Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Locked Up - Place Your Bets!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note that those were brand new rod bearings. I dont know what the deal is with those rings, they dont rub off.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That damage looks identical to what my 951's block looks like. Piston #1 on mine, what one was yours Brian?
Mine was caused by some unknown reason, but the car was running fine (this is from what emwporsche told me when I bought it) and then a Vitesse stg.3 was put on, and then it was fired up and had trouble on 3 cylinders. At that point he said 'f it' and sold it to me.
Pulled the head off and wow... Looks just like your engine, but some light scraping on another cylinder too.

Maybe theres a similar problem between our two motors? The bottom end and top end were stock on this car.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barry Johnson
That damage looks identical to what my 951's block looks like. Piston #1 on mine, what one was yours Brian?
Mine was caused by some unknown reason, but the car was running fine (this is from what emwporsche told me when I bought it) and then a Vitesse stg.3 was put on, and then it was fired up and had trouble on 3 cylinders. At that point he said 'f it' and sold it to me.
Pulled the head off and wow... Looks just like your engine, but some light scraping on another cylinder too.

Maybe theres a similar problem between our two motors? The bottom end and top end were stock on this car.
Mine happened on #4. Do you know if your #1 cylinder had previous damage, like small scratches?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

#1 is the closest to the front of the car, right? Thats the one on mine that mauled the bore.
I dont' know about previous damage. I did just remember that when he showed me the car, the cyl. "#1" was all the way up and we couldn't see the damage. The 2nd or 3rd cylinder had some wear on the bore that you really couldn't feel, but could definitely see. Then when I got the car home, the engine had turned a little and exposed the real horror.

Hope you get some definitive answers on this...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

The damage could have actually been there. There are some small scuffs that aren't evident by touch that are there as well on that cylinder. But, this car had seen upwards of 23psi and over countless dyno runs within 10-12k miles. However that doesnt have anything to do with the car busting a ring when it was home getting a stg.3 kit put on.
I wish Eric could chime in and shed some more light...
Old 09-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crapola.

That is some serious damage. Am I looking at those pics right?... Is that a bent rod in one of the pics near the top???
Are those all pics of the same piston, or did all 4 suffer damage?

I can't recall the whole story of your tuning adventure, but did you ever encounter a lot of knock when tuning?....

That is what I was really afraid my engine would do eventually. Remember #2 on mine was eating the cylinder wall?....
At latest inspection the damage was reversing itself (i.e. the cylinder wall is almost toally clean now), but those images above are in my head every time I have any trouble with the engine......
Old 09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks i guess you have to go big bore sooner than you thought
Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Same on my motor. Except I couldn't get the piston out of the block. It took a piece of clyinder wall with it when it came out. Number 3 here. Rod bearings/main bearings were PERFECT.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian
Life has a way of kicking you when you are down. I have a two 951 engines tucked away..PM me and we can talk.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

I rebuilt my track car engine last December and went to dyno in January to adjust air/fuel ratio since i also installed a Kokeln Stage V turbo. The first three runs were fine but the forth run had major detonation. Never figured out why. The center electrode was completely burned away in one spark plug. Completed another twenty runs and ended at 346 HP. At home, compression and leakdown tests showed #3 cylinder at 50% leakdown but engine ran great.

I decided to drive at California Speedway and ran the entire weekend. Max speed was 161 MPH and the engine ran great (or so I thought) Compression and leakdown tests afterward now showed #3 at 20% and #2 at 50%. Teardown showed both pistons with rings locked in like yours and both cylinders scored, except that I didn't have the shavings. On the other hand, the shavings probably went out of the exhaust.

I never figured out why this occurred.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:41 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Any chance something fell on top of the piston when the spark plug was out? I managed to drop one of the aluminum washers from the banjo bolt connection on the inake into an open plug hole... Fortunately, I saw it happen and, after much teeth grinding and cussing, managed to retrieve it with a piece of gum attached to the end of some hard vacuum line!

Anyway, just a thought since the damage is isolated to one side of the piston, it looks like something got wedged in there.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:04 PM
AlexE
Pro

Looks like you washed the cylinders with gas. Any signs of gas in the oil?

WHat settings did you use in MS. Looks like you might of cranked it a number of times and actually just washed the walls clean. Hence the rings digging in so badly.

Do you have an msq file you can post. I can take a look and see how it compares to my settings.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Claus Groth
I rebuilt my track car engine last December and went to dyno in January to adjust air/fuel ratio since i also installed a Kokeln Stage V turbo. The first three runs were fine but the forth run had major detonation. Never figured out why. The center electrode was completely burned away in one spark plug. Completed another twenty runs and ended at 346 HP. At home, compression and leakdown tests showed #3 cylinder at 50% leakdown but engine ran great.

I decided to drive at California Speedway and ran the entire weekend. Max speed was 161 MPH and the engine ran great (or so I thought) Compression and leakdown tests afterward now showed #3 at 20% and #2 at 50%. Teardown showed both pistons with rings locked in like yours and both cylinders scored, except that I didn't have the shavings. On the other hand, the shavings probably went out of the exhaust.

I never figured out why this occurred.

Sorry for the hijack Brian.

Claus, how much was the fee to run in Cal speedway? I am only 10 minutes away from Fontana and I nver bother to check prices.

Tia

Lart
Old 09-11-2006, 01:09 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregeast
Any chance something fell on top of the piston when the spark plug was out? I managed to drop one of the aluminum washers from the banjo bolt connection on the inake into an open plug hole... Fortunately, I saw it happen and, after much teeth grinding and cussing, managed to retrieve it with a piece of gum attached to the end of some hard vacuum line!

Anyway, just a thought since the damage is isolated to one side of the piston, it looks like something got wedged in there.
If something fell in its been obliterated Theres some ugly scratches on the cylinder in other spots too. The cylinder wall has some damage in other spots too, but only that one really bad gouge.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:11 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexE
Looks like you washed the cylinders with gas. Any signs of gas in the oil?

WHat settings did you use in MS. Looks like you might of cranked it a number of times and actually just washed the walls clean. Hence the rings digging in so badly.

Do you have an msq file you can post. I can take a look and see how it compares to my settings.
I dont think so. No fuel smell at all on the plugs, wafting out of the cylinder, and the oil smelt fine.

If you PM me your email address ill send you my msq.

Quick Reply: Engine Locked Up - Place Your Bets!