944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Should I get my clubsports polished
No. The stock look is great!
28.57%
Yes. The polished look is hot!
34.29%
Get different set of rims. Keep the stock ones.
37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Should I get my clubsports polished?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a bunch of clubsports in different forms. I run the poished wheels on the street. The polished surface is resonably easy to keep clean but the insides is impossible. I just sold a set of factory clubsports that were chromed. The insides of the wheel were finished satin black, which looked pretty good and didn't require any special cleaning effort. If I was inclined I would pint the insides of my wheels the same way. I have a set of polished wheels and painted centers if anyone needs a set. 3 good tires.

Richard
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about the same thing because the PO ruined one of mine- it looks like he used a wheel cleaner on it. I considered getting different wheels when I got the car. Now they've grown on me and I think the '89 deserves to keep them. Well polished clubsports look amazing- much better than chrome.

I might try polishing and then see how hard they are to keep shiny. If it's too much of a PITA they could always be clear anodized again, and would probably look like original...I think.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:01 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Club Sports polished. About 5 yrs. ago I had these wheels professionally refinished and polished. They were in excellent condition, except dull & cloudy looking because the PO never paid much attention to them. Had the inside of the dish painted to what I guess you could call a matt silver to give it a factory like appearance (like milled aluminum). They have actually been very easy to take care of. Every once in a while I polish them myself and it takes me only a few hours. I learned one key is to use Wenol polish. It's one of the few if not the only non-petroleum based polish on the market. It keeps your wheels from getting that milky tarnished look and produces a mirror finish. Great stuff.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:21 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set of Club Sports that were deanodized and painted. They look as good as the original anodizing and are much much easier to take care of and keep clean.

I might be talked out of them for the right price.

Oh yeah, when I had anodized club sports a really like some stuff called Sea Power Metal Polish, it works great to clean the anodized wheels.

Now I am enjoying my Carrera Lightweight 5 spokes...

Old 08-26-2006, 01:11 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lejams, where would one buy Wenol polish?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
Hi Albert
I believe Summit carries it but you could also try www.eastwood or www.caswellplating.com
One of them should definitely carry it but i think it was Summit Racing that had it..
RKD in OKC
Those look really great that is probaly the best alternitive ...
I would love to hear how well these anidozed wheels would hold up if they were clear coated? When I re-did them I asked if they could be powder coated clear but the vendor said it couldnt be done ( this was 4 yrs ago )
I had two set of wheels re-done cost me about 600 for each set of 4
They looked like the came out of the showroom. I hate these wheels more that my ( ..... )
Don't get me wrong I love the way they look and perform I just can't stand cleaning them. And to make matters worse I have Porsche race pads and they eat the **** out of anything they touch
I have been battling back an forth whether to highly polish them I even called the guy who anodized them and he said he could do them for under $175 a wheel.
I told him I would only do it if I could powder coat them clear
He said it could be done and gave me a guy in S. San Fran who could clear powder coat them. He even said they can do the anodized wheels now. I wonder if anybody has done this on this board. For those who may be interested, the wheel guy is, Harvey Weidman.
He really is one of the best out there ( no affilation
I still haven't done it because I have way to many wheels( 4 sets, 2 sets of Club Sports one in mint shape never used after he re-did them and one has maybe 3k miles on as well a set of Mg Turbo Cup wheels and a set of Speedlines that need to be re-done ....
Regards
Ed
Old 08-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Guns951
Race Car

lejams- BEAUTIFUL CAR

definately polish the wheels, maintain and they will be soooo worth the look! Gives the depth and subtle highlight that compliments the body style. Porsche did this one right.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:15 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Have fun dealing with the anodized finish.... Not easy to strip off.

Well, that's sure not true. If you decide to strip and polish them, here's what you do:

Get a big plastic tub (big enough to fit the whole wheel in and under water, if possible), go to the plumbing section of yor local hardware store and get some lye, and get some good rubber gloves (the higher up your arm they go the better). Also get some scotch brite pads. If you can't find a big enough tub to submerge the whole wheel at once, get one that you can at least lay the wheel flat in and cover about half way up. Put the lye in the tub and fill it up with enogh water so that it won't overflow when you put the wheel in. Let the wheel soak for a few minutes, maybe 10 or so, asnd then use the scotch brite to get the anodization off. If needed, flip and repeat for the other side. It'll come off really easily. Now you have bare metal. Make sure not to get the lye on your hands, that won't be a pleasant experience. You might want to do this outside, so you don't spill lye on anything. Now you're ready to sand/polish/blast/paint/whatever.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:08 AM
lejams
Pro

Found some at Ace Hardware, but many places online sell it too. You want to buy the red. A bike parts polishing shop recomended it to me. Btw, if I were ever going to have the wheels refinished again, I would have the inner dish powder coated instead of paint.

www.wenol.com/
www.wenolit.com/
Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Have fun dealing with the anodized finish.... Not easy to strip off.
Hey Chris, i used some 80 grit greaseless compound to get that off, as well as removing the scratches, then moved to 220 grit and finally 320 grit. Emery, tripoli and white rouge compounds brought them up to a mirror finish.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 PM
joe@usd
Instructor

you know what i've noticed since the few days i'm here?

even tho a lot of you guys have the money to get your wheels polished by a professional company, you rather get your hands dirty and do it by yourself...

props to all the p-cars owner!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:30 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

If I go ahead I'm going to look into a clear coat.

RKD - Those 5 spokes look indredible. Do you know if they're forged or cast?

joe@usd wrote: 'even tho a lot of you guys have the money to get your wheels polished by a professional company, you rather get your hands dirty and do it by yourself..."

I've found this to be a lot more common with 924/44/51/68 guys. Not that there are't others but our cars have depreciated quite a bit and shop work is expensive. Kind of a 'labor of love' thing.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:29 PM
joe@usd
Instructor

well on an other forum that i visite, there is a GT3 owner that those all his labor by himself... and he puts the car on the track quite often... i do know that it is not everyone that does, but still...

props!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 AM
EdC
Pro

I'm going to give this a try. If it helps the "cleaning" issue, it may be easier than polishing. It is not really a wax, but something more durable.
http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html
Old 08-27-2006, 01:18 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would rather have something filling up the wheel well as much as possible so the 18's are the way to go for me. Polished, not clear coated. Kenisis Wheels. Sell the cups. Just my .02. Oh, and I'd do anything to avoid lye! You guys are nuts...

Quick Reply: Should I get my clubsports polished?