Almost There

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Almost There

I spent a little more time on my engine disassembly tonight, and I am almost there. Everything is off except removing all the pistons and the girdle, oil pump, pickup tube, and crank. I got all the pilot bearing and everything else off the front and the oil pan.

There is a procedure for the oil pump disassembly on clarks-garage. I will go ahead and do that first. Unfortunately I left my "factor service manuals" back @ school.

I removed the rod bearings and I also removed what I would assume is some sort of oil return.

I was wondering if there was anything special I need to be aware of when I am removing the oil pickup tube? What should I be careful about.

Also, a really dumb question, can the pistons come out the top?

Lastly, when I unbolt the girdle, I will be able to remove the crank that way, correct?

I haven't damaged anything yet, so now would not be a good time to start.

Thanks Guys. Without rennlist I would have never been able to do my engine removal and will not be able to complete my engine rebuild. I'll make sure and take photos of my engine parts in the dorm room where I am staying this summer. I have never removed an engine nor diassembled one before, so I guess this was a good place to start.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:00 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pistons out the topside. Unbolt the girdle and lift out the crank. Just watch the rod bolts on the crank journals.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Cool. Just about done. Taking a break 'cause it is warm in the garage. Everything is going well and I'll have pictures of my internal parts later tonight.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I suggest

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
I spent a little more time on my engine disassembly tonight, and I am almost there. Everything is off except removing all the pistons and the girdle, oil pump, pickup tube, and crank. I got all the pilot bearing and everything else off the front and the oil pan.

There is a procedure for the oil pump disassembly on clarks-garage. I will go ahead and do that first. Unfortunately I left my "factor service manuals" back @ school.

I removed the rod bearings and I also removed what I would assume is some sort of oil return.

I was wondering if there was anything special I need to be aware of when I am removing the oil pickup tube? What should I be careful about.

Also, a really dumb question, can the pistons come out the top?

Lastly, when I unbolt the girdle, I will be able to remove the crank that way, correct?

I haven't damaged anything yet, so now would not be a good time to start.

Thanks Guys. Without rennlist I would have never been able to do my engine removal and will not be able to complete my engine rebuild. I'll make sure and take photos of my engine parts in the dorm room where I am staying this summer. I have never removed an engine nor diassembled one before, so I guess this was a good place to start.
Bag and tag everything!!! and I do mean everything take pictures of the bolts
and where each bolts goes... I am deep into a re-build and I wish I had taken more pictures. the factory manual does not detail bolt location or size on the girdle Hanes manual is almost useless....I am reassembling my girdle and I have some long bolts and I don't which holes they go into? also I think there where two 10mm studs? on the girdle I will be dammed I don't know where they go? also

The differance between hell and heaven knowing what the heck you are doing..
Old 07-15-2006, 04:05 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that by unbolting the girdle, the crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons would come off as one unit.....no?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:21 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you take the pistons out the top, watch the sides of the rods as you pass through the cylinder walls, you can nick the walls if you aren't careful.

Quick Reply: Almost There