Need help to tune Greddy Profec Type S EBC

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:24 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help to tune Greddy Profec Type S EBC

Hey guys,
I just installed a Greddy Profec Type-S electronic boost controller. I'm running a Tial 35mm dual-port wastegate with a 12 psi spring. With the "Gain" left in the factory position (9 clicks from full counter-clockwise), I started to adjust the "Low" ****. I set it at 15 psi of boost, only took a few clicks from full counter clockwise to get there.

The problem was in setting the "High" ****. Even in the minimum position (full counterclockwise), my boost shot off the scale on my Autometer boost gauge (i.e. >20 psi). Is there any way to recalibrate this thing so that I can use the "High" ****? I'd like to set it at about 18 psi.

BTW, boost hits extremely fast with this EBC, much faster than my old black **** manual boost controller.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

I figured it out! The solenoid valve unit comes with three ports, labelled "COM", "NC", and "NO". Using a dual port external wastegate, you end up using the "COM" and "NC" ports, but nowhere in the instruction book does it say to remove the plastic plug that covers the "NO" port. After some serious overboosting trying to set the High ****, I've figured it out. Remove the plug to allow the "NO" port to vent, and she works like a charm.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:34 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by IanM
I figured it out! The solenoid valve unit comes with three ports, labelled "COM", "NC", and "NO". Using a dual port external wastegate, you end up using the "COM" and "NC" ports, but nowhere in the instruction book does it say to remove the plastic plug that covers the "NO" port. After some serious overboosting trying to set the High ****, I've figured it out. Remove the plug to allow the "NO" port to vent, and she works like a charm.
This same issue comes up about once a month about overboosting or no boost with a EBC, especially the Greddy units. Greddy didn't improve the instructions any on the Profec B Spec II either. Yup got to pull that plug for dual port mode. So what's your impression of the unit now?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:54 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

FWIW, a buddy of mine has been wrenching these cars for about 15 years, street cars, track cars, etc. When he wanted to turn up his boost he said he had to sit down with the manual for an hour and then ended up asking someone else. Sounds like their documentation leaves a lot to be desired. But he certainly likes the product itself, he says it is very accurate.

Regards,
Russell
Old 08-18-2006, 10:31 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

It works well now that I've pulled that plug. The boost needle shoots up towards the set boost level at an incredible rate, comes on much quicker than with the manual boost controller (black ****).

My only concern now is regarding where I mounted the solenoid, or as Greddy calls it, the "Boost Control Valve". The instructions say to mount it somewhere where it won't get hot or wet. I installed it inside the engine compartment, right below the VIN number. It's a perfect spot as far as routing hoses and available space is concerned, but it is within the engine compartment and not too far away from the headers. Hopefully that won't be a problem.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:49 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

It works well now that I've pulled that plug. The boost needle shoots up towards the set boost level at an incredible rate, comes on much quicker than with the manual boost controller (black ****).

My only concern now is regarding where I mounted the solenoid, or as Greddy calls it, the "Boost Control Valve". The instructions say to mount it somewhere where it won't get hot or wet. I installed it inside the engine compartment, right below the VIN number. It's a perfect spot as far as routing hoses and available space is concerned, but it is within the engine compartment and not too far away from the headers. Hopefully that won't be a problem.
On my friend's car it is mounted to the passenger side strut tower, it's been there for at least 3 years that I know of. There really is NO place under our cars' hoods that isn't hot.

Regards,
Russell
Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
On my friend's car it is mounted to the passenger side strut tower, it's been there for at least 3 years that I know of. There really is NO place under our cars' hoods that isn't hot.

Regards,
Russell
Won't it mount in the cowl area behind the firewall near the battery? Seems like a cooler area to me but requires a few new holes and grommets. I have mine mounted there for now but it's not hooked up waiting for the time to do Tial install.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:20 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Mounted mine inside the car right near the DME.

Quick Reply: Need help to tune Greddy Profec Type S EBC