Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ALL NEW VAC. LINES.......no diff.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006 | 06:53 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by a4944
How long should the pressure hold when you pressurize the system? I did the fuel filter in the J-Boot method with a bike pump. It pressurized to 10 PSI no problem but would go down to 0 in about 10 seconds or less so I had to keep pumping. I did find a major leak in boost line from the intercooler pipe and fixed that (it was causing stumbling on boost). The cycling valve is leaking at the electrical connections but I did a search here and that is common. Should it hold pressure longer or should I expect to have to keep adding air? Do I need to plug any lines out of the J-Boot? I sprayed soapy water and listened for leaks but did not find anything beyond the two I mentioned.

Thanks,
Mark
can you describe in more detail how to do the pressure test using the fuel filter
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:00 AM
a4944
Racer

I cut a fuel filter in half. I bought tire stems, they came in a two pack and are available at any auto parts stores. There is a rubber bulb at the bottom of these. I worked that into one of the fuel line connections on the haf of the fuel filter. It will only fit into one. I had to work it back-and-forth to get it all the way in, it's a tight fit.

I removed the AFM (air filter box assembly). I then inserted the half fuel filter into the black J-Boot in which the AFM was removed and used the clamp already there to secure. I don't have a compressor so I used a hand bike pump with a guage to pressurize. I heard a hiss under one of the intercooler pipes and it was coming from the vacuum line from the banjo bolt, it was split. I was sprayed soapy water around looking for bubbles.

I read that some plug certain lines out of the J-Boot but I did not do that. I'm not sure how long the pressure should hold. I had to keep pumping the bike pump to get pressure which made it tougher to find leaks.

ArnnWorx has a how-to. He used a fitting for a compressor. He also apparently makes a tool so that you don't have to use the J-Boot and fuel filter. I have read where others got some PVC caps from hardware stores instead of using the fuel filter.

http://www.arnnworx.com/boost_testing.htm

This method did help me find some problems but I don't know how long the system should hold the pressure.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-22-2006 | 02:04 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

very cool....thanks
Old 07-23-2006 | 02:33 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

did you replace the o-ring in the venturi? You could have a vacuum leak there and it will be pronounced after replacing the vacuum hoses and possible stopping other minor leaks in the process.
Old 07-23-2006 | 02:38 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

anyone ever experience a vacuum leak which affects the brakes? I have one and cant find the leak.
Old 07-23-2006 | 02:41 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Andial951
anyone ever experience a vacuum leak which affects the brakes? I have one and cant find the leak.
That would have to be between the manifold and the brake booster. Check/replace the hose, check the plastic T, check the check valve under the T, check the nipple on the manifold to make sure its in and sealed, and theck the connection on the brake booster. It would be cheap to just replace that whole section.

Quick Reply: ALL NEW VAC. LINES.......no diff.