car felt like dog. Especially at highway speeds, it almost felt slower than my previously owned mustang.
Next was an acura NSX. Must admit, it was a sweet ride, but to be honest I expected a little more because of its supposed hp rating; but I'll come back to it, I thought.
Next: porsche dealership. The advertised 968 was sold. Salesman directed me to a 944 turbo. It's an "S" model, he says. 247 hp. It's the predecesor to the 968. I think you'll like it, he says. Besides, they're easy to modify for a little more hp, he says. I shrugged as he's giving me the keys to a red on black '89 with 13,000 miles (of course it would be unheard of to be this casual about a pristine 951 today). Got on the highway with it. I was immediately impressed, the way it accelerated at high speeds, and fell in love instantly. I got back and made a deal on the spot. I didn't care to drive any other car. In fact, I had to make a decision johnny-on-the-spot, because there was another fella ready to buy the car; I paid $1,000 more than the asking price.
I've never looked back.
Cool Story
Old 10-03-2006 | 10:43 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Todd, he has 35 properties right now he's flipping. He doesn't need or want anyone else's input. The guy owned every thrifty car rental in the state of Florida, one in AZ and one in L.A. Owned them cash. Just sold the entire company for fifty mil and it's just sitting in the bank. His house is for sale though. 4.5 mil on Lake Tibet on the Butler Chain in Windermere. He has no bills. That's where I lived too. Cool guy. My girl and I stay there and at my brother's every time we go down there.
Old 10-03-2006 | 11:28 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The stat I was referring to was the 60-80 mph portion of full acceleration from a standing start to top speed. Stomping on the pedal at 50 doesn't cut it, too many variables.
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:16 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by toddk911
Just some quick numbers to show the power to weight and how that always puts things in more perspective....and I am a numbers guy

As soon as I have as much $$$$$ in my car as you do in yours, then we can compare who is obsessed, LOL!!
Speaking of numbers... How much boost were you running?
Old 10-04-2006 | 10:36 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Todd, he has 35 properties right now he's flipping. He doesn't need or want anyone else's input. The guy owned every thrifty car rental in the state of Florida, one in AZ and one in L.A. Owned them cash. Just sold the entire company for fifty mil and it's just sitting in the bank. His house is for sale though. 4.5 mil on Lake Tibet on the Butler Chain in Windermere. He has no bills. That's where I lived too. Cool guy. My girl and I stay there and at my brother's every time we go down there.
Ok, not sure if we are talking about the same guy as the one I was referring asked me to send him leads/listings on properties and about building houses here in FL.

I work about 5 min from Windemere. My director lives in there. I've also been out on the Butler chain a few times chillin in the boat with some friends

You need to let me know when you are in town again.
Old 10-04-2006 | 10:38 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
Speaking of numbers... How much boost were you running?
Still 18psi and about 18.5 or so in 4th.

Didn't get a chance to take her out and datalog ot make sure the a/f is ok as I start turning up the boost, as per your instructions Wanna play it safe. Too much money and time into this car to do something stupid at this point

BUT, I was thinking to myself after the runs; "damn, and they had no idea I can run a lot more boost than I am now and might have stayed even with the SL600"

LOL
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Still 18psi and about 18.5 or so in 4th.

Didn't get a chance to take her out and datalog ot make sure the a/f is ok as I start turning up the boost, as per your instructions Wanna play it safe. Too much money and time into this car to do something stupid at this point

BUT, I was thinking to myself after the runs; "damn, and they had no idea I can run a lot more boost than I am now and might have stayed even with the SL600"

LOL
Ok enough is enough with all these stats. I am calling Road N Track. They need you as their new statician! And after I call them, I'm gonna take the Quattroporte out for a spin baby and find a 951
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

LOL!!!

Ok, as long as you don't drive it down here. Wouldn't wanna embarras ya!

YOU KNOW IT!!!

"FRANK THE TANK....FRANK THE TANK"
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:43 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL!!!

Ok, as long as you don't drive it down here. Wouldn't wanna embarras ya!

YOU KNOW IT!!!

"FRANK THE TANK....FRANK THE TANK"

Quick Reply: 951 vs. Maserati & SL 600