Speedline wheels to be refinished need advice please- X Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 01:53 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Speedline wheels to be refinished need advice please- X Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...87#post3105987
Hi Guys

I just picked up a set of 3 pic.generic speedline wheels (see pic)
I was going to have them re-done. As one can see from the picture the area around the bolts are somewhat discolored or pitted ..
I have about 10 question regarding these wheels so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.
1- I have read that when these wheels are refinished it is advised to change out all the bolts .At 4 bucks a piece
b) I was wondering if it is necessary ?
c) and if there is another source that one can get these cheaper ?
2 - Is there and inner seal on these wheels ?
b) and if so, does that have to be replaced as well ?
3- I was considering getting the wheels done outside and the putting them back together myself to save on the labor
( was quoted 1k to have them done, i.e. polished and assembled )
b) Is this something that a pretty handy person can do?
4- Is there a write up, on this somewhere ? I did a search and came up with squat...
5- Are these bolts made of titanium ?
6- What is the torque setting for these bolts ?
7- I have been told that the the area around the bolts commonly pit like mine in the picture, because of water ... Is this true ?
a) and if so, why ?
b) What is really pitting the coating ( clear ?) or the metal.
c) Is this because of the different metal used in the bolts vs the wheel ?
8- I wanted to have the centers highly polished as well. They are painted silver now and my car is a diff. sliver ( silber rosa) Is this possible?
b) and are there any negatives to doing this?
9- I was then planning on having it powder coated clear ( I was told by the wheel refinished that this is a very durable finish ( Is that opposed to the clear that was on the stock wheels ) ?
10 - And finally, does anybody know a really good shrink in my neck of the woods 'cause I am F$#%ing nuts buying these.....
This is my 4th set of wheels ... and the car is still on jack stands going on 18 months and counting ....
Thanks in advance for all your help
Regards
Ed
Edit I forgot to ask what are the specs on these bolts ?
ie are they M7's x 40mm or a 8mm Spline bolts and where should one get a tool for the heads of these bolts
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:45 AM
Andy
Instructor

I'm in the same boat as you so I'm glad you asked. I have Kinesis Supercups that used to be on the a racecar so they're in sorry shape. But at least they match my car... One of these days I'd really like to redo them. please let me know how you make out.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:32 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

You might try asking on the Turbo944.com board. The guys at Lindsey Racing also run Wheel Connection, a wheel repair and refinishing shop in OKC.
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:01 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I forget where I saw it but there was an article, I think in a magazine about refurbishing the speedline wheels. Like you noted they mentioned the need to replace the bolts for the wheels. It seemed to me that they did everything themselves if I recall. I will look around and see if I have the article somewhere.
Old 05-31-2006 | 04:13 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys
RKD in OKC
potent951turbo86
I really appreciate the info I really have a hard time believing that there is such a lack of info on this subject ??
I did a Google as well as Rennlist search and came up ( at least the first 4 pages ) with squat !
Kind regards
Ed
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:02 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Whoa, you are looking too far into this. I have the same wheels in Kinesis Motorsports. If they are aluminum and are not leaking air and have never been tampered with like loosening, just have them polished and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Speedline wheels to be refinished need advice please- X Post