Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

125 degrees today!!!!!! OT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 125 degrees today!!!!!! OT

Unbelievable!!! It got up to 125 degrees in Death Valley today (not far from Vegas). It got to 123 today in Vegas as posted on the various bank signs and in my car. People are complaining that the glue in the interiors of their cars is dripping out of it's intended place onto their carpets! They are carrying gloves around to be able to open their doors of their cars without burning their hands!

Heat advisories are in effect, people that are outside are walking with open umbrellas to shade themselves. It's crazy. Everywhere you go, people that are outside are frowning. Remember any time you are cooking something in the oven, you open the oven to take out the food and the blast of heat that comes out of the oven makes your eyes hurt? That's what it's like to just walk around out here. It's so hot that the heat bothers your eyes to be open so you squint! And people freak out because I don't have any antifreeze in my Porsche. It's nuts out here.

Even now, at 12:30 am, I want to take out my car. It's just under 100 degrees and you can still feel the heat coming off of the ground as if the actual earth just came out of the oven. I actually think I'm going to leave the car in the garage tonight. Not that it can't handle the heat, I don't think I can...
Old 06-25-2006, 05:24 AM
five-o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how that is man. When I was deployed to Kuwait years ago it was July and the temp was 134 deg. on the hottest day-and the aircraft ramp was 151 (measure from a few inches off the concrete). It literally burned your feet through the boots as you walked in the sand. And yeah it feels like an oven blast when you walk outside. Summer has got to suck in Vegas in the daytime. Tuscon is where I was based and it gets damn hot there too but not like that.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

My parents are in Vegas now. Apearently they are suffering thourhg 125* while I have a Keg and a bunch of people here... sucks.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah Joe, but its a DRY heat.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by five-o
I know how that is man. When I was deployed to Kuwait years ago it was July and the temp was 134 deg. on the hottest day-and the aircraft ramp was 151 (measure from a few inches off the concrete). It literally burned your feet through the boots as you walked in the sand. And yeah it feels like an oven blast when you walk outside. Summer has got to suck in Vegas in the daytime. Tuscon is where I was based and it gets damn hot there too but not like that.
It's hitting 130 degrees in the Al Anbar province of Western Iraq right now and it will be for months.

Imagine wearing a thick Kevlar vest with two steel plates on top of that front and back. Then throw on a helmet and 60 lbs more of various sundry crap that you don't dare take off. Gloves are manditory because your weapon, if left in the sun becomes too hot to touch.

Not a single drop of rain will fall till at least October if not later. Usually December or so.

The military is now shiftting from vehicle patrols to foot mounted patrols to reduce the number of IED attacks...

Water is consumed in the gallons.

Here is a small known fact, 60% of all cargo carried in convys on the roads of Iraq is water...

The heat numbs your mind after a while. Strange thing is when it drops down to 70 at night, you shiver.

Yeah Vegas is hot and I imagine that the humidity there is being artifically driven up as well from all the landscaping and pools as well.

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 06-25-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Got Boost?
Intermediate

It was very nice with a cool ocean breeze and a little bit of marine layer along the California coast yesterday for me. . . About 70-75. Perfect day to get a little work done outside. My neighbor had to go to Irwindale early in the morning and returned around 11:00am complaining that it was unbearably hot up that way. I'm so glad I live on the coast. . . Makes the extra price worth it just to have the nice ocean breeze on days like that.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to my world, add 90+% of humidity is very normal here every summer.

It is over 100F at 9:00am
Old 06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Welcome to my world, add 90+% of humidity is very normal here every summer.

It is over 100F at 9:00am
You guys along with Bahrain get that insane humidity. It saps ya of all will to work out in it.

The windward side of Oahu calls my name....

IPSC
Old 06-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSC
It's hitting 130 degrees in the Al Anbar province of Western Iraq right now and it will be for months.

Imagine wearing a thick Kevlar vest with two steel plates on top of that front and back. Then throw on a helmet and 60 lbs more of various sundry crap that you don't dare take off. Gloves are manditory because your weapon, if left in the sun becomes too hot to touch.

Not a single drop of rain will fall till at least October if not later. Usually December or so.

The military is now shiftting from vehicle patrols to foot mounted patrols to reduce the number of IED attacks...

Water is consumed in the gallons.

Here is a small known fact, 60% of all cargo carried in convys on the roads of Iraq is water...

The heat numbs your mind after a while. Strange thing is when it drops down to 70 at night, you shiver.

Yeah Vegas is hot and I imagine that the humidity there is being artifically driven up as well from all the landscaping and pools as well.

IPSC

Tell me about it, I was in TQ for 7 months last year, and will be again. We only saw the tail end of the summer heat, but man was it killer. Just riding to the flight line in the back of our high back up armored hummer felt like an oven...but on the flip side, the winters can get COOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD! I remember having at least 4 layers on...two skivvy shirts, a sweater, my blouse, and a jacket...and it was still cold!

-Darwin
Old 06-25-2006, 07:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe...
I hate to break it to you, but it was ONLY 110 F yesterday(Saturday) in Las Vegas. 110F today Sunday (Right now I see 110F). Due to humidity it feels like 102F. Forcast high of 112F

In Phoenix we have hit 112F+ a couple days this month. Today is 109F and feels like 105F. Yesterday it was 108F. Forcast high of 113F.

Hmm days over 110 in Las Vegas this year.

1 - June 24th - 110F

Days UNDER 100F in Las Vegas
9 - days (low was 89F) on June 14th

Days over 110 in Phoenix is year
5 days - June 2,3,4 June 13, June 23. High 112F

Days Under 100F in June
0 - yes that is right NONE!
Lowest high was 101F on June 15th.

Yes it is hot, but Phoenix is still hotter.

Phoenix earns the title as the hottest MAJOR city in the US! Yippie!

PS.. thank god for the heat otherwise a 2000SqFT house would cost 1 millon here. Leave that to So-Cal!

Of course Death Valley is hotter still, but no body really lives there anyway.
As for Iraq, Kuwait and the rest of the mid-east. Well I am just happy I am not there.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I read 111 degrees in the garage an hour ago, needless to say not much got accomplished today....
Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

During winter, we sometimes hit -40 with wind-chill. During the summer (today for instance) it reaches 95 and higher!

Some of yous only have to deal with one extreme… Weaklings!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive always wanted to drop an egg on blacktop in a place like that. Id like to see if it really cooks it. Mebbe we can cook an egg on the hood of your car since it is black.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:29 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Since we have HIGH humidity here it really makes it feel not just hotter but more uncomfortable.

Just walk to get your mail from the mailbox and you break out in a sweat.

We are, in the summer, usually 100-110 with the heat index; i.e. the humidity taken into account of how hot is "feels". The news always says 94, 95, 96, etc. but that is in the shade. The Banks almost always are over 100 in the readings. Of course, that is not with the humidity.

I was at Ft. Huachuca, AZ for about 4 months during the summer and it got hot, but the low humidity really does make a difference.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hate high temps + high humidity. In LA it was as hot as it gets in NY but no humiditiy...felt awesome

Quick Reply: 125 degrees today!!!!!! OT