Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Glad I looked under the hood...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad I looked under the hood...

OK, so I was about to head back from Waco to Fort Worth this afternoon and decided to check under the hood of my car for no real reason, just to check vac lines, plug wires, whatever and honestly this is not something I do very often. Upon inspection I saw a bit of seepage coming out of the #4 injector. There wasn't a puddle of fuel or even a whole lot there, but it was visible and enough to make me not want to risk an engine fire that could destroy the car I've only had for ~3 weeks now so I had the car towed home.

I just got back home a few minutes ago so now I'm writing this. I guess I need to pull out the injectors and send them to Witchhunter or some other similar service. My question to yall is, is that all I need to do? Obviously fuel leaking from anywhere is a bad thing so I just want to make sure that that is all I need to do. The fuel lines have been replaced, so do I just need to send the injectors to be serviced or should I do anything else while I'm in there?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:41 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A few fuel rails have failed, small cracks. Make sure you are positive it is the injector. As long as it is the injector, it will be fixed in the rebuilds.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:56 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Is it just the injector seals? You can reseal injectors yourself with a kit like on Rennbay.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:12 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's worth it to send it to Witchhunter. They replace the seals and hats and clean them and provide you before and after flow rate test data. $60 for 4 injectors and that includes express shipping back. 4 days start to finish for me.
Attached Images    
Old 06-26-2006, 12:21 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

While I could go with the reseal kit, I think the extra cost for the cleaning and flow testing would be worth the cost; I have yet to pull the rail, which I will do tomorrow after work, but I'm fairly certain from looking at it that it is just the injector seals; it doesn't look like a drip from the rail itself, but I will definately check it and all the other components in the area to be certain

thanks for the tips guys
Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately check the fuel rail closely. I have seen one leak down the injector before making it look like it was the injector leaking. I never could find the crack in the rail it was so small, just the general area.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:57 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Yes, the extra expense of the cleaning and flow testing will be worth it if you plan to stay with those injectors for awhile. If you plan to up the boost and need bigger injectors anyway, may not be worth it to get them cleaned and tested. Especially if they flow test poorly and you have to replace them anyway.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:03 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Mine was leaking in the exact same place... #4. It was because the rear mounting bolt hole in the intake was somewhat stripped. So, I tapped the intake to the next size bigger hole, and put studs in the intake. Now the fuel rail seals well!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:35 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an important point tthat I never see mentioned.

You MUST put the rail down SQUARELY - that is, if you pop on 1 and 2, then pop on 3 and 4, you will chaffe the outside of the top seals and it will leak.
Keep the rail parallel to the cam tower.

Quick Reply: Glad I looked under the hood...