Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

High idling rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:48 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idling rpm

Well my idle after I've been driving is still high. Usually at a light or something it stops at 1500, but today after spirited driving it stayed at 2000. I sprayed the spring on the throttle assembly with lube but it didn't help.

If I get out and open the hood while thee idle is high, I can move the throttle back down (barely noticable movement) and the idle will be normal. Blipping the gas at a light will also correct it. Obviously something mechanical is sticking.

Is this most likely a senser or throttle body adjustment? Car does have venturi delete, I don't know if tampering with the idle stabilizer valve would have anything to do with it.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adjust your TPS. It's supposed to click when the throttle barely opens and when it closes. The click is the idle switch. If it doesn't click then your DME will not know it's at idle and keep the revs higher.

This has also been talked about many times already. The search feature should have given you this answer quickly.

Good luck!

Dal.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

could also be that your throttle cable needs adjusting. There should be the slightest amount of slack in the cable at idle so the spring can close the butterfly and the TPS will click off.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:32 PM
silverbullet
Pro

I played with the throttle adjustment and reset it so that it clicks when opening and closing, and sprayed some PB Blaster into the Idle Stabilizer Valve for good measure. The problem seems to be gone for now, so we shall see if it pops up again. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: High idling rpm