Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Little worried about driving. Updated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel pump generally only makes a whining noise if it is being run dry. They wear incredibly fast when run dry and could result in a low pressure scenario. That shouldn't cause your car to stall - only run very lean - unless your pump is being starved completely. Have you take the fuel tank outlet port off? There is a screen internally attached to it that can become clogged and starve your pump (would have to be extremely clogged). If the pump was starved and ran dry, its a good bet you'll need to change it out.

Another thing - the intermittant stalling can be caused by cracked solder joints in the DME itself. If the car stalls again, try stomping on the passenger floorboard and try starting again. If it starts, there's a chance that your DME needs to be replaced.

Hope this works out for you, the intermittant type of problem are always the worst.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Great ideas guys thanks.

Mark T -- I think I can reproduce the problem now. I plan on running the car in my garage for 20 minutes or so. That is how long it took to make it stall this afternoon. When it wont start up again I will try to tap the FPR during cranking to 'unstick' it. I have a spare FRP but it is the stock one. I need a 3 bar to go with my Guru chips, but it will work for troubleshooting.

944 Fanatic -- 'fuel tank outlet port' Where is that? I will try to clean it when I get at it. I will try the stomp idea as well. I like to stomp things. Just curious, how much for a DME???

Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if your not getting full pressure its prob. the pump taking a dump- unless the reg. is sticking open but it still should be above 30psi.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Teddy952
Racer

thanks xs.

Working on getting a fuel gauge installed.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
jacklet
Racer

doubt your tank screen is clogged that only stops boulders,kids, and other vermin from hitting the pump
Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
doyle
Racer

Definately try a known good DME for a bit before you go dumping money into everything else. I had a similar condition in my 83 NA. Ran great and then all of the sudden would lose power and run horribly. Started very intermittently and over the course of a few months got progressively worse.

Replaced distr, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, DME relay, fuel pump, coolant temp sensor. None of this worked. The last piece of the puzzle was swapping the DME and it never sputtered again.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Yes definitely check the DME relay. Once you get that pressure gauge installed, though, when it dies jumper terms 30-87b and look at your fuel pressure.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Teddy952
Racer

I did do a visual check on the solder joints in the DME relay and they looked ok.
Jumpering it when the cars stalls is exactly what I plan to do

Quick Reply: Little worried about driving. Updated!!!