Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB Clean 951 or 951S

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill keep looking. What a jackass. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:39 PM
mods951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how much does he want for it? Its only a 20 minute drive for me to go look at it. I knew 12k for that low mileage was too good to be true!!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
racer
Drifting

Then again, if it is low mileage, every belt, hose, seal, brake and oil line etc will be dryrotted and need replacing. Figure a couple thousand dollars to make it "safely a streetable car" without fear of breaking down. Did someone say it still hasn't had the timing belt changed? Just starting the car up could be a disaster in the making. 18 year old seals, on a Turbo? ouch!

I just saw the ad independant of this thread and thought I would call him. Of course, it took 30 minutes of researching the Turbo S online first.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by racer
Then again, if it is low mileage, every belt, hose, seal, brake and oil line etc will be dryrotted and need replacing. Figure a couple thousand dollars to make it "safely a streetable car" without fear of breaking down. Did someone say it still hasn't had the timing belt changed? Just starting the car up could be a disaster in the making. 18 year old seals, on a Turbo? ouch!

I just saw the ad independant of this thread and thought I would call him. Of course, it took 30 minutes of researching the Turbo S online first.
What you said you would think is true, and in most case probably is. You are also assuming that the guy never had any service done, like nothing in that long of a time? I doubt it, he had some stuff done I'm sure.

When I bought my 1989 944T with 27K on it, over 90% of the hoses, belts, etc were fine. Now granted they weren't from 1989 too, but, they weren't 10 years old either. We actually used alot of the stuff on the car we built.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
What you said you would think is true, and in most case probably is. You are also assuming that the guy never had any service done, like nothing in that long of a time? I doubt it, he had some stuff done I'm sure.

When I bought my 1989 944T with 27K on it, over 90% of the hoses, belts, etc were fine. Now granted they weren't from 1989 too, but, they weren't 10 years old either. We actually used alot of the stuff on the car we built.

You're correct, I don't know what kind of service has been performed. I thought a previous poster mentioned that the belts were still original.

As a DE participant, my perspective comes from experience. If I bought this car, I would need/want to replace seals, rubber lines/hoses, belts, water pump etc for piece of mind (unless well documented). I don't want to be going 140mph down the back straight at Watkins Glen and wonder, how's my timing belt? or How's them brake lines? or heck, I sure hope the oil lines are still holding oil!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

He did say that the Belts had NEVER been changed, and the HI res photo that he sent me of the engine bay shows that the hose clams have never even been touched, the banjo bolt still has the factory red paint to ensure the seal has not been cracked, including the TPS and FPR connection. I hate that I can't buy the car, it has really made me have a bad day and a sleepless night last night. He also said he had it checked out at his Local Porsche dealer recently. Damn it I want it.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jlturpin
He did say that the Belts had NEVER been changed, and the HI res photo that he sent me of the engine bay shows that the hose clams have never even been touched, the banjo bolt still has the factory red paint to ensure the seal has not been cracked, including the TPS and FPR connection. I hate that I can't buy the car, it has really made me have a bad day and a sleepless night last night. He also said he had it checked out at his Local Porsche dealer recently. Damn it I want it.
He told you they were never done? Dude, stay so far away from that car, but also because he is a jackass. Let me search tommorrow for a car for you. Shoot me a PM with some guideliness of what you are looking for, priace ranges, yrs again, color types, how far from you, etc. I am a master of research. It may take time, but I may be able to help.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Bodacious
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Rolex. I appreciate your candid insight and your help. JLturpin, good luck with your seach, Maybe we will get lucky and find 2 great cars in Memphis. Then we can save time and transportation costs!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Bodacious
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

I just checked Cars.com and that guy in MD has changed his price to $15k.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I talked to him again this AM, I guess he really was just an uneducated seller. He has been very friendly. He says JP(don't know if he is here on the Forum) from New Jersey is coming to purchase the car and offered 18K for it sight unseen, provided the dealer check was good.

Thanks to Rolex for ALL of his help
Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I talked to him again this AM, I guess he really was just an uneducated seller. He has been very friendly. He says JP(don't know if he is here on the Forum) from New Jersey is coming to purchase the car and offered 18K for it sight unseen, provided the dealer check was good.

Thanks to Rolex for ALL of his help
BS to that car. I gave you 3 great leads. Especially the Ohio one. Follow up on him!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

YES SIR I was just giving an update as to what he ended up selling for. I would not buy it, spent half the night looking at the cars you sent. You are the MAN
Originally Posted by RolexNJ
BS to that car. I gave you 3 great leads. Especially the Ohio one. Follow up on him!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

YES SIR I was just giving an update as to what he ended up selling for. I would not buy it, spent half the night looking at the cars you sent. You are the MAN
No problem pal. You have 2, maybe 3 cars that totally fit what you told me you are looking for. Seriously, shoot them all emails. Especially the 88 S one I told you about. Do not wait before it slips by! And then give everyone an update. That could be a great car for you!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Jonathan-- just saw this while cruising ebay. I don't know if this is too crazy for you or not, but it looks tastefully done.

Best of luck with the hunt!

-t
Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Let me chip in on this, even though it's been beaten to death in the past. I recently purchased a 1986 951 with 31,000 miles on it. The car was flawless. I did a PPI in Southern Cali (where the car originates) and the shop ( http://www.hergesheimer.com ) told me it was completely and perfectly fine. No dry hoses, rotted seals, brake, or oil lines. The belts and water pump were fine also. The fact that the car has very few miles should not be a deterrent. If a car's been stored properly all those items will be in good shape, because you forget that the car's been through fewer heat cycles. Heat cycles damage things a lot more than the years the car's been sitting under a cover in a climate-controlled garage. That's my ¢2.

Quick Reply: WTB Clean 951 or 951S