Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When upgrading to a larger turbo is it necesary to go with a new set of chips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Wow, that doesn't sound like an elitist statement. I take this to mean that you associate all Hondas with moronic ricers? This shows how little you know. I personally don't like Hondas, however I'll be the first to admit that people have done some crazy and technologically impressive things with them. I'm sure you actually could find better tech on some Honda forums, as there most likely isn't an elitist old-tech attitude hindering the progression of the performance envelope with those cars. You guys could learn a thing or 2 from the Japanese "tuning" scene. Heck, cars 1/4th the age of ours have already easily surpassed the performance envelope of the most built 951's around. Personally, seeing things like that makes me take notice and wonder what technology could be applied to our cars.

What's with the hostile attitude? At no point did I ever say you can throw any turbo on a car and it will run just fine. If you read my posts thoroughly (sorry, I realize I practically type novels & will try to keep it short ) you will see that I was simply trying to explain the function of a maf, and what the limitations are of switching turbos as the thread starter asked.

I'm sure they don't want to get caught up in the sh*tstorm. Saying anything out of the norm around here just invites a flame fest. Whatever happened to being open-minded?
Elitists statement, hah, if you knew me you would laugh your *** off about that…….. I should have wheels painted on my house. My full intent of that post is on the Honduh boards, just like stang net, and the other “popular” car forums is that they are filled with misinformation from 16 year old whipper-snappers who read some obscure post somewhere, or takes something their buddy told them, and apply it as gospel. Hell one of our “old experts” Danno used to do the same thing and a few of us caught him doing it. Guess how many motors he destroyed. Of course there are some guys out there who can tune’em and I see them at the track on the weekends, not at the local mall sipping on a jamba juice. Those guys are the ones that impress me but they’re the minority over there as well, not the majority. Every year we get a few newbie’s who come over and make unqualified statements because they did something else on another car which is not comparing apples to apples. The problem with this is other newbie’s who ask legitimate questions and pay the price for speculation. I could sit here and tell you about all the cars I’ve modified and how much horsepower I’ve made but it’s irrelevant on a web board as well as how it applies to the 951. I don’t care if someone got 10,000 HP out of a Briggs & Stratton powered riding mower, that doesn’t qualify that person as an expert on a 951. What I will tell you is that in 15 years of playing with cars, I’ve modified every one I’ve owned, used every possible power adder, and never popped a motor because A/F ratios, EGT’s and a solid understanding of the ECU operation are the focuses of build not some obscure statement by someone who made a gazillion HP on a Chevy 2 with a 671 hanging out of the hood. Two weeks ago I was autocrossing (not very well) in NJ and while working one of the corners I was talking with a guy who had a 450HP STI so the conversation was about turbos and such. A 911 guy asked us what the difference was between a BOV and a wastegate and the guy with the STI couldn’t properly explain it and really had no clue how the wastegate operated but was quick to quote how much HP he makes and what the guys on the WRX forums tell him. Here are just a few statements in this thread that concern me…

(- If you are running a MAF then no.)
(- My headgasket is fine, and this engine has seen over 600whp.)
(- I don't know my AFR, but like I said before the car runs and performs just find. I also get very little Knock)
(- to much knock is very bad for any engine. But a little will not damage the engine.)
(but very, very small amounts will not damage the engine. If Porsche did not think the engine could handle it, they wouldn't have had the Knock sensor in the first place.)

Personally I love it when a guy with a stock turbo and another guy who doesn’t even own a 951 gives advice on someone else’s dime. My suggestion is to try some mods on these cars on your own dime and apply your cross over tuning techniques and then post your experience not your theory. Until then take some advice from guys who have done it, learn a bit about the limitations of the 25 year old motronic and CC design, throw away your copy of Maximum Boost, or just prove us wrong. Better yet, call John Milledge, Chris White, Scott Gomes, TT or Vitesse and discuss your analysis and they’ll laugh in your face. Until then, my signature still applies to this post.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by testarossa_td

That's a great picture!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Every year we get a few newbie’s who come over and make unqualified statements because they did something else on another car which is not comparing apples to apples........I don’t care if someone got 10,000 HP out of a Briggs & Stratton powered riding mower, that doesn’t qualify that person as an expert on a 951.
Herein lies the problem with this section of the forum, and quite possibly other sections. Do you not realize that engines are just air pumps? The same laws apply regardless of the badge on the hood. Personally, I LOVE these cars, but they still operate on the same principles that someone's daily driver Civic does. Sure there are differences in design, layout, etc.

Personally I love it when a guy with a stock turbo and another guy who doesn’t even own a 951 gives advice on someone else’s dime. My suggestion is to try some mods on these cars on your own dime and apply your cross over tuning techniques and then post your experience not your theory. Until then take some advice from guys who have done it, learn a bit about the limitations of the 25 year old motronic and CC design, throw away your copy of Maximum Boost, or just prove us wrong. Better yet, call John Milledge, Chris White, Scott Gomes, TT or Vitesse and discuss your analysis and they’ll laugh in your face. Until then, my signature still applies to this post.
Uh, I'm not exactly a newbie. I have a 431rwhp '87 Carrera with a Protomotive stage 3 turbo kit and built 3.4l. I've experimented with plenty of cars, although I realize I am probably a bit younger than many of you and don't quite have as much experience. However, before I bought my first Porsche I was in the Japanese sports car scene. What's driving me crazy about this forum is there is so much more advanced technology out there that could really improve our cars, and very few seem to realize this or even care. There are a select few here (VR) that have really pushed the limits of many of the stock components, such as the Motronic. That's great, and I've been really impressed with what John and ST have accomplished. I wish more people around here would push the limits of their cars with newer technology though. Jesus, there are still people using MBC's on their 350rwhp+ built cars around here!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Uh, I'm not exactly a newbie. I have a 431rwhp '87 Carrera with a Protomotive stage 3 turbo kit and built 3.4l.
This reminds me of that kid in the primered minitruck that annoyed me yesterday. His two funny quotes were:

"How much money do you have in your pocket?"...

and

"Let me go home and get my other car!"

Oddly enough, he never came back with his other car...but I brought mine!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Uh, I'm not exactly a newbie. I have a 431rwhp '87 Carrera with a Protomotive stage 3 turbo kit and built 3.4l.

Which explains, both, your extensive technical contributions and your significant involvment on the 930 and 911 boards.

This thread is not about the resistant culture to new information and technology. It is about preserving the ethic of proven systems. Most contributors here are gears heads to the Nth degree. What you won't find (at least from the older crowd you seem to be complaining about) is tolerance for unproven bull****. If you want make claims about how well your car works with a given part or set-up, back it up with dynos, AFR maps, photos. Bull**** like what Drifto is selling doesn't hold up without evidence.

Back it up or shut it up. It's simple. If you find better way to accomplish something or find a great part, show us!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

test.. um.. you forgot to complete the cycle.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are still people using MBC's on their 350rwhp+ built cars around here!

And whats wrong with keeping things simple ?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Floyd
And whats wrong with keeping things simple ?
Because thats not how they did it on "Fast and Furious" so of course its wrong.....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
I will make a post to back up my perspective tomorrow. Feel free to get your points in.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
Because thats not how they did it on "Fast and Furious" so of course its wrong.....
I luv da movie man, I need nos.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Personally I love it when a guy with a stock turbo and another guy who doesn’t even own a 951 gives advice on someone else’s dime
SR20VET (2.0L DOHC - 86.5x86mm)
SR20DET Block (53J)
SR20VE Head (322cfm @ 28" Intake - OS Valves, Ti Retainers, Springs)
SR16VE Camshafts (OEM Cams)
9.0:1 Arias Pistons (Casidium Coated Wrist Pins - Custom Design - Swain Skirt Coating)
Crower Titanium Rods (ARP2000 Bolts)
Clevite 77 Bearings
Knife-Edged 8CW OEM Crankshaft
OS Giken TR2B-C Twin Carbon Plate Clutch
Garrett GT3582R .82 A/R Turbocharger w/ Surge Housing
Tial 38mm Wastegate (0.7 BAR Spring)
ARP Headstuds / Mainstuds
MLS Headgasket
3-Stage Dry Sump
Moroso Electric Water Pump
Twin Z32 (300ZX Turbo) Fuel Pumps
Aeromotive FPR
Etc.

Here is the only dyno I have of the car on my computer. It is at 12 PSI, the engine has produced more, and it's peak RPM is 10700. I am leary of taking it higher due in part to drivetrain harmonics and bearing longevity.

The engine is currently dissassembled for a bearing and ring switch-out.

The engine is tuned by myself using a Motec M400.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Oh and I will be assisting Porschephile with his 951 engine build.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:40 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, but what does it have to do with the stock management system on a 951?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I've given up the idea of teaching elementry thermodynamic and fluid flow principles to people that can't understand a simple post.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by sweanders
Nice, but what does it have to do with the stock management system on a 951?
People were questioning my capability?

Quick Reply: When upgrading to a larger turbo is it necesary to go with a new set of chips?