Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have a 3M clear-bra on their Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa, ok, this I have exetnsive experience with. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I have it on my car. Had it done. Cost me $800 IIRC to have it done. That's including my AIR splitter and side mirrors. Rich Light at Granite Auto Grooming did mine. Completely clear, been on for five years, no yellowing, no fading, no peeling, and! when he details my car, he polishes the clear sheild too!

Plus he's the ONLY guy that touches my paint besides me. He's my detailer. He can send it to you pre cut in case you want to install it yourself but it's a tough job. I've seen it done. He also has some of the best products on the market today in regards to paint care. Graniteautogrooming.com. If you need proof of his stuff or his detailing skills, ask anyone that's seen my car. Anyone on this board even tries to stand up next to my paint, and they will be ashamed of themselves unless Anthony Orosco does it here from the boards. He'll give you a break on the price if you mention my name. 702-252-4000.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:26 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guns951
How translucent is it? Any examples of it on paint?
If it is installed right by a professional, as I've had done several times, it looks incredible! No clouding at all and as clear as day. I can get you tons of photos if you want to see what it looks like on some cars. And IMO, there are a lot of ALMS and other race teams that use these systems to protect the paint job, so that the sponsor logos last longer. Fact, not fiction, I lived it!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likewise, I would like to know if the SEM product can offer a clear smooth finish? Their web site continualy mentions a textured finish and it doesn't sound like it would work will for the nose and hood areas.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had invinca shield put on my fathers new truck (black). Looks great and judging by some other vehicles I've seen it does what it promises. I highly doubt a spray on product will look as good. As for diy installation, I wouldn't recommend it. Unlike typical vinyl it has to be stretched while it is applied. The guy who did my fathers is a friend of mine. He is located in Annapolis Md. if any body up there is interested...he is a fanatic for detail. Also, DO NOT apply to fresh paint. It will trap solvents and cause peeling for sure, I've seen it first hand. Only good for fully cured paint.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guns951
How translucent is it? Any examples of it on paint?
Here ya go pal. Go to this company web site and look under the Porsche cars they have done, or others too. I have used this company in the past, and they're incredible. If you want to try and do it yourself with kits, good luck. I don't know to many people that have the skills to get the finish product to look like theirs. But you can look and decide for yourself for they have lot of pics; and close-up ones too. Take a peak and let me know what you think.

Click here for ---> Detailing Dynamics

Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The SEM GhipGuard comes in spray cans of both clear and black. I used it in clear over my '90 BMW 535i front grill, foglights, headlights, and rocker panels. The black stuff was a bit too black for my Bimmer rocker panels, so in that case I used Honda charcoal spray, then used clear ChipGuard over that.

Several years and ~40K miles later, the rocker panels still look new. There is a slight texture, depending on whether several thin sprays were applied, or just one thick one. (I did the rocker panels at curbside using cardboard for masking, hardly the best environment.) Sprayed onto a horizontal surface at ~70 degrees in thin layers, it looks slightly "wet" when cured, which takes a few hours. Probably best used in a heated garage in relatively low humidity, as would be the case with normal spray paint. Comes off with solvent, unlike the film crap the factory installed, which is a gross PITA to remove and has all the other yellowing/cracking/aging disadvantages we all know and regret.

After repainting my 944 Turbo, I'll use this stuff on all chip-prone areas such as bumper cover, header panel, outside mirrors, foglights and turn signals, rocker panels, and everywhere the film stuff is now. Makes somewhat sandblasted foglight lenses look a lot better (almost new) so I sprayed my new Bimmer foglights from the getgo, and they still look new.

The factory or 3M film stuff, BTW, does not cover enough of the vulnerable area, in addition to being vastly more expensive and more difficult to apply.

I've seen ChipGuard (or similar) on newer BMWs. One of them was ~10 years old and had this stuff applied on the nose as far as ~10" back from the hood leading edge. No rock chips nor any sandblasting apparent. Does it look as good as a factory-fresh paint job? Not quite for the first few months, but by the time that factory-fresh paint job gets sandblasted a few miles down the road, the ChipGuarded paint will then look a lot better.

Call up a few good paint/body shops you know and trust, and ask for their insights. That's what led me to this stuff in the first place.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a 3M clear-bra on their Turbo?