Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Garret GT35R Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The guy who tuned my car made a joke that everything under 30 psi is concidere as naturally aspirated! LOL."

I've posted this before and always get "prove it!!!" But my mech. and co owner tracked ans street 951's for years. Acctually, he got the 1st or 2nd 951 that ever came into FL. Bought it straight from Brumos.

Anyway, they would add bigger injectors, bypass CV and run 2 BAR all day long. Yes, 2 bar as in 30psi. Of course with stock k26 and NO wastgate they would make tons of hp/tq in the low and mid range and the boost would of course roll off real fast up top due to the comprossor running out of room. So there was full on hard boost down low and then in the high revs when it was dangerous it was rolled down to 12-14psi by then.

I asked, the first time they told me, about fuel mapping and said, "that's what the DME is for and the rising rate FPR." They agree it is not as accurate as a MAF/Piggy back etc. but said they never blew a motor doing this.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM
tedesco
Instructor

these guys seem to be truly`'experts'....
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 AM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What really confuses the hell out of me, is how some "experts" (not that I am) say that a gt35 is a bad idea on a 2.5l when a BMW guy here has a 2002 running something like a T4 p-trim (I have his old test turbo in my avatar, with those specs) with 20psi and getting 700rwhp, dyno proven.
Those little Bimmer motors aren't high revving engines by nature, so he can't have boost coming on all that late, especially when I hear his wife drove the car and popped the front end off the ground...

I do agree that with conventional tuning and hardware, the GT30 series would be a great turbo for our cars for the average guy. "Average" being content with 350rwhp

On the same token, I played with my buddy's stock SRT-4 and got it pegging the boost gauge by 2500rpm on 3/4 throttle. Granted its a little buggy with boost slamming the crap out of the motor that fast, but at least I managed it, right
Old 05-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Markus951
Racer

Well you can drop as big turbo as you want for the car you like and make as many hp as you want, if you are after BIG NUMBERS only. This is the matter of perspectives you have!

#1 there is no such thing as too big turbo, there are only variety of rpm ranges
#2 getting power is not hard, making it drivable is..
#3 making an engine is not hard but, the problems are.

I personally dont think that GT35R is bad turbo for our cars it really depends what are the goals, what is the car build for.. and GT30R is by far 500 crank hp turbo in our cars and 550hp turbo in cars with dual overhead camshafts (do to the fackt that the head will flow more on high rpm).
Old 05-25-2006, 02:26 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Markus951
Well you can drop as big turbo as you want for the car you like and make as many hp as you want, if you are after BIG NUMBERS only. This is the matter of perspectives you have!

#1 there is no such thing as too big turbo, there are only variety of rpm ranges
#2 getting power is not hard, making it drivable is..
#3 making an engine is not hard but, the problems are.

I personally dont think that GT35R is bad turbo for our cars it really depends what are the goals, what is the car build for.. and GT30R is by far 500 crank hp turbo in our cars and 550hp turbo in cars with dual overhead camshafts (do to the fackt that the head will flow more on high rpm).

I've got the dyno numbers for other cars to prove these statements. The GT series turbos can come in a number of "trims". One GT 30R Turbo made over 530Hp to the wheels. T-3 .84A/R Exhaust Housing. DOHC IVTEC K20A (RSX Type S motor) (Stock block by the way with 11:1 Compression ratio - But C116 Fuel) Ask your supplier about more details on what housings and trim specs will fit your needs.

Furthermore. I've seen many "Chipped" Volkswagon's/Audi's Peg 23psi right away on stock 1.8turbos and drop to about 9psi at max Power. (personally watched as I dynoed) - Basically whats stated above in a previous post. Tons of low end power that never raises as the compressor loses breath to red line. I'm not saying it's right, but its still done more than you think.

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-26-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"these guys seem to be truly`'experts'"

They say the same thing about postings on the internet

I would put them in a room with VR,LR,Powerhaus, GURU, etc. comparing Porsche knowledge and expereince any day of the week.

True, "outside the box" stuff they are less involved wit hand are more in the "purest" realm but they have no problems with modifcaitons and running a Porsche the way it was intended; ***** out on a track all day long.

The older owner in particual used to be parters and run cars together and is good friends with Alex Job. Anyone happen to know that name????
Old 05-25-2006, 04:57 PM
AL951
Racer

Alex Job, of course, he runs a team of 911 GT3s in ALMS GT2. and also has a car running in Rolex DP series. Very seccesfull guy. Has won many chanpionsips. He is spanking some Lexus and Pontiac butt on the Rolex series with his little Flat six.

Do you know him personaly?

Regards,
AL
Old 05-26-2006, 12:58 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

My point exaclty

No, I do not know him, the mech/owner does and used to be partners in racing back in the day. I ahve seen pics to prove that as well.

Quick Reply: Garret GT35R Turbocharger