Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof Issues

Yesterday I tried to open the sunroof and heard a whirring noise coming from the rear. The sunroof opens but not equally in height. I try to close it and the drivers side stays up about a 3/4 of an inch. I have to turn off the ignition and turn it back to position 1 (ignition). I then press the position A and the drivers side drops down equal to the roof line. I had to open the drivers door and manually lock the door. Whenever I use the central locking or used the key in the lock ... the drivers side pops up again. I presume the plastic gear is damaged somewhere in the headliner? It seems both sides work equally but are now off.

Are there somethings I can loook for to fix it?

Sorry ... forgot to add that it's the early model sunroof system ... pre Feb 1986 (built in November 1985).

Last edited by Jaak Lepson; 07-17-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:32 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine pop'd today at 140MPH on the autobahn. Drivers side did not want to go down all the way. Striped gear is what I think!

They want $9.95 a gear at www.automotion.com. www.clarks-garage.com has a hell of a write up on fixing the dang thing. Looks like a springtime Samtag or Sonnetag job.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Went thorugh my frinds second floor stockroom and found an update kit for the early (pre February 1986) sunroof lifting drive gear. You keep the existing motor and only replace the lifting cable assembly and assorted connecting hardware. There is a write-up in the 944 factory manual on page 61-18a.
I am getting mine replace next week ... it has the plastic gears which is easier to replace. This part is available from Porsche as it is in the latest database issued by them in July 2006. I will not post the price as it is in CDN $ and I know the dealers price. I am getting it for free .... did some work for my friend!!! The replacement is fairly easy with a slight bit of modification required ... wrench is doing it for me with me helping!!!

P/N944 564 941 00
Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

What I could see from clarks is that the sun roof gear for my 1987(the one that the arms connect to and the cable turns is part # 944-564-430-01. I was not planning on doing a change over to a new system but insted replacing one gear on one side.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
What I could see from clarks is that the sun roof gear for my 1987(the one that the arms connect to and the cable turns is part # 944-564-430-01. I was not planning on doing a change over to a new system but insted replacing one gear on one side.
I understand ... I put it up for others who have the same problem as I do with the earlier sunroof lifting gears (pre February 1986 build) . I wish mine had been done earlier so this would be an easy fix for me ....
Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
EdC
Pro

See Clark's Garage's Shop Manual under sunroofs. Very informative.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

Quick Reply: Sunroof Issues