Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hoop Spoler (944S2) for 951-FITMENT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoop Spoler (944S2) for 951-FITMENT QUESTION

I have searched and read the threads on 968 hoop spoilers being fitted to the 951, and that the 968 spoiler is not a direct fit replacement. I did not find a definite answer to if 944S2 is direct replacement with no mods.

I would like to know for sure if a 1990 944 S2 hoop spoiler is a direct replacement with no mods needed for the rubber spoiler on my 87 951?

I am especially interested in someone who has personally done this exact replacement.

Thank you for your input.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if it is a direct one or not , but I have a fiber glass one made to fit a 944.

stephen
Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know for sure if a 1990 944 S2 hoop spoiler is a direct replacement with no mods needed for the rubber spoiler on my 87 951?
In short, No.

The "rubber spoiler hatch" does not have the brackets needed to bolt on the centre section of the lower spolier that goes above the lock. The actual "Hoop" does bolt directly on to a normal 944 glass hatch frame.

You can buy AFTERMARKET fibreglass "hoop spoiler" kits that fit directly, but the quality is iffy.

FYI: The "Hoop" spoiler first appeared on the 1990 951. Then in 1991 it came on both the 951 and the S2. (They were exactly the same on both the 951 and S2.) Then in 1992 it came on the 968, which again was exactly the same, excet the 968 hatch reloacted the 3rd brake light above the hatch keyhole. If you use a 968 hatch on a 944, the 3rd brakelight will prevent you from being able to open the hatch with your key.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Blueman33
Pro

So what is the easiest route to take? It seem that replacing the hatch with a 1990 S2 or 951 would be tough to find.

I can buy the hoop spoiler for $683 at the porsche dealer, but what do I do with the center section bolt? glue it on, or drill a hole the frame of the hatch or what?

And the aftermarket ones? I don't want 'iffy' quality.

Basically what's the best plan? yeah yeah..........besides leaving the damn thing alone!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueman33
So what is the easiest route to take? It seem that replacing the hatch with a 1990 S2 or 951 would be tough to find.

I can buy the hoop spoiler for $683 at the porsche dealer, but what do I do with the center section bolt? glue it on, or drill a hole the frame of the hatch or what?
Only the 1991 S2 had the so-called hoop spoiler in the US.

Is that $683 for just the spoiler itself, or for the spoiler, under spoiler, left and right side trim and assorted gaskets... all of which are quite expensive. I suspect it's just the upper spoiler.

In order to fit the spoiler and assorted trim pieces to a normal 944 hatch you need to fabricate 4 metal tabs to hold the under spoiler, and you need to drill two holes in the window frame because the side trim pieces have an extra attached stud. There is a recent thread here on Rennlist that shows a regular hatch with the fabricated metal tabs.

Buying all the parts new will probably cost you more than a used 968 hatch... if you can find one. They are getting harder to find and as a result, more expensive too. I only paid $500 for mine a few years ago
Old 07-01-2006, 01:28 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blueman33

And the aftermarket ones? I don't want 'iffy' quality.

Basically what's the best plan? yeah yeah..........besides leaving the damn thing alone!
If you can wait a couple of weeks I'm going to do a "how-to" write up after I finish mine. As Tom said, you need to fabricate 4 metal tabs and drill two holes as the rest is a direct bolt on replacement. Fabricating the metal tabs isn't that hard but it does take patience. Essentially you cut 4 strips of 1/8inch thick, 3/4inch wide metal from Home Depot ~1.5inches long, bend them to the correct angles, drill holes on one end to attache to the existing holes in the hatch and drill holes in the other to attach to the center trim piece. I chose to tap my holes so they would use the same size metric screws that held in the spoiler, albeit a bit shorter. In the end they should look like this:
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2006, 01:56 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I might just add that some of the replica spoilers are pretty good and it would cost a lot less. I was planning on a complete hatch swap however the hatch I received was in poor condition so I opted to transplant the parts. If you are looking for just the hoop portion, I have a contact that makes a good replica fiberglass replica part for probably less than 1/3 that price. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever but if you are interested drop me a PM and I will give you their email. Also, check Ebay as they do appear ever so often.

Quick Reply: Hoop Spoler (944S2) for 951-FITMENT QUESTION