Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone ever get compliements from bikes??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone ever get compliements from bikes??

I was getting on the freeway today, admittedly at a high rate of speed....i probably got to about 100 before i started to slow down, and this GSX-R 750 was behind me getting on at the same time i was. i merged over to the fast lane to begin my route to work, and he's checking out the car from behind, then from the front, pulls back to where i can see him, looks back at me and gives me a thumbs up, then jets out.

a few months back, when i was getting my cat-delete installed, my friend took my car to a muffler shop here in sacramento, and as he was driving back to pick me up (since he had my car), he says another GSXR did basically what was described above, but turned around and gave him a fist-pump as in "hell yeah!" and jetted off.

i dont think they're the same GSXR, cuz they were different colors.

but i was wondering if anyone here ever got any compliments from passing sport bikes?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do all the time. People on sport bikes appreciate the performance.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
I do all the time. People on sport bikes appreciate the performance.

that's what i was thinking. cuz i mean.........a 750, or even a 600 will waste 90% of the 951's on here, but they have to appreciate what it is, which is a damn good car for what you pay...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:46 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually get a when I flat "leave" them on the tight back road twisties. No match for four contact patches.......
Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to get lots of thumbs up from bikes when I had my 356 Roadster, but I often thought they were mistaking it for a wayward sidecar! I live about 20 miles from the Dragon and would get in with a lot of bikes.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:32 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of bikers get suprised that a car can leave them behind or keep up, they probably live in a fantasy world most of the time thinking that superbikes are the fastest thing on the street. Not only does a car have a bigger contact patch, aerodynamics are also better so in higher speeds (120 mph+) few bikes leaves a well tuned 951 in the dust.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:09 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes lot of respect from super bikers including on one occasion coming alongside standing on the footpegs clapping and thumbs up (ater we slowed down to 70 or so). I think it is rare that people challenge them - dont think most ferrari's would risk the ego.
What really amuses me is seeing 600 or smaller lying flat on the tank trying to squeeze that extra acceleration as you pass them at 130ish
Old 06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well, in a freeway run/race, 600-750 most basic modded 951's should be able to give them a good run if not pass them.

I have had several guys on sport bikes get on it and see me right on their tail and they do that "double take" look back. Suprised I was staying with them. Then they give the thumbs up.

Originally Posted by 95Juan
that's what i was thinking. cuz i mean.........a 750, or even a 600 will waste 90% of the 951's on here, but they have to appreciate what it is, which is a damn good car for what you pay...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:44 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by toddk911
Well, in a freeway run/race, 600-750 most basic modded 951's should be able to give them a good run if not pass them.

I have had several guys on sport bikes get on it and see me right on their tail and they do that "double take" look back. Suprised I was staying with them. Then they give the thumbs up.

what do you mean by "basic modded"

that to me means chip, exhaust, maybe MAF and other very "basic" things stopping at a new turbo.

considering most modern 600cc superbikes run mid-low 11's and trap at over 120 i think you'd need more than "basic mods" lol.

i mean, i'd expect to stay with an SV650 or something like that, but if i'm going to race a 600 or 750 true superbike (CBR600RR, R6, etc), i'd only hope that i could stay somewhere near it until we hit 120-130 when aerodynamics turn to my favor.

that, or we hit twisty roads where i have about a billion times bigger contact patch.....
Old 06-30-2006, 01:29 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The most obvious factor is superbike performance is the rider. It takes a lot more skill and guts to ride these bikes to their performance limits.

A highly skilled rider would on any new 600 bike would trounce even highly modified cars up to 130 on the highway then aero limits would take over.

On back roads, a highly skilled rider should be able to keep up with most 951s. The difference being road conditions will cause any sane rider to keep his pace well below the capabilities of the machine.

Unfortunatley most owners of sport bikes posess zero skills and rider training, unlike UK where getting a license is much more of a process. Many Porsche drivers have track time and DE training.

And one more thing, on a bike 130MPH feels very, very fast. You get a very clear picture of how much it would hurt to go down. This usually keeps you from pushing it that much harder. In a 951, 130 feels quick, but not deadly fast.

I've owned two 951s and a couple of sport bikes including my current 2002 TT600 which has easily pulled past 04 earlier Vettes, 964 turbos and STis.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:57 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is what I mean by basic modded"

And of course off the line or 1/4 runs a bike would kill most any street cars. I am, and almost always everyone else in here, is referring to either a track on the twisties or a freeway, high speed run.

Well, I guess every bike I have ever run with on the interstate had terrible drivers

Originally Posted by 95Juan
what do you mean by "basic modded"

that to me means chip, exhaust, maybe MAF and other very "basic" things stopping at a new turbo.

considering most modern 600cc superbikes run mid-low 11's and trap at over 120 i think you'd need more than "basic mods" lol.

i mean, i'd expect to stay with an SV650 or something like that, but if i'm going to race a 600 or 750 true superbike (CBR600RR, R6, etc), i'd only hope that i could stay somewhere near it until we hit 120-130 when aerodynamics turn to my favor.

that, or we hit twisty roads where i have about a billion times bigger contact patch.....
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, that is what I mean by basic modded"

And of course off the line or 1/4 runs a bike would kill most any street cars. I am, and almost always everyone else in here, is referring to either a track on the twisties or a freeway, high speed run.

Well, I guess every bike I have ever run with on the interstate had terrible drivers

actually, that's probably true. lots of people have NO idea what they're getting into.

my friend bought a bike (yes, the bike i fell off of), CBR600 F3. not a retardedly fast bike by today's bike standards, but still a VERY fast machine. you could move the throttle half an inch, and the revs would be at 9k+ faster than you knew what was happening.

he bought this bike as his *first* bike. he's never ridden a motorcycle before, he didnt even consider getting something smaller (everyone in our circle recommended a Ninja 250R or something similar afterwards), and i'm so worried he's going to think that he can race it one day, because that thing is entirely too fast for most human beings...

anyway- yeah, i dont think anyone's arguing that anything less than a liter bike is going to hang with a high speed autobahn burner like a modded 951 or anything similar above 120-130. or that a 951 with some suspension mods cant hang with most sport bikes in the twisties, considering that most roads arent perfect, and have expansion joints, and "road snakes" all over the place.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Like said earlier...it all depends on the driver. 98% of the people riding are **** head squids with no skill or common sense. At high speed on the interstate I guess the aerodynamics would take over but on the twisties I believe a well trained rider would leave any modded 951 in the dust. I don't think people understand what a properly set up bike can really do in the right hands. Yes...less contact patch but almost a quarter of the weight. I don't know..argue on.

Cheers, Josh

on the triumph...got to love british bikes...I'm looking at a Sprint ST for a commuter.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yea, anything I have raced with was 600-750. 1000 are not even worth the gas to loose too
Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Yea, anything I have raced with was 600-750. 1000 are not even worth the gas to loose too

yeah, liter bikes....

why try?

lol.

on the inexperienced rider note- i knew of a guy with a highly powerful 3000GT VR4. raced a bike. bike lost. bike lost control and died. guy got charged with something or other, and i think he had some jail time and he's got his license revoked completely for the next 8 years or something like that.

anyway- if sport bikes werent so ridiculously deadly, i would totally hit one...

i might be getting a cruiser sometime in the future for riding to work and looking like the terminator

Quick Reply: Anyone ever get compliements from bikes??