Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just got my car appraised...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
No offense but I think the guy can talk for himself.

If you're going to talk ****, you should know what you're talking about. Quit being a hater and talking down about people's cars you have no knowledge of.

Of course he can speak for himself, you can also: LINK
Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, read the posts. Ninefiveone is absolutely correct on all accounts exept for one.

Last year I got a high bid of $26,000. Stock market had a ton to do with that at that time. I had no idea that it would effect us so much. It was a buyers market for sure.

Year before it got $46,000 high. Didn't take it.

I did give it to charity a few years ago and they didn't sell enough tickets to make the raffle worthwhile.

I've had two offers who tried to buy the car at $60,000 and one at $65,000. No one could get financing for the car as I didn't have an appraisal for it. Again, the car was appraised for true market value, not insurance reasons. That's what it's worth. Thing is it's only worth what someone will pay for it. I'm planning on doing more with it in the future. I'm pushing so hard cause I really believe our cars are special. Porsche's underdog. Ehall was right when he said we should do all we can to help our cars raise in value. The 914's did it and still are. Now that all P-cars are watercooled, it's only a matter of time. I'm just helping to push the envelope.

Yes, I love my car, but there are people out there who do as well, and I believe if I ever sell it, I'll find that person. Wish me luck as it will effect all our values. For now, I'm keeping her.

Oh, the splitter is from AIR. Here's pic with a teaser on the paint. Damn mountains look like a mural. Also, I should note it was 117 degrees that day. a bit hazy and still came out pretty clear...
Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
If you're going to talk ****, you should know what you're talking about. Quit being a hater and talking down about people's cars you have no knowledge of.

Dude, seriously what is your malfunction?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
I've had two offers who tried to buy the car at $60,000 and one at $65,000. No one could get financing for the car as I didn't have an appraisal for it. Again, the car was appraised for true market value, not insurance reasons. That's what it's worth. Thing is it's only worth what someone will pay for it. I'm planning on doing more with it in the future. I'm pushing so hard cause I really believe our cars are special. Porsche's underdog. Ehall was right when he said we should do all we can to help our cars raise in value. The 914's did it and still are. Now that all P-cars are watercooled, it's only a matter of time. I'm just helping to push the envelope.
Cool, evidently I have underestimated the Porsche market to a degree. I think it's also good that you are looking out for the greater good of others.

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Oh, the splitter is from AIR. Here's pic with a teaser on the paint. Damn mountains look like a mural. Also, I should note it was 117 degrees that day. a bit hazy and still came out pretty clear...
Nice, the splitter looks very OEM. I like it alot.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 AM
fourside
Instructor

DFASTEST, good luck with whatever you do (I mean it). I think it may be hard to ever find someone that will go that high, but anything is possible. Your car DOES stand out.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streckfu's951

Dude, take it easy. I'm sure there is someone out there that would eventually pay $60k for his car. Heck, an acquaintence of mine once said that a Japanese businessman walked up to him at a car show and offered him $90k for his lowrider! There is almost always a buyer out there for any product. Though, when was the last time you saw someone pay over ~$30-40k for a 951, seriously?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
Cool, evidently I have underestimated the Porsche market to a degree. I think it's also good that you are looking out for the greater good of others.
I've been telling you this for how long, and you just now get it! j/k
Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Best of luck.
I must admit I will be surprised if it goes that high.....
I have only known of one other 951 that was in that $ range to build. It is an all glass race prepped 951... I can't even begin to list the specs.. but almost nothing whatsoever is factory. Is 450HP weighing in at 2600lbs...... ****IN YIKES!!!

I also find it unlikely that the sale of such a heavily modded car wil increase the value of my very nice, but nearly stock 951....... but couldn't hurt
Old 05-26-2006, 03:24 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. As of now I only got the appraisal as I am shopping for insurance and needed one. If I decide to sell again, the appraisal can't hurt.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

It's very surprising that anyone consisdering the purchase of a highly modified used car is looking to finance it. That falls very firmly under the category of toy and people looking to buy $60K used toys rarely finance. If they do finance, they have lines of credit to draw upon which require no assessment of value.

I'd love to know what bank would ever considering providing such substantial financing for a used (but very nice) car. That's a handy bank to have.

Daniel, I'm sorry you take all this discussion about someone else's car so personally. I understand your point and it's a great thought. I think the reality is substantially different, however. In the end, there's no need to get worked up.

If you're right it doesn't matter what anyone says. I can promise you that the ranting and ravings of people on an internet board will not mean a thing to the person assessing "real" value of this car. I'd love it if I could say that a Ferrari 360 was a pile of junk and drive their values down.

If you're wrong, calling people names and getting angry won't make you right either. In the end we're talking about dfastest's car and he's managed to not only be civil, but really very courteous. Why? I'll guess that he has confidence in what he's doing and what he believes. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else says. For him... value really is set by the owner. Of course, he also has the benefit of not actually needing to sell the car.

But if you feel that "community" means people only saying what you want to hear rather than an honest discussion of the facts, than you really need to reconsider all those thoughtful quotes in your sig.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:04 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I guess my malfunction is that I have a low tolerance for kids that prefer to shout before they even know what they are shouting about. If Drifto had done a brief search of what was involved with DFASTEST's car, I would have been OK with him calling into to question the value. Or even if owned a 951, therefore, being familiar with the recent market trends and could recognize the positive impact his appraisal would have on all 951 owners.

ninefiveone,
Sorry about that as I shouldn't have jumped on your case. I just read into your statement that you were discounting anything DFASTEST wrote because of the way the raffle didn't work out.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

The company I was thinking of is www.grundy.com They offer agreed value, no model year restriction, and no milage limits. I'm sure there are others out there as well, and I have no exerience with Grundy, etc., etc.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just called Grundy. They will not offer a policy for Porsche, Corvette, or Ferrari's that are newer than 1970. Too much risk is the reason.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

From all the comments on here I guess I should be happy with the $60,000 appraisal. That's not an insurance appraisal. That's actual market value from a collector car company. I'm keeping it for now anyway. I hope we all see our cars rise in value. I think we will.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
Just called Grundy. They will not offer a policy for Porsche, Corvette, or Ferrari's that are newer than 1970. Too much risk is the reason.
That bites. I guess truth in advertising laws don't apply to insurance companies. From their website:

"Agreed Value (not like standard insurance companies who depreciate your car's value).
No Model Year Limitation
Highest Liability Limits
Automatic Coverage for (30) days on newly acquired collector cars
Unlimited Mileage "

Quick Reply: Just got my car appraised...