Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Poorly fitting crossover- problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poorly fitting crossover- problems?

I puchased a crossover from ebay that is clean and crack free to replace a pipe that cracked and had been welded, and then broke in a different location.

I'm assuming the second break was due to poor fitment of the old pipe because the crack was so huge the pipe distorted slightly once welded.

I have a new dilema- the pipe I purchased does not line up with the flange on the turbo unless I drive a punch through the bolt holes on the flanges, and it still scarcely clears. I'm afraid that if I force it and bolt it up it will just crack yet again and cost me more money, labor, and personal injury.

I've never had a 951 turbocharger out, would removing it allow me to shift it enough to properly fit the pipe, or am I looking at some expensive exhaust work?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo will not budge to give more clearance. How bad is it. I had to do a bit of prying on my to4b setup. Try leaving all the other connections on the cross-over loose and then fit. If you didn't try that already.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:09 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

the last time I put my crossover pipe back on, it didn't fit worth a **** so I had to play musical bolts between the turbo and headers. I used a pry bar with a screwdriver to line up holes, it did take a while, but I finally got it on. Just make sure you have all the bolts started before tightening them.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Man, "musical bolts" is a great way of describing a lot of repair on the 951. If you guys haven't had a problem with a forced fit then I'm going to assume that perhaps it was the condition of the previous pipe coupled with lean running and bad motor mounts that led to the prior cracking.

Large pipe and prybar here we go...
Old 06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Be sure to loosen the cross-over to header bolts too for extra room. I think everyone has to pry a little -- at least aligning the holes using a scredriver as a lever.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

The pipe is actually completely free of the header; removing those bolts again was the first thing I did...The clearance issue appears to be at the bottom of the motor. Anyhoo, I'm out to tear myself up.

Quick Reply: Poorly fitting crossover- problems?