Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB oil pressure relief valve(oprv)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB oil pressure relief valve(oprv)

im diagnosing a low oil pressure problem and would hate to spend the money on a new one ...so i thought id go the cheaper way and hope someone might have one used for sale.

thanks

Doug
Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy a new one. Especially since you are looking for the 86 upgrade. I would not trust a used one.

Chris White
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

damn..........alllllllllllllright ...i knew either you or ski or john(vitesse) would say that
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Agreed buy a new one but at that price I would make sure that's the OPRV is the problem first. Anyone you can borrow one from a locally?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:27 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

not to many 951's in southern jersey
Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

how low is your oil pressure? do you still have the original 3 piece valve? If you do, try taking it out and cleaning/polishing the piston and cleaning out the bore it rides in and maybe shimming the spring and see what happens.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:34 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

I have a good 3 piece OPRV if you go that route...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 AM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MHT
how low is your oil pressure? do you still have the original 3 piece valve? If you do, try taking it out and cleaning/polishing the piston and cleaning out the bore it rides in and maybe shimming the spring and see what happens.
oil pressure is 3-3.5 bar cold and drops as low as 1.5 bar hot... i took it out and cleaned it with brake cleaner an saw 4 bar but then i blipped the throttle and it went back down to 3 bar..but maybe ill take it back out again and do a more extensive cleaning ...like what you say to do.

thanks

Doug
Old 07-12-2006, 11:11 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Doug, what kind of oil do you run? has the oil pressure always been like this or has it gradually dropped over a period of time? Has there been a sudden drop in pressure? what work has been done to the car recently? I saw one instance several years ago where someone, not me, put standard main bearings in a motor that had a refinished crank, but that car made no oil pressure at all once it was warm. Have seen some problems with either incorrectly installed front crank pulley or loose front crank bolt. The oil pumps in these cars are pretty bullet proof unless you have a major failure and send a lot of shrapnel through the system.

Good luck Mark T.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dougoh
oil pressure is 3-3.5 bar cold and drops as low as 1.5 bar hot... i took it out and cleaned it with brake cleaner an saw 4 bar but then i blipped the throttle and it went back down to 3 bar..but maybe ill take it back out again and do a more extensive cleaning ...like what you say to do.

thanks
Doug
Check the bottom of the housing if you haven't yet. On my 86 I had the 3-piece valve out twice for cleaning and each time I thought my problem was solved. Turns out I had some crud that looked like melted seal pieces down at the bottom of the bore in the housing. It took a bright light, carb cleaner, a chop stick, and compressed air to get it all out. The piston had fine score marks but It worked just fine after that. I had already found a 1-piece retrofit valve so I swapped it out anyway. I hope you find the problem.

Quick Reply: WTB oil pressure relief valve(oprv)