Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

throttle position switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle position switch?

Ok, she runs fine at any rpm with any throttle position less than wide open. Heavy load, no load all fine...unless I go foot down. Revs fine whether idling or accelerating but even sitting in the garage if I open the throttle all the way she just shuts down. That just has to be a bad throttle position switch....right?

Other thoughts?

Bill
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so today its acting differently. Now, it will rev up unloaded when wide open, will rev wide open loaded as well until it reach 4000 rpms or so..then seams to want to shut down. Still thinking TPS. Any other thoughts?

Bill
Old 09-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bad TPS usually raises its ugly head with a high idle, not always, just most of the time. Unplug it and see if the rpms increase, if they do, then part of it's working correctly. If you have an DVM, you can put the leads on pins 4 and 6, at idle contact point, you should have 1 ohm. I always keep a spare TPS and DME relay in my car, do you have an old one you can try?

here's a good link
http://www.arnnworx.com/tps-repair.htm

WOT, you're in open loop so no O2 sensor in play...any mods to this car, is it still on the old AFM? If so, they have been known for the temp switch to go bad or the wiper ring will get old and worn and will provide poor feedback for the DME to manage the injectors.

Quick Reply: throttle position switch?