Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:06 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of questions

Just got a couple simple questions

1) Should the FPR (adjustable, stock or 3bar) hold vacuum, and when it does, should it loose vacuum immediately when one stops applying vacuum or holds vacuum for a little while (using a hand vacuum pump).

2) The oil dipstick tube sits lower than the mounting on the intake, all i can see is a red o-ring in the oil pan, should there be a spacer there? LR website indicates that there should be a spacer.

If the spacer is needed (which i think mine fell off), how is the orientation from the oil pan to the oil dipstick tube? example, should it be o-ring, spacer then tube, or spacer then o-ring and tube?

TIA
Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

1. It should hold vacuum. Once vacuum is applied, it should hold it until the vacuum is released. You should not have to keep pumping for example, once it has a vacuum.

2. Careful with dipsticks. There are at least a couple lengths. Are you sure you have the right one?

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Just got a couple simple questions

1) Should the FPR (adjustable, stock or 3bar) hold vacuum, and when it does, should it loose vacuum immediately when one stops applying vacuum or holds vacuum for a little while (using a hand vacuum pump).

2) The oil dipstick tube sits lower than the mounting on the intake, all i can see is a red o-ring in the oil pan, should there be a spacer there? LR website indicates that there should be a spacer.

If the spacer is needed (which i think mine fell off), how is the orientation from the oil pan to the oil dipstick tube? example, should it be o-ring, spacer then tube, or spacer then o-ring and tube?

TIA
Old 06-03-2006, 02:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom, mine does not hold vacuum.

As for the dipstick tubes, were there several lengths as well for 86 models? when the oil pan gasket was replaced, i purchased the o-ring and spacer and replaced them as well. But now, since i removed the intake, the dipstick sits lower than the mounting point on the intake and i do not see the spacer.

The shop was the one who replaced the oil pan gasket, and no one informed me if they used the spacer or not. But now, i believe mine fell off, since the dipstick sits lower now than before.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Sounds like it's time to change the FPR. Don't delay -- it can be a fire hazard too.

Pet shows an engine number split for the dipstick tubes -- and shows a spacer in the parts list but not in the illustration? Can't quite make sense of it, sorry. My 86 has no spacer.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom

Whenever you can (not now), if you have the dipstick tube off, send me a pic please? I understood that some models came with a metal spacer welded, which eliminates the use of the plastick spacer.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Hos, not sure i you can tell from this pic, but I looked at where the tube plugs in -- it flares out at the bottom and sits directly in the recess -- no spacer. I'll try to remember to take a pic net time its out.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2006, 01:17 AM
RRRandy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 86 turbo dipstick has no spacer. I just had the intake off and it went back on the same way...a snug fit.

Randy

Quick Reply: Couple of questions