Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SMT-6 tunning

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMT-6 tunning

Took my car to a shop and had them do some adjusting to my car. Car runs great up top but i think it is alittle sluggish down low. I think when the shop did the adjustment I think they were really just concerned with adjusting under full boost. He said he got my A/f at 12.1. I have a little back fireing thru the exhaust at lower rpms on deceleration. From what i understand that is from running to rich. Any way I am looking for a tuner ( person or shop ) who knows the SMT well and will help me or tune my car accross the board. I am located in the NY area. I am in orange county NY ( Orange county chopper area). Thanks John
Old 08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

John, You have the latest MAF software, it's very close to ideal. The SMT6 allows you to fine tune it. 12:1 under load is ok, a bit richer (11.8:1) is ideal.
Backfiring whean deaccelerating is fine, you are just burning the excess fuel.

The sluggishness down low is due to your turbo. Leaning out the AFR will help some, but don't expect miracles.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:01 PM
ross255
Instructor

JBrown
Do you have a wideband, if not you need to get one.

Using that its sooo easy to tune using the smt6.
You will be able to take out soem of the fuel at lower revs if you wish, and cruise at 14.7 a/f, but still leaving it go to 12 when under more load.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:01 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ross255
JBrown
Do you have a wideband, if not you need to get one.

Using that its sooo easy to tune using the smt6.
You will be able to take out soem of the fuel at lower revs if you wish, and cruise at 14.7 a/f, but still leaving it go to 12 when under more load.

The chip/board software will keep around stoich. when running in closed loop (assuming his O2 sensor is functioning properly). Closed loop is Idle and PT/low load.

Under WOT the software is programmed to go rich. If his turbo is laggy and not coming on till later, he will be running rich till he hits boost.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Car is running great just though i might be able to wake up the car alittle at lower rpms. I no that the turbo is going to be alittle laggy. I was under the assumption that with smt I would be able to adjust the A/F at lower rpms without effecting the AF up top. If not I will leave it alone.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 PM
ross255
Instructor

JBrown.

Have you actually looked at the tuning map on a laptop?
If not take a look, its an easy grid with load vs revs, just read the instructions.

Its not very difficult at all, like I said ake a look, and you can see that there is LOADS of adjustment for fuel, at varying load and rpm points. So you can alter a/f at lower rpms and has no effect on the a/f at high rpms.

Quick Reply: SMT-6 tunning