Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the SFR intake sitting on the 3.1l 16v engine – I like the design and I suppose the look is a personal issue – I like the look of things that work! The next one on order is begin polished and then chromed…that should look interesting!

The radiused ports at the start of the runners are a nice touch as well as the plenum volume. It will be hard to compare results since the first test engine is such a one off project.

Mine looks a little different since it is a 16v head…
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
I have the SFR intake sitting on the 3.1l 16v engine – I like the design and I suppose the look is a personal issue – I like the look of things that work! The next one on order is begin polished and then chromed…that should look interesting!

Sounds interesting...

Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my god!! I have been away 18 months and this old chestnut comes up again!!
Everybody on here seems blinded by BHP! Its torque that matters and a wide maximum torque band. If you have nothing below 3000 revs how are you going to get away? Yes on a race car that is running between 85%-100% throttle short runners may work. Its the same as the 3"- 4" exhaiust subject. Remember a ferrari formula 1 car puts out 700bhp with a 2.25 inch pipe. And before anybody says turbo's are different I have been to the Renault Factory Museum and seen the 1980's 1.5 litre cars that put out 1000bhp and their exhausts were around 2" diameter. Now back to runners
Taking the manifolds closer to the ideal is not just a simple matter of making the passages bigger - it is about optimising the length and entry profile into each of the tracts to better exploit induced harmonic resonances in the air as it flows towards the cylinder. Any tube containing air can be made to resonate at certain critical frequencies in the manner of an organ pipe. Such is the case with the inlet tracts of an engine and if the natural resonance frequencies can be matched to the engine speed then a mild supercharging effect can be induced. Get it wrong and the reverse will apply, resulting in a loss of performance. Our own experiments suggested that the individual tracts on the lindsay manifold were shorter than the ideal for a wide torque band so we concluded that considerable improvement would be possible if we extended them by adding bell-mouthed ram pipes inside the manifold. This actually makes the Lindsay Manifold usable for road and track and increases the torque curve across the whole band. Therefore to conclude the Lindsay set up can be made to work However in real life a longer runner would be ideal with careful consideration given to flow and harmonic characteristics.

Tom
Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't help but think of the 928 GT's dual length intake. They were design so that one flap valve would change the runner lengths for the entire intake. It was very common to see the differences in dyno runs when the valve was stuck open or stuck closed. If I remember correctly the crossover point was at about 3500 rpm. As the long runners started dropping off the flappy valve would do it's thing and the curve would pick back up and continue to red line.

Remember our motors are basically half a 928. It would be really cool to see a similar intake for our cars.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to have you nack Tommo!
Hey Chris I can't find my icon that says that your post is useless without copious pics!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=95ONE]I just went to view it. Um..... Trying not to seem negative.. I guess I can only just give silence then..

I put one of their intakes on a 350Z. It didn't fit in many ways. Never got to dyno it. He sold it for another. (last year, they may have updated, but its still speaks volumes)

I wish I knew who you were and which intake you were talking about because we have never heard back from anyone that had any fitments issues with the 350Z intake manifolds of rthe 944 tubro intake manifolds or the Supra intake manifold or the BMW M3 intake manifold or any other intake manifolds we built.We have done two versions of the 350z plenum and neither of them had fitment issues so I wish you would explain in more detail.Now there was one customer who ordered one and wanted the TB out in front of the motor so we did it and i told him from the get go it would not fit but he wanted it anyways.

Tim
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 PM
95ONE
Race Car

[QUOTE=TurboTim]
Originally Posted by 95ONE
I just went to view it. Um..... Trying not to seem negative.. I guess I can only just give silence then..

I put one of their intakes on a 350Z. It didn't fit in many ways. Never got to dyno it. He sold it for another. (last year, they may have updated, but its still speaks volumes)

I wish I knew who you were and which intake you were talking about because we have never heard back from anyone that had any fitments issues with the 350Z intake manifolds of rthe 944 tubro intake manifolds or the Supra intake manifold or the BMW M3 intake manifold or any other intake manifolds we built.We have done two versions of the 350z plenum and neither of them had fitment issues so I wish you would explain in more detail.Now there was one customer who ordered one and wanted the TB out in front of the motor so we did it and i told him from the get go it would not fit but he wanted it anyways.

Tim
Hi Tim.

Is that customers name Chris? Widebody, Pearl yellow Show car? If so, Thats the guy and he never mentioned that he knew it wouldn't fit. The intake on this car came out the side, but angled too far forward. Of course, the 90mm Throttle body didn't help things out much either. It certainly could have been a copy of one of your manifolds. Sooooooo many do this with just about any popular part. It was my first experience with that manifold and we both know how bad first impressions can go whether correct or not. He had lots of knick knack parts like that. It soon became a ridiculous project, custom fabbing custom fabbed parts! both partys became frustrated and moved on from that project. Good thing for both sides i'm sure.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=95ONE]
Originally Posted by TurboTim

Hi Tim.

Is that customers name Chris? Widebody, Pearl yellow Show car? If so, Thats the guy and he never mentioned that he knew it wouldn't fit. The intake on this car came out the side, but angled too far forward. Of course, the 90mm Throttle body didn't help things out much either. It certainly could have been a copy of one of your manifolds. Sooooooo many do this with just about any popular part. It was my first experience with that manifold and we both know how bad first impressions can go whether correct or not. He had lots of knick knack parts like that. It soon became a ridiculous project, custom fabbing custom fabbed parts! both partys became frustrated and moved on from that project. Good thing for both sides i'm sure.

No that was another customer but I know Chris Shively with his 90mm Accufab and I was not sure that it would work without mods which is is why I was wondering who you were and what were the circumstances. So that piece was not the typical piece we build since he wanted it modifed to use that big *** TB so it makes sense now.So please dont think that all the parts we build have fitment issues because we rarely run into that unless someone wants something custom

Tim
Old 09-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone knows the actual plenum volume of the SFR intake?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It can't be measured Thom....on the basis that you can't actually buy one...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It can't be measured Thom....on the basis that you can't actually buy one...
Ouch.

I saw an interesting setup recently where someone took an NA intake, hacked the runners and spliced in an extra few inches.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Just re reading this thread you can see even though it started some years ago there still seems to be uncertainty over choices for aftermarket intakes for high performance applications. Clearly there is some doubt over both the stock intake and the LR one. I think until Tim proves otherwise we have to disclude the SFR unit and I doubt if they've actually been tested. From my small understanding of these is that it's actually more important for n/a applications than turbo...but that's not to say there shouldn't be an alternative to the stock item. Despite the factory doing a great job on many parts of these cars, the stock intakes weren't designed for high boost heavily modified or race applications. As many times that I've read or spoken directly to people that have said there are imbalances with the stock version, I've also heard doubts cast over the LR one, no matter what they publish on their site. I know that people have tested them and or used them with less than spectacular results and either modified them, or gone with something else. Pity there isn't something like the JME setup that wasn't either stupidly expensive, or made of unobtanium. So the next option is to get one custom made, which could be cheap or expensive. Wonder just how technical they need to get???
Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen a trend in modern turbo-4s going for a "log" type manifold (kind of like what I detailed above). Look at the Evo manifolds, log type and short runners. Longer runners should offer a better torque band. Subaru is the same with the STI only they have a 90* bend in them due to engine design. The majority of modern aftermarket performance products (many of which I will concede are made purely for looks and not tested) are trending towards the log type. Just something to consider.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I was hoping that someone like Chris White or Sean (JET951) who have had the SFR intake in their hands may have taken the time to measure the volume.

I have read everything and its opposite on intake plenum volume, just wondering what a good rule of thumb could be and if the SFR piece would work as well on a 3.0 as on a 2.5 for instance.

Quick Reply: SFR intake manifold