Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

One lap of America

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 352 Posts

There are plenty of people who associate with charitable causes while running One Lap. Believe me, the charitable causes could care less, as long as you're raising exposure for their cause and or giving them money.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Blitzen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran in a 993 twin turbo with about 550 BHP; lot of fun, that car. I very much enjoyed the experience, and plan to do it again.

And when all was said and done, we donated something like $10k to a Juvenile Diabetes charity.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:26 PM
lapex
Instructor

I was part of that caravan last year and we didnt do 120 the whole way. We have found that if you go triple digits for long stretches, you WILL get a ticket. We try to stay in the 80-90 mph range and that only on deserted interstate and usually late at night. I met the 944 turbo guy in last years event and they were really cool. Their car was fast too, but had some trouble on the tracks where it was raining. When the turbo would kick, they were all over the place, but good drivers and not afraid to point guys buy that were getting better traction. I am entered again for this year. If you can, try to come out and see the cars, there are some really wild ones. Case in point, last year it ranged from chrysler minivans to a 900 HP Dodge Viper with a 7.0 L GM and twin turbos.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm doing it this year in my Audi S4 Avant.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:20 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by docwyte
There are plenty of people who associate with charitable causes while running One Lap. Believe me, the charitable causes could care less, as long as you're raising exposure for their cause and or giving them money.
Well Doc I like your perspective, but you are very mistaken.

I have worked with a number of charity organizations over the years. Every one I have dealt with would very much care.

You seem to forget that the public as a whole as being put at risk by such activity. 120mph on any highway creates a safety concerns at best for residents.

How responsible is any charity organization that knowingly supports such activity? Even worse, what low character and moral fiber people must have to mislead a charity by witholding such information.

Poor form in my book
Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Quite a while back, a buddy of mine who has since passed away, ran One Lap in an RV. He didn't set any land speed records, but he and his crew were always well-rested. He had the right attitude of making it an adventure without making it an ordeal.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:25 PM
lapex
Instructor

The whole premise of one lap based on Brock's book is that a well trained driver in a properly maintained car is safer at 80 mph than a poorly maintained driver distracted by cellphones etc is at 55mph. He ran the first Cannonball to protest the 55 mph speed limit back in the 70's. The tracks were added so that the cars could really show what they had and the transits on the highways are usually done within legal limits but there are some exceptions, like 3 am on a deserted interstate, we let the cars gallop a little. My charities have never been concerned about public outcry, because there typically is very little of that. We try to behave respectfully on the roads within the limits of getting to our destination in time to get 2-3 hours of sleep.

Quick Reply: One lap of America