Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have a website?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Opeth
Pro

Question

... we speak your names.

Tim , who's stealing your market share? I had always thought you guys had things that were unique for the cars compared to Lindsey and Vitesse ... (see headers). Inquiring minds want to know!!!

(I dont think Im the only one!)
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM
devgriff
Advanced

I posted the picture of my friend's 16v header built by David Chen. Therefore, I will respond to TurboTim critique of David Chen's header:

Quote:
"If you look close at those headers, the number four bend is cheated which is bad for flow and the collector is not really a collector,it is more like an expanded pipe that was shaped around the runners."

The number four bend may or may not be cheated, and the collector may or may not be a collector.

However, a functional 304 SS header, and at half the price of a SFR header were more compelling factors in my friend's decision to purchase David Chen's header than the points you mentioned in your critique.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Opeth
... we speak your names.

Tim , who's stealing your market share? I had always thought you guys had things that were unique for the cars compared to Lindsey and Vitesse ... (see headers). Inquiring minds want to know!!!

(I dont think Im the only one!)

I didnt use the word stealing because that is not what is happening so I will just leave it at that.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by devgriff
I posted the picture of my friend's 16v header built by David Chen. Therefore, I will respond to TurboTim critique of David Chen's header:

Quote:
"If you look close at those headers, the number four bend is cheated which is bad for flow and the collector is not really a collector,it is more like an expanded pipe that was shaped around the runners."

The number four bend may or may not be cheated, and the collector may or may not be a collector.

However, a functional 304 SS header, and at half the price of a SFR header were more compelling factors in my friend's decision to purchase David Chen's header than the points you mentioned in your critique.

Functioning is the key word and when you reduce the flow on the number four runner then it is not functioning as it should which may or may not be detremental to performance.I was only trying to point out some key differences between a header that is mass produced vs. one that was a one off.The first stage 2 header we built was not as good as they are now.We learned alot during the process and we learned how to make it better.Since we have made over 50 of them now,we know how to build them efficiently and rather quickly.We would have dropped the price on them so it would appeal to more customers but the whole Chinese purchasing tremendous amounts of US steel has caused our suppliers to impose a weekly surcharge which varies from week to week.So basically it costs us more to build these now but we are eating it and keeping the prices where they have been for the last 4 years.

Tim
Old 06-14-2006, 06:49 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

hey tim, does your headers fit on a right hand drive 951, being that the steering shaft may be in the way?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:28 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by JET951
hey tim, does your headers fit on a right hand drive 951, being that the steering shaft may be in the way?
We are not sure since we have not sold any that we know of for the RHD cars.Do you have a picture of what the stock headers look like or a shot of the engine bay?

Tim
Old 06-14-2006, 09:22 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Tim's header/crossover.
It is awesome.
Picked up big HP with them - tested on dyno.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
I use Tim's header/crossover.
It is awesome.
Picked up big HP with them - tested on dyno.
Can you quantify the increase? Any changes to the boost point?

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 06-15-2006, 01:16 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...

This is what will kill what's left of the 951 market.

There's no reason to R&D, perfect a design, then someone comes up, smack-dab in your face, and produces a "knock-off" version of the real deal. (and... it's a knock-off at best).

You get what you pay for.

TonyG
Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
Wow...

This is what will kill what's left of the 951 market.

There's no reason to R&D, perfect a design, then someone comes up, smack-dab in your face, and produces a "knock-off" version of the real deal. (and... it's a knock-off at best).

You get what you pay for.

TonyG
IMO, any market is ALWAYS going to have this whether everyone likes it or not. For a majority of people I think quality, customer service, and results really sell the product. Even if Craigs makes those headers and sells them for several hundred less I would still go with SFR (no offense Craigs) as they've made appearances in a few magazines (Euro Car, Turbo Magazine), they're quality products and I've always received great service from Tim. IMHO, it's the resistance to change and new ideas that has stagnated and restricted the 951 market. I say let people produce knockoff's. 9 times out of 10 they are less quality then the original, but at least our damn market will grow! I don't know about you guys but, it's getting real old having to choose from the "big 3" (LR, VR, SFR..no offense, you guys all rule but I want more variety ) for almost every mod. Okay, there are some other companies out there, but not that many.

Quick Reply: 944/951 Turbo Header