Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do I need a starter heat shield? (Can't get it off during t-belt replacement!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a starter heat shield? (Can't get it off during t-belt replacement!)

I've done a little searching about others having problems getting their starter heat shields off. The top bolt of the starter heat shield won't come off and I've just about stripped it.... I've used everything I can think of to try to get it off but at this point its so mangled that I doubt its going to come off with anything short of a ratchet (which would, of course, require removing an exhaust piece and probably the wastegate!!!). Thus I'm looking for another solution.

Can I just cut off or bend the heat shield back to get the starter off? I'm doing my belts/rollers so I need to get the starter off to get the flywheel lock on. Any and all advice as to how to proceed is very much appreciated!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the right length extension and a 17mm socket, it should come off like butter, no removing any exhaust.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:46 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Doc: There's no room for a 17mm socket in between the bolt and the exhaust tubing, let alone a ratchet to connect it to! Are you sure we're talking about the same bolt??
Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The only bolt you should have to remove is the one in the picture. I guess you could bend the shield out of the way enough to get the starter out while leaving the bolts connected at the front of the heat shield? You should only have to loosen the two bolts in the front and the slide it off towards the back of the car. But if the are really stuck, I guess you could also try heating them.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2006, 06:53 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Quick bump. Don't have time to work on it tonight b/c of Anders' Go-Kart race/pizza, but i'd like to work on it tomorrow. I'm thinking of just cutting it off with sheet metal cutter sheers, and then replacing it in a few months when I install a new wastegate and exhaust system.

Will I have any significant problems w/o the heat shield for just a couple of months??
Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ask steve (KuHL 951) how fun it is to push-start the 951 on every run

yeah, on turbos from what i know it's pretty necessary otherwise it just soaks up.

it really shouldnt take that much effort to come out.

like......even i can do it in a few minutes. the starter is easier to remove than the air box on these cars.

if you bend it a bit on that last bolt, i dont see a problem, aside from it maybe breaking off......
Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ckathens
Quick bump. Don't have time to work on it tonight b/c of Anders' Go-Kart race/pizza, but i'd like to work on it tomorrow. I'm thinking of just cutting it off with sheet metal cutter sheers, and then replacing it in a few months when I install a new wastegate and exhaust system.

Will I have any significant problems w/o the heat shield for just a couple of months??
Which bolt is stuck -- the little 10mm bolts toward the rear of the car can be vice grips or dremelled off. The 17mm bolts toward the front of the car just need to be loosened and the shield slides out. (Why Porsche saw fit to use an M12 or M14 bolt to attach a 3 ounce heat shield is long-time mystery to me.) If a box end or open end wrench will still grip it, just tap the wrench with a hammer to loosen the big bolts. You could always file new flats on it as well if needed. The bolt itself if trapped by the exhaust, so you'll need to work something out until you're ready to pull the exhaust. Will the starter last a few months without the heat shield? -- I'd guess yes -- I'd also think you could just clip off that corner and re-install the bulk of the shield if really necessary.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:13 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the car blessed with the upper top bolt on the heat shield? This thread is useful for that: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/211836-the-wastegate-out-new-pics-loaded-in-first-post.html
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Which bolt is stuck -- the little 10mm bolts toward the rear of the car can be vice grips or dremelled off. The 17mm bolts toward the front of the car just need to be loosened and the shield slides out. (Why Porsche saw fit to use an M12 or M14 bolt to attach a 3 ounce heat shield is long-time mystery to me.) If a box end or open end wrench will still grip it, just tap the wrench with a hammer to loosen the big bolts. You could always file new flats on it as well if needed. The bolt itself if trapped by the exhaust, so you'll need to work something out until you're ready to pull the exhaust. Will the starter last a few months without the heat shield? -- I'd guess yes -- I'd also think you could just clip off that corner and re-install the bulk of the shield if really necessary.
Unfortunately the stuck (and now stripped) bolt is the top of the two 17mm bolts. UGH! I think I may take your advice and do a little clipping of the corner of the heat shield and re-install it with just one of the 17MM bolts. Then when I do the exhaust/wastegate/downpipe in a couple of months, i'll be able to get a ratchet on the bolt, and put a new heatshield on.

Joe: Thankfully, it looks like there isn't a top bolt on the heat shield. That looks like a pain in the ***!

Thanks for the assistance, all!

Quick Reply: Do I need a starter heat shield? (Can't get it off during t-belt replacement!)