Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have a 3M clear-bra on their Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have a 3M clear-bra on their Turbo?

And if so did you use the Invica-Shield
http://www.invinca-shield.com/n_genk...?kit=3617&ft=1
or X-Pel
http://xpel.com/products/configurato...&submodel=1985
Or something else?
Did you install it yourself or have it professionally done? I'm leaning towards having it done, unless someone in Phoenix with experience doing it can help me.

One place told me that I'm better off not trying to touch up the few rock chips I have. Otherwise it would be better to get them air-brushed. any recommendations?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont they make one that sprays on?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
mods951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about doing that but they quoted me a price of $800.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Wow, most places here are around $500. I've heard of the spray-on stuff, but am afraid to try it- I'm not a painter.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PO put one on my car before I got it. I think it's an Invisa-sheild judging by where it covers. Apparently it's a real pain to put on?
You can't tell it's on there at all unless you're closer then like 3 feet away and are looking for it. It has started to get some dirt under one edge of it which I'm not sure I can clean off without pulling it back then resticking it somehow.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. I had a chunk of wook fly off a truck in front of me and not even leave a mark on the header pannel when it bounced off. I just wish the front were repainted prior to putting it on since there are a couple paint chips under it.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone else have experience with these clear-bras ?? I am in the process of a paint job and was considering guards for my mirrors and nose piece. Any more opinions? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by motoxxxdeamon
Does anyone else have experience with these clear-bras ?? I am in the process of a paint job and was considering guards for my mirrors and nose piece. Any more opinions? Thanks!
If you are asking if someone has personally installed any of these systems, then for me it would be no. But, I have used on several of my cars different companies that install clear bra systems on various parts of the car. Some of these are big names, and have dealers throughout the nation. Here are some companies down below I have used. Of course, I went and used a local dealer for their products. Hope this helps. Read the section too by 3M about newly painted surfaces. Bottom line, it should be fully cured.

Click here for ---> Stoneguard Systems

Click here for ---> 3M Scotchgard System
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, I'm just hoping that it wont add a cloudy look to the nose panel.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by motoxxxdeamon
Thanks, I'm just hoping that it wont add a cloudy look to the nose panel.
Take the time and read what I posted, 3M has some Q&As. It's there. I'm out, good luck.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the systems are manufactured in the same factory. 3M and many of the big names are all made by Brady in Milwaukee. They all private label different variations of very similar products.

I had an inside source score me about 75' x 4' of the product. I am in the process of covering the entire hood, roof and nose of the car. It is not for the faint of heart. Very tough job and requires an immense amount of practice to do it correctly.

Once on it is fantastic but its not too much fun to put on a 5x5 sheet on the hood!! Holds up well on the track.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:41 AM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

brent - would you be interested in selling a small hunk of your roll for just the nose panel?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on getting one when I get the nose of my turbo resprayed.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:04 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

I've got a full 3M clear bra on my 951. It consists of the following pieces:

- bumper
- header panel
- headlight covers
- side view mirrors
- leading edges of front fenders

I didn't bother getting the mirror pieces installed, as my mirrors have not been resprayed. I also had the installer make an 8" strip that protects the leading edge of the hood. The kit also came with new rocker panel stonegard pieces, but mine are fine so I didn't have them installed either.

First of all, it was quite expensive. Including labour it cost $800 CAD. The installer did a very good job, but warned me beforehand that on a black car like mine, it's almost impossible to make it invisible. Apparently it works best on lighter colours. I think it looks very good, but there are a few blemishes and imperfections where you can see the adhesive. The installer also commented to me that the 951 bumper piece is extremely difficult to install, even for someone who does it for a living. Do not attempt it yourself!

After multiple track days, it's held up extremely well. My front end was peppered with rock chips before I had it resprayed, and now with the stongard it looks almost perfect.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to try a clear (also comes in black) and transparent spray-on called ChipGuard by SEM. ~$15/can, and a can is about all you'd need for your car. This is urethane stuff and is essentially the same as what Porsche, BMW, and others already use on the rocker panels. Sold at better auto paint supply stores.

It is tougher than the film stuff the factory put on, and does not crack or yellow, to my knowledge. Cleans off a hell of a lot easier than the factory film stuff, too.

In my experience, ChipGuard is a vastly easier, cleaner, more flexible, more versatile, more durable, less expensive, and all around superior product to the various films, especially the factory stuff, which I hate. I cannot think of a good reason not to use it instead of the films.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Guns951
Race Car

How translucent is it? Any examples of it on paint?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a 3M clear-bra on their Turbo?