Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help FAST, something with dme box/ stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 PM
mikebarton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help FAST, something with dme box/ stalling

hey guys, i posted a post on stalling ,i wanted to start a new post b/c i figured out why car is stalling, it was none of the 200 things we talked about in the other post. i took off the dme panel on passenger floor and the car stalls when i move the box around. i have to jiggle the get carto run? all wires look ok to me? what can this be????????????so it is something definetly dealing with my dme klr and its in the area under the passneger foot well.....help , i need to figure this out like NOW???i need this car to run this week.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:56 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Take the cover off the DME and check the solder connections between the board and the plug. They might be cracked and disconnect when you move them around. If you've got a soldering iron you should be able to reflow the solder around them to make solid connections.
This is basicaly what people do when you send it off to them to fix up a malfunctioning DME/KLR.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM
mikebarton
Intermediate

anyone have a pic of a stock dme chip, i cant tell if my car has a stock chip or not. my current chip has a number on top and thats it,,,,,,,,anyone have a stock chip and what does it look like?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikebarton
anyone have a pic of a stock dme chip, i cant tell if my car has a stock chip or not. my current chip has a number on top and thats it,,,,,,,,anyone have a stock chip and what does it look like?
If the number starts with like 944.xxx.xxx or 951.xxx.xxx.xx then it is a stock chip.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Jusii
Instructor

I have one right here, silver sticker with black numbers. 1267355235 from '86 951
Old 07-02-2006, 01:29 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Odd,
The stock ones that came out of my 951. Started out with a Porsche part number!

I input that number in a site that will look up porsche parts by the number. The number does not show as a Porsche part!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:42 PM
leonc944
Instructor

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
Odd,
The stock ones that came out of my 951. Started out with a Porsche part number!

I input that number in a site that will look up porsche parts by the number. The number does not show as a Porsche part!
That's because it is not available for purchase as a spare part from Porsche.

There are a lot of numbers all over the car that you cannot buy or find in a parts catalog.

Never seen a stock chip that started with 944. or 951. They all start with 126xxxxxxx
Old 07-02-2006, 01:47 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

All I can attest to, not to get into a pissing contest, about some **** that I could really care a less about but.

My Chip's, that were in my lastest 951, had a white sticker on them. That sticker had a Porsche part number that started with 951.

You can contact my Porsche mechanic at www.Father-Sons.com ! His name is Peter and he still has the chips. Maybe they were not stock! However, and not to get snotty but I am forsure that a Professional Porsche Wrech with over 10 years experince torque'n nuts on Porsches can Square away my obvious visual issues.

Thank you!

There is a distinct possibility like many other parts that the chip is a BOSCH part just like the tranny is AUDI and blow off valve is SAAB! Possibably A little sticker was put on mine by sombody that idintified it as a Porsche part!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Jusii
Instructor

Reason why you can't get it as a spare from Porsche might be, that it's part of DME, they sell it as whole. Doing a search in rennlist gives you plenty of hits with that number.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/rotax/.../motronic.html

No, 1267355235, is a Bosch part number. There are quite a few parts on 951’s that have part numbers like the DME box is a BOSCH P/N. I bet since my landlord is an Engineer at BOSCH in Homburg, Germany. He, with that number, might be able to tell us a bit more about the history of the particular P/N.
Back to my point and it is simple. It is not abnormal as you take the car apart to find stickers on parts with Porsche part numbers. Porsche did have a system of tracking parts whither the part originated from BOSCH, SAAB, AUDI, or VW. That is the reason why the sticker on the chip had P/N beginning with 951, or the chip was installed later, was not factory, and that company used P/N 951 to define its part numbers.

Either way I assumed that the sticker on my chip was a Porsche part number and did not remove it, and I really don't care to get in a pissing contest about this.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
mikebarton
Intermediate

ya mine is 126xxxxxx so i guess its stock.......

Quick Reply: help FAST, something with dme box/ stalling