Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Remove AC condenser w/out AC delete bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:10 AM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove AC condenser w/out AC delete bracket

I have a 90% track car. The AC has a leak somewhere. I had it filled once but it eventually stopped working again and has not worked for the last year or two. This is a track car and I'm about to get a trailer so I don't need the AC.

I would like to remove the condenser for better air flow to the radiator. Can I disconnect the lines and drop the condensor and leave the compresser (and OEM belts) on. I will eventually get an AC delete bracket but want to get a few issue sorted and a couple of track events in before investing much more in this car.

The freon has likely all leaked out. It there any special precautions I should take when disconnecting the lines to the condensor?

Is it OK to run a track car without the condenser and the radiator more exposed as a result?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-13-2006, 03:56 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can remove the condensor without having the take the compressor out, no problem. If most of your freon is gone anyways there shouldn't be much to worry about. When you unbolt your lines there may be a little pressure leak out, just keep you face clear of it and you should be alright.

When I did this on my old car I left the condensor in for a while to protect the radiator from debris. I always thought about making a mesh screen to mount where the condensor goes to catch the rocks before they jammed themselves into the radiator, but I never got around to it.

Quick Reply: Remove AC condenser w/out AC delete bracket