Electric Window Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:45 PM
zoso_turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Window Wiring Question

Ok......

This is my second post on this topic.....Both electric windows are dead....both just "died". Pulled the switch, checked for power and nothing, no power. Fuse is good, and the relay "seems" fine. I can tell you that the relay gets really hot when the car is running, hot enough that I piulled the relay in order to avoid any unwanted events.

So, question for you....What is your take on this scenario??? Thoughts, suggestions....

thx

zoso
Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

What year and model? I didn't think the windows had a fuse, the window contol relay connects to the battery and supplies unswitched power to the window switches after the relay closes. Did you swap out the relay?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

My windows work, but my relay also gets VERY hot... The motors themselves are not drawing the current, I checked that. So, not sure about the heat problem... Might want to swap the relay with a known good one...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Did you check to make sure the wires are not split at the door joint? There could be a short there constantly pulling power through the relay making it hot and your windows not work. Those relays have a MASSIVE resistor in them which is what is heating it up.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 PM
zoso_turbo
Intermediate

Excellent feedback....thx...The car is an '86 951, and I did check the wires between the doorjoint, things look fine there, no breaks whatsoever. We did try a different relay and to no avail, unless it is bad as well. I will press to try yet another relay.

I have to say that the relay gets freakin HOT. Sounds like this is normal. I was a little worried, as I did check the other relays and they did not get that hot.

Anything else, let me know. I am fast becoming the window doctor.

ciao!!

dan
Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you might have a short to ground. Pull the relay and check pin 87 of the relay for continuity to ground. Pin 87 is the +12V power output of the relay. If it is low resistance, that would explain the hot relay.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
944TTwin
Advanced

Are you sure you window switches are good. b/c i had a similiar problem couple of months ago and i was positve my switches were good (b/c i had replace them when i got the car). sure enough after tearing apart both doors going through all the wiring it was one of the switchs that was no good.
anyways power is sent to the driver side door and then it goes to the passenger door, so problem should be a wire, ground or relay
Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 PM
zoso_turbo
Intermediate

Couple questions.....How do I check the relay? I performed the test found in the document that the following link contains....No reisistance was detected, nor did the relay switch.

http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999403.pdf

The switches may in fact be original, I have owned the car for 10 years and have never replaced them.

How about the fuse box itself? Any chance it has gone array?

thx again
Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Zoso this is how a relay works. It is just an electronic switch. what ever you put into pin 87 when activated comes out of pin 30. when pin 85 see power and 86 see ground ( or vis vera 85 ground and 86 power) it activates the relay to put power out of pin 30. So if you want to see if the relay is working take the relaly out and give 85 power and 86 ground and you should hear the relay click. With the relay activated check for continuity between 87 and 30. Call me again and we will figure this out. John 845-928-9099 sound fx

Quick Reply: Electric Window Wiring Question