125 degrees today!!!!!! OT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:57 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
During winter, we sometimes hit -40 with wind-chill. During the summer (today for instance) it reaches 95 and higher!

Some of yous only have to deal with one extreme… Weaklings!
WOW! Didn't realize it got that hot up there.

Dealing with the heat and a turbo car has made me an expert on ways to get heat OUT of the motor/intake.

The car is noticably more sluggish in the summer months compared to cooler temps.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:33 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about 2 hours West of Joe, as the crow flies (pretty much the middle of the Mojave desert). It was 115+ last Friday. When the wife and kids got in the minivan at 8PM that evening, the inside thermometer read 135. It's so bright here during the day that you HAVE to wear shades, or your eyes will start tearing up. I had to change out a power window assy on my truck last year in this heat ... that (3 year old) sealer goop that holds the plastic sheet on the door got ALL over the place - still cleaning it up. What a mess. I was in the garage last night at 11PM, and my very precise digital thermometer read 95.5 degrees - it was warmer outside when I opened up the garage door. I'm scheming on a way to cool off the garage so I can get a new clutch on the 951 - gonna be forced to hang an old ceiling fan and probably rig up some sort of swampcooler setup (blower + mister). Miserably hot, and definitely a noticeable sluggishness with the Porsche. Oh, and Rock - our city always used to (still does I believe) have a day where the locals go down to McDonalds to cook eggs on the blacktop. Yes, they really do cook. Y'all keep cool out!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
WOW! Didn't realize it got that hot up there.

Dealing with the heat and a turbo car has made me an expert on ways to get heat OUT of the motor/intake.

The car is noticably more sluggish in the summer months compared to cooler temps.

Getting heat out of the Car is always a good thing. It seems like all Turbo cars are hotter than Nuclear Power plants.

So what are some of your fav cooling tricks?

IPSC
Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

toddk911 - please post any tips/tricks/ideas on getting heat out. Thanks!!! (maybe on a new thread, so we don't hijack Joe's).
Old 06-26-2006, 01:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I'm about 2 hours West of Joe, as the crow flies (pretty much the middle of the Mojave desert). It was 115+ last Friday.
Places like that make me happy I live in nice cool Phoenix.

PS... what city/town is this?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

All I know it that at 11:30 GMT+1 hour in Kiserslautern Germany I got in my Black 951 with and all leather black interior, and it felt like 150,000 degrees. I am still sweeting thinking about that experince. Then I hit the AC button and the belts are screaming. I am thinking to myself yea I would be screaming too with all the heat in there. Driving On!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well, just a LOT of research and spit ball ideas.

The most being water/meth injection. From all the research this path seems to offer the most reward with the least amount of cost. As I read time and time again from others that are using "it's like driving all the time at 40 degrees out"

I looked into getting "cooled" or a coooling source to the IC pipes and intake manaifold.

Wrapping/Ceramic coating all of the hot parts under the hood.

Fuel coolers; much like an oil cooler for the fuel lines.

Vents in the hood, additional fans hooked up to draw more ambient air in and get that air back out.

But again, no path will yield better cooling effects than WI. In my opinion. I mean, if it came down to a splitter IC panel or WI......

Every 15 degree drop of intake temps (intake not ambient) allows or yields 1 psi of boost. Not to mention the increased response to cooler charge air.

Sorry Joe! for that quick OT post.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe P, you brought up a good point. It only registered 110 but that's ambient temp. Also the news station said they get their temps elevated, sometimes up on a tower. The temp is MUCH warmer coming off of pavement or rock. Thus all the bank signs and my car showing over 120. This was on the news. Some reported over 130 degrees. It's nuts. That said, Phoenix is always an average of 10 degrees warmer than Vegas. I go there all the time. I was there last summer and it was ambient 121. I almost couldn't get my eyes to open. So all the **** I talk about the heat and you're even warmer than we are. Stay cool. Joe
Old 06-26-2006, 11:33 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Joe P - I live in Ridgecrest, CA, which shares the same zip code with the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center (yup, that's right, a Navy base in the middle of the desert).

Joe C - thanks for the fun OT thread. It definitely helps deal with this insane heat!!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
sww914
Instructor

OK, so I'm a di*k, but here in Los Osos, Ca., the summer highs are usually 60's or 70's, winter lows are usually 40's or 50's, no smog, no traffic, little crime.
However, only 15% of the native population makes enough to buy a house.
So, It never gets hot, it never gets cold, you never have enough money.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:17 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they just said on the local news that the all time official record high for Phoenix was 16 years ago today. It was 122 degrees at the airport and I'm pretty sure that was the day they held up outbound flights because the pilots charts didn't go up to 122 degrees.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sww914
OK, so I'm a di*k, but here in Los Osos, Ca., the summer highs are usually 60's or 70's, winter lows are usually 40's or 50's, no smog, no traffic, little crime.
However, only 15% of the native population makes enough to buy a house.
So, It never gets hot, it never gets cold, you never have enough money.
How close is that to Santa Barbara?

I have a long time friend that lives in SB and he is always talking **** about how perfect the weather is.

Of course, then I tell him that I pay 2.89 for high test gasoline and under 200K for a nice house and he could not get a 2 bedroom house for under a Half Million
Old 06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Joe P - I live in Ridgecrest, CA, which shares the same zip code with the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center (yup, that's right, a Navy base in the middle of the desert).
Yep that is officially in the middle of no where!

Quick Reply: 125 degrees today!!!!!! OT