Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone know where I can get hollow torsion bars....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know where I can get hollow torsion bars....?

I am referring to effective rate- 28mm hollow is really ~29.4mm(?) actual diameter. They do not make hollow T-bars in these ranges anymore- - they haven't made 28's in a long time, which is sort of strange IMO, since it's such a common size... But, they were around for so long that I think there would have to be some sitting on a shelf somewhere... Oh well... I kind of need to get on this fairly quick, so am X-posting in the main board Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 AM
chilibluepepper
Racer

Have you checked with Sway-A-Way? I just recently called them to get the effective spring rate for the torsion bars that came in my car, which happen to be exactly what you described? Out of curiosity, why are you looking for this particular set-up over 28mm solid, or even bigger bar? I am tempted to offer my set if you can't find a new set. My rear suspension is currently out, and I am inclined to upgrade to something bigger.

Last edited by chilibluepepper; 06-15-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:54 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check www.paragon-products.com. I know they sell hollow bars.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my 28mm T-Bars from Paragon. When I ordered, I also asked for hollow. Paragon said that they were not available. The solid bars Paragon sent were Sway Away.

Last edited by Bill; 06-16-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

All of these places, including Sway-A-Way, have said that hollows are not made anymore...

I want hollow b/c they are ~1/3 lighter. It's only a couple of pounds, but I don't intend to change my suspension once I get it done & I know that T-bars are sort of a bitch to exchange, so I don't mind spending the extra $100 - $150 on a pair, just to do one time... Also have been told that ride quality is slightly better (if noticeable at all?) w/hollows... ALSO, Windward told me that hollow's were pretty bad, so they must be much better...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex- sorry, I missed the last part of your note. I very well might be interested in your used 28 hollows... I'm sending a PM in a minute. It just depends on how used, etc...?

To anyone interested- I do have some brand new, never installed/used, etc, 27mm solid T-bars that will be for sale soon- I'm only waiting till I get registered w/ebayto put them up w/many other items (many non-car items)- the 27's should be a touch under the rate of my 25.5mm + 100lb helpers, which is what I ended up going too, unfortunately- never again will I run springs in the rear on a street car- in the end, however, it might have been good that I didn't replace T-bars since I want slightly stiffer- the rear feels great now, but I need a slightly better match to my 275lb fronts.

Quick Reply: Anyone know where I can get hollow torsion bars....?