Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where to get poly bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 PM
J_Kapp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to get poly bushings?

Can anyone recommend a web site and/or company where I can get polyurethane bushings for my control arms?

Thanks is advance

Jordan
Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Paragon Products sells poly and delrin
Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Be careful where you run Poly bushings, they can self-create stress risers in "weak" parts by limiting pivot and/or binding.

Be sure the poly you buy is impregnated with a friction reducing agent (ie. carbon), or you do the teflon tape trick (cover the bushing friction surface in teflon tape).
Old 05-23-2006, 11:51 PM
J_Kapp
Advanced

as far as delrin bushings go, do they need to be lubricated or have some sort of low friction surface put on them (i.e. teflon tape)?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:31 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some silicone bushing grease.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by azmi951
I have some silicone bushing grease.
That stuff lasts for about a few months before it works it's way out.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by J_Kapp
as far as delrin bushings go, do they need to be lubricated or have some sort of low friction surface put on them (i.e. teflon tape)?
I don't believe Delrin has the same problem as some of the older Poly bushings, but I have not used it extensively.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

What are the pros and cons of Poly vs Derlin ? I thought Derlin was the way to go ?
Sorry for the OT
Regards
Ed
Old 05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I think most of the poly bushings available are graphite impregnated (poly-graphite bushings.....).

Paragon sells some and Performance Products, the Weltmeister product line.

I have used a few welmeister bushings for rear suspension compoments and was very disappointed in the material properties and fitment. Replaced them all with Delrin - carrier flange bearings and spring plate bushings.

Generally, any of the solid bushings should really only be considered for a primarily track duty car. If youre concerned about squeaking and various noises coming from your suspension on a street car, use the stock rubber mounts/bushings.

If you do go with solid bushings, use any various types of grease as a lube. The grease will also help keep water out of the joints, but will collect dirt and will need to be reapplied periodically if you do a lot of street driving. Cant imagine teflon tape working on any of the bearing/bushing/bolting surfaces - maybe a teflon paste/lube.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
I think most of the poly bushings available are graphite impregnated (poly-graphite bushings.....).

Paragon sells some and Performance Products, the Weltmeister product line.

I have used a few welmeister bushings for rear suspension compoments and was very disappointed in the material properties and fitment. Replaced them all with Delrin - carrier flange bearings and spring plate bushings.

Generally, any of the solid bushings should really only be considered for a primarily track duty car. If youre concerned about squeaking and various noises coming from your suspension on a street car, use the stock rubber mounts/bushings.

If you do go with solid bushings, use any various types of grease as a lube. The grease will also help keep water out of the joints, but will collect dirt and will need to be reapplied periodically if you do a lot of street driving. Cant imagine teflon tape working on any of the bearing/bushing/bolting surfaces - maybe a teflon paste/lube.
Thanks Dennis
I was primarily thinking of Derlin for the front 30 mm sway bar. and only where the drop links and at the ends of the bar (Car being mainly street now, the main reason reason I was thinking of this is because of the shift of the rubber bushings)
In the past to keep it from slipping out I put SS band clamps on either side of all the bushings.... It really did the trick but looks pretty ugly....
Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Where to get poly bushings?