Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost Gauge selection choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost + vacuum. More information is always helpful. I chose the Cobalt gauges from Autometer for boost and a/f. They light up blue at night. I eventually plan on going with blue LEDs for the dash to match.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
philcav7
Racer

SD Porsche Fan,

Just curious if that AFM is wideband or narrow.....and what exactly is the difference between the two?

Also if any are using the A pillar pods, is there any permenant damage from installing one with a boost, afm mounted in it? I am leary of drilling holes and or modifications.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philcav7
SD Porsche Fan,

Just curious if that AFM is wideband or narrow.....and what exactly is the difference between the two?

Also if any are using the A pillar pods, is there any permenant damage from installing one with a boost, afm mounted in it? I am leary of drilling holes and or modifications.
The dual a pillar guage pod is available from Lindsey Racing. Direct replacement for stock. It's a little tricky getting the stock trim piece off. Do a search on "A pillar" and you'll get a lot of tips.

The Autometer afm is narrowband. If you went with a wideband you'd have to replace the stock O2 sensor with a wideband version.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

It's a narrowband gauge. It merely reacts to constant voltage change from the O2 sensor. The lights literally scan back and forth constantly.The only practical use for the narrowband is under WOT throttle when you can actually see a steady signal and it should be in the STOICH area.

The wideband is able to give a more accurate indication of the AFR under a variety of condition as opposed to just WOT.

That said, I have the Ultra-lite boost/vacuum gauge and AFR.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:10 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted one with memory so i went with Greddy.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Giantman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andial951 what brand/model digital boost gauge is that and where can one be purchased?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

You can get all the info here

EDIT - The model I purchased was A213E351Y....shows vacuum and boost and has the memory. Came with everything needed for install.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Giantman
Racer

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
The only practical use for the narrowband is under WOT throttle when you can actually see a steady signal and it should be in the STOICH area.
I hope not! The mixture should only be stoich during part throttle/cruise. WOT should be well "rich" of stoich. Otherwise you'll be swapping motors pretty often.
The wideband is able to give a more accurate indication of the AFR under a variety of condition as opposed to just WOT.
Wideband is a MUCH more accurate tool. Check out this chart, it shows the superior linear signal pattern of the wideband...

Narrowband sensors were created for the purposes of fuel economy and emissions. They are a vague instrument for a turbo car looking for mixture information under boost.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge selection choices