Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When upgrading to a larger turbo is it necesary to go with a new set of chips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IPSC, after hearing what type of setup you have, and the problems it may have had in the past I would highly recommend at least a piggyback. If you can afford it, VR does tune chips very well. Any knock is never a good thing. Also, with a 27/6 you are going to be pushing your injectors pretty hard, so you might want to consider upgrading. You can cheat a little by running higher fuel pressure, however this will only go so far.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:43 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, 55lbs injectors are also on the buy list. Is there any preferance for one brand over another? I would love to cross the 300 hp and tq mark. Is that within the capabilities of the K27/6? Also not to divert things, at what point does the Autothority MAF become too small?

One of the big selling points to this 951 was the larger turbo and MAF already installed. The PO swore it was making 300 hp. Little did I know that the underlying problems (missed by no less than 2 PPIs) would more than negate ANY savings had by buying this example.

IPSC
Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Autothority has proven their value to you. Nice customer service. It appears they care little about the customer after the sale has been made.

You should consider site sponsers like Vitesse as you will receive satisfaction. My opinion only.

Injectors...I have a K27/6 as well and am running 55 injectors. Picked them up from:

http://www.racetronix.com/3102FM.html
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike B
I think Autothority has proven their value to you. Nice customer service. It appears they care little about the customer after the sale has been made.

You should consider site sponsers like Vitesse as you will receive satisfaction. My opinion only.

Injectors...I have a K27/6 as well and am running 55 injectors. Picked them up from:

http://www.racetronix.com/3102FM.html
Ohhh I agree Autothority is past thier prime and if I were buying new I would not buy from them. they are WAY overpriced for what the deliver. I imagine 10 or more years ago they were one of the front runners in modding the 951 but those days are gone.

I should have just found a stock car and bought something like the Lindsey 340 kit. I have this sneaking suspicion that when I am done nothing of the original upgrades will still be on the car...

Oh and if you don't mind me asking, what kind of numbers are you getting out of your k27?

IPSC
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Holy ****, some of the advice on this thread is by far the worst I've ever seen and I've been around a while. You could get better advice on the Honduh boards. This flat out just scares me. Rest assured that I will be picking up some cars from people who listen to some of this advice and pop a motor.

Doesn't it seem odd that our "experts" aren't responding? Streck, i'm with you buddy.

Some knock is okay......... That's a pisser and the main reason I stay on the 951forums board.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Jeremy,
That Turby reference is hysterical. I had not noticed that before....
Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Jeremy,
That Turby reference is hysterical. I had not noticed that before....
I hope that doesn't overshadow my last signature reference..... They seem to be breeding quicker then we can weed them out.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Holy ****, some of the advice on this thread is by far the worst I've ever seen and I've been around a while. You could get better advice on the Honduh boards. This flat out just scares me. Rest assured that I will be picking up some cars from people who listen to some of this advice and pop a motor.
Wow, that doesn't sound like an elitist statement. I take this to mean that you associate all Hondas with moronic ricers? This shows how little you know. I personally don't like Hondas, however I'll be the first to admit that people have done some crazy and technologically impressive things with them. I'm sure you actually could find better tech on some Honda forums, as there most likely isn't an elitist old-tech attitude hindering the progression of the performance envelope with those cars. You guys could learn a thing or 2 from the Japanese "tuning" scene. Heck, cars 1/4th the age of ours have already easily surpassed the performance envelope of the most built 951's around. Personally, seeing things like that makes me take notice and wonder what technology could be applied to our cars.

What's with the hostile attitude? At no point did I ever say you can throw any turbo on a car and it will run just fine. If you read my posts thoroughly (sorry, I realize I practically type novels & will try to keep it short ) you will see that I was simply trying to explain the function of a maf, and what the limitations are of switching turbos as the thread starter asked.

Doesn't it seem odd that our "experts" aren't responding? Streck, i'm with you buddy.
I'm sure they don't want to get caught up in the sh*tstorm. Saying anything out of the norm around here just invites a flame fest. Whatever happened to being open-minded?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

to do it properly, without a strong chance of blowing a head gasket/scoring a cylinder.... YES!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 AM
AL951
Racer

Hi,

Let me start by saying that I 'm no expert, and I don't think Porschefile and other said they were.
We did not come here to be judge, and more importanly, we are not here to offend by other people!

I am talking from my own experience . It is clear that everyone has a difference of opinion. In no way did I told anyone to do what I did, that is up to the person to do what they want with their money and their car. For me it is working find, I am happy and honestly that is what it matters.

On the knock issue, It is perty clear that it is no a good thing , but very, very small amounts will not damage the engine. If Porsche did not think the engine could handle it, they wouldn't have had the Knock sensor in the first place.

again, I am no here to prove anything and I have no problem with any of you, All I ask is to be respectful with all the people in this forum.

Regards,
AL
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 AM
AL951
Racer

Lart,

thanks for the offer, but you are not going to wait long enough, because Is not going to blow (I hope)any time soon. But if it blows your are first on the list.

Regards,
AL
Old 05-10-2006, 05:19 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock is not OK ever, and if there is knock that can you can feel and and hear there is certainly knock that you won't notice..
Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AL951
If Porsche did not think the engine could handle it, they wouldn't have had the Knock sensor in the first place.
Funny, I thought the knock sensor was there because the car can't handle it as detonation breaks important and expesive bits of engines. What do you think the knock sensor does?

Originally Posted by AL951
Lart,
because Is not going to blow (I hope) any time soon. But if it blows your are first on the list.
Regards,
AL
Now that's confidence if I ever saw it. can get what parts Lart doesn't want?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:51 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Wow, that doesn't sound like an elitist statement.

It's not an elitist statement.

The point being, IPSC asked a very simple question about needing chips when upgrading the turbo. The only appropriate answers are those discussing the need to adjust the fuel to match the boost (whether your opinion favors chips or piggybacks). There are a few ways to accomplish this and WAY too much time was spent on the shady idea of adding the turbo and leaving the fuel alone. The most basic tenant of turbo cars

Suggestions that "It will be OK for a while" or "Run 8psi" or "My friends car ran fine until it blew up" are counterproductive to the point of being criminal.

Those seeking advice on upgrading their engine should not receive suggestions on how do it half-assed. Though there are many paths to upgrading engines, some basic laws must be obeserved. Among those most basic is that any time airflow is increased fuel must be increased to maintain a safe AFR.

AL,
I know you are happy with your car right now. However, you do not know what is going on with your car and, unfortunately, we may find out how happy you really are when your headgasket blows and you learn that your cylinder walls are scored. But fu*k it; it was fun for a while, right?

Porschefile,
You know enough about how these cars work but you need think of the advice you are giving. You know how to do it right so don't allude to the idea that it can be done wrong. Adding components and then recommending limits to make it work, is not the right path. I agree with you that some Honda tuners have done great things. They seem to be either in the minority or least vocal group. Jeremy was refering to the more vocal majority that obviously don't know jack squat about cars except what they saw in Fast and Furiously Stupid.

Good Luck, all.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Quick Reply: When upgrading to a larger turbo is it necesary to go with a new set of chips?