Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fidenza or lightened stock flywheel?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fidenza or lightened stock flywheel?????

My car needs a new clutch, to get rid of that jingle-jangle after I switch the ignition off. I all ready have a new cup clutch and a new cup pressure plate. I was going to go with a lightened stock flywheel, but now am having second thoughts and would like some input/suggestions .....

Right now I believe I am just shy of 300rwhp. I have a Vitesse MAF kit waiting to go on (want to take care of the clutch first), and am planning on getting John's stage 2 turbo in a couple months (I have the Powerhaus K27 right now), but now am thinking about going with the stage 3. What I'm looking for is ~325-350 rwhp on pump gas, with the ability to crank up the boost on race gas (maybe up to ~400rwhp). I'm pretty much stock now, but will be going to a 3" exhaust somewhere in the near future.

Will a lightened stock flywheel, with the cup clutch/pressure plate handle this (say 400rwhp/tq), or should I go with the Fidenza? Has anyone used a stock clutch/pressure plate with a Fidenza flywheel?

Between family and other plans, I really only have time to do this once, so I want to do it right the first time. Please post away! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:58 PM
jacklet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a search tony g swore by the fidanza 930 disk and cup pressure plate i believe i think david floyd likes his set-up and he's making power i don'y know what st runs-i have the cup set-up and lightened flywheel really easy to drive
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Correction - I have the 930 disk & cup pressure plate. I've read thru a whole bunch of posts (seems like there was a bunch of talk on this about a month or so ago), and in the end was sort of confused about what to do. What I got out of the other posts was that the cup disk & pressure plate plus the stock flywheel was good for 300-350 rwhp. Bret (Ski) is running the 930 disk & pressure plate with a lightened stock flywheel and is putting down ~350 rwhp/tq. I'm wondering if this is good for 400 rwhp/tq?? Or if that's pushing things .....

I gather from other threads that the Fidenza (aluminum) will hold more torque than the stock (steel) flywheel?? Or is this not the case?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:08 AM
jacklet
Racer

from what i understand both set-ups the same the fidanza will hold more power while maintaining excellent driveability.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:30 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Slightly OT but related, when you have a heavy torque tube out the back to spin up does saving a few pounds on the flywheel make much difference?
I guess the TT has much less inertia as the mass is closer to centre of rotation but I am curious, is there a lot of difference between revving with clutch down/up
Tony
Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacklet
do a search tony g swore by the fidanza 930 disk and cup pressure plate i believe i think david floyd likes his set-up and he's making power i don'y know what st runs-i have the cup set-up and lightened flywheel really easy to drive

I have The Fidanza. I like it. Haven't had any mysterious aluminum "explosions" at 7500 revs yet......
You need a couple more revs to get going, but it pays off at higher engine speeds.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TonyG ran a cup clutch with the stock pressure plate and Fidenza flywheel on his last 951 (401whp)
Old 06-27-2006, 02:46 PM
jacklet
Racer

the driveshaft is really not that heavy
Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmm ... leaning towards the Fidenza, I guess. Can someone suggest a good/inexpensive source for the Fidenza?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

The "Cup" clutch is just the disc. The pressure plate in the "Cup" Clutch kit is the standard/stock 944T pressure plate.

If you need more clamping force to keep the disc from slipping, dont use the "cup" kit, since the only part that is upgraded is the clutch disc itself (it does not have the 7 small springs in the clutch hub, which are prone to failure).
Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 333 rwhp, use a centerforce clutch and had 7 lbs removed from the stock flywheel. This has been a good setup for me.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

I regret lightening my flywheel. It was nicer to drive with some more weight, especially when downshifting.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
dnwong
Pro

Newbie here. I have a 86 951 which needs a clutch real soon. Can someone tell me the advantages of using a 930 clutch kit. More gripping power? Is that solution better than using an centerforce clutch. Car is stock right now and I will probably do some minor power upgrades but not too crazy. Is the 930 kit a bolt on or is there modifications necessary? Will the 930 Clutch make the pedal feel softer or harder?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 AM
jacklet
Racer

Default EDIT

930 kit is basically a 930 disc with a sprung hub center and a a 944 t pressure plate it's bolt on will handle increased power assuming it's installed right-flywheel machined correctly clutch fork bearings are good etc clutch effort is the same. I have this set-up with a lightened flywheel no probs really easy to drive
I have heard of some bumping the idle up slightly to prevent a stalling issue when coming back to idle while using a lightened fly wheel-i didn't have to not sure of everyone else

Last edited by jacklet; 06-29-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:26 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me clear some things up..

I have a Fidanza Flywheel (6lbs, i weighed it), and the Cup clutch kit. As others have said, basiaclly all you are gettting is a upgraded disc with the stock 951 pressure plate.

The fidanza is a better choice due to the material the friction surface is made out of, it also helps hold more power coupled with the disc/pp.

I would dis-agree that it is easier to downshift with a heavier flywheel. Rev matched downshifts are childs play now, one blip of the throttle and its matched.

The drive-ability is exactly the same except its easier to rev-match downshifts. Like ST said, it does move your powerband. I don't hit full boost till 3500rpm's but that could be due to other issues as well. I guess that could be a downfall to some people but doesn't bother me.

If i had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.. the only thing I would of done was maybe move up to a Aluminum PP as well.

EDIT: I've read the cup clutch will handle 400+ rwhp.. and Tony G can confirm this. I beleive ST is using a diffrent disc and PP.

Quick Reply: Fidenza or lightened stock flywheel?????